Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Opticianry Summit?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    But Drk think about this. If optometry didn't edumacate itself than we'd still be opticians.
    With all due respect!

I think that's why history isn't our guide, here. Not trying to be inflammatory, but how do we know that WWII took us out of the depression? How do we know that Reagan got the economy kickstarted in the '80's? We don't. Therefore, just because "it worked for ODs in the first half of the 20th century" doesn't mean it will work under different conditions.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Yeah, let's keep Opticians the equivalent of "barefoot and pregnant". Gimme a break, excellent programs are already in place and have been for a very long time. The real issue is whether employers are willing to adequately compensate college-educated Opticians. The dispensary accounts for more than 60% of a practices' income, yet ECP's regularly entrust it to the least educated person available. Now, before you all get up on your hind legs, I am in practices all over my territory and I deal with that reality every day.
    Peace out.
    Do you see everything through the aggrieved party viewpoint? You're not going to get anywhere blaming others.

Are these programs accessible to people in Cleveland? Memphis? Tuscaloosa? Salt Lake City? I thought not. There's not enough of them, and there isn't going to be enough of them unless Dr. McDonald can sell PROFITABLE opticianry programs to community colleges across the country. Not happening. Ever.

Why not do what idispense says? Create the demand, first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Do you see everything through the aggrieved party viewpoint? You're not going to get anywhere blaming others.

Are these programs accessible to people in Cleveland? Memphis? Tuscaloosa? Salt Lake City? I thought not. There's not enough of them, and there isn't going to be enough of them unless Dr. McDonald can sell PROFITABLE opticianry programs to community colleges across the country. Not happening. Ever.

To be fair, there's very little of anything that's accessible in SLC. Thank our local theocracy...I mean legislature. Perhaps if you can sell the program to "the" church here first...then you'll have an 'in'. ;) Hehehehe

Carry on.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I, for one, always like to see Opticians moving forward. AZ is a Licensed State that went from requiring their own test to requiring the ABO and NCLE prior to taking the state practical. We have to have 12 CE's every 3 years. I would like to see more, but we are fighting to save our licensure (we are up for "sunset" via our state legislature this year). Our state assoiation has been very active in making sure we stay licensed. However.......prior to opening my own shop, I worked for a wholesale lab. I would go and talk to Dr's about the importance of an experienced Optician vs someone off of the streets. I always felt like I was talking to the wall, money was more important. I KNOW that all Dr's are not of this mind-set.
    If we all agree that education is important, that Licensure is valued, we need to put our petty greivinces (about spelling) aside. Anything that will move us forward in a positive light is better than nothing at all. I also know that not being one of the "chosen" few in our state does not stop me from persuing better things for my fellow Opticians.
    I will always strive for the betterment of our field. The more educated we are, the better service we can provide to our patients, and if we work for someone, it will also provide our employers with a more satisfied patient base.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie,
    Thanks for going and representing us!!! Keep up your hard work.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why should the programs be easily accessible to everyone? Optometry schools are harder to find than 3 dollar bills. I agree there should be one in each state though.
    And I think my school kicked butt.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Why should the programs be easily accessible to everyone? Optometry schools are harder to find than 3 dollar bills. I agree there should be one in each state though.
    And I think my school kicked butt.
    Distance Ed makes the programs available wherever there's an internet connection. And no I don't see everything as an aggrieved party, simply through eyes wide open.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

C'Mon Dr K......Is this statement being made by the same person who said education was NOT the answer. How can you be serious, certainly not by the flawed logic you used below the offensive post in question. Now we see you ask.......then not wait for but to answer your own question in a post above this. You must be typing just to hear the sound of the keys because your argument simply does not hold water. What in Heaven's name are you afraid of?? Opticians taking their rightful place at the table. Give us a break and watch what happens. The subject of this thread is the Optical summit. Why not try sticking to the subject?
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If graduates possessed a serious skill set that employers would recognize meant they would do right, make money, and make their patients recommend friends and family, they would be kings of the optical world.

Prism/schlism. Old benchmarks really don't deliver what is important today.

B

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Ecco.................................................

Why not check how they do it in Europe ???????????????????

ECCO

WELCOME

to the website of the European Council of Optometry and Optics
    ECOO-online at your service: On this page you will find information about our organisation, our aims and our activities. In future we will also provide information about vision, visual health, optometry and optics.

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

This website contains a restricted area for administrative and communicative use by ECOO's member organizations.

ECOO's Vision

To improve vision and eye health by providing high-quality, cost-effective optometric and optical services across Europe.

ECOO’s Mission

To eliminate avoidable blindness and visual impairment in Europe.

To create a harmonised professional and educational system for optometry and optics based on the European Diploma in Optometry and Optics.

To develop the scope of practice for optometrists and opticians to the degree that the same high standards apply and are mutually recognized in all European countries

http://www.ecoo.info/

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    If graduates possessed a serious skill set that employers would recognize meant they would do right, make money, and make their patients recommend friends and family, they would be kings of the optical world.

Prism/schlism. Old benchmarks really don't deliver what is important today.

B
    That's what I'm talking about, the old benchmark which was put in place by older opticians who's time has come. I was having a talk the other day with a bright mind and the subject of older opticians was brought up and the older benchmarks they hold newer opticians too. It's funny how every old guy likes to reminice about how they hand edged and rocked cylinders when the reality of the situation is that they needed someone to clean the slurry buckets back then like they do in the present. The toilets were just as heavily used in those labs as they are today.

The skills of the future revolve around the sale, client retention, relationship building, and martketing. These are truly valuable skills.

I would also like to point out that by some definitions opticians are independent practitioners, I work for an OD and have worked under another professional almost my entire career, so by some definitions I am not an optician. I don't mind being called a frame stylist, technician, or sales clerk. From my point of view the independent optical owner (The Optician) is always my competitor and the worst offender towards this profession. To illustrate I will give three examples:

1) Me working for an OD:
    I will never be able to write a script or do some of the things the OD does so the clients in the office are always his, since he provides additional services beyond my immediate reach.

2) Me working for an OMD:
    Same reason as above amplified.

3) Me working for an independent Optician:
    If I am better then him/her I can open up across the street and offer the same level of service or better.

Most of the master opticians I know have never hired another smart (as in optical knowledge) optician in their shop, most hire recent high school grads and start the tired old apprenticeship process bragging about they're going to make the next generation of optician better all the while recreating the same trap.

On credentials, the more you get the more unemployable you become when the field shows no value towards these credentials. I hear the ABO lowers the standard because they are already having a hard time getting people to pass. Well lowering the standards erodes at the very same foundation that some try to build their careers on, for instance how many threads on this board have pointed out that the new masters test is not as stringent or as hard as the old one. That statement serves no purpose. I have seen offices with guild stickers that are not guild members, OAA stickers where there is no OAA member, and ABO certificates with 20 expired dates on them. These mentioned opticians convey the same message as the schlock who forks out good dough every 3 years to keep his/her credentials current, except the person that doesn't invest in this profession has a leg up. T

he reality is that unless the big players invest in this profession it makes no sense to try and keep a dying breed on life support. I support the opposite, let's make sure this death is as timely and polarizing as possible so whatever new profession or profession that this one gets folded into has at least a warning of what not to do.

I look forward to the death of this profession, I'll be the guy at the funeral who could afford roses. ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An Open Letter to the Opticianry Community

Your understanding or belief of opticianry or optician or whatever you wish to call it is just like your understanding of religion. I suspect that you hold some belief about what it means and how it relates to you. Just like religion some of you may be “sure” that you know what is right or true. Just like religion when we close our minds to the possibility that we are wrong or, that others may also be right but hold different beliefs than ours, then we are narrow minded bigots incapable of change.

FACT: You are not a bright as you think you are. You know what? If you were smart enough to be an engineer, doctor or scientist you would have been one. Instead you are an Optician which means, well, almost nothing in the big picture of things. Yes, I hereby state in this quasi-public forum, I am not the brightest guy, I have strengths and I have weaknesses and I manage to get by day to day but I am not brilliant, not a genius and not engineer or scientist material. Neither are you.

FACT: You are defensive of what you have and narrow minded about what you believe and cannot discern between what you believe and what is true. Here I stand apart from you. I recognize where I stand and where we stand in the pecking order of life. Where do I get this idea? Just read the White Paper and find me one verifiable fact or one statistically accurate idea.

Did You Know? There is no such thing as an optician.
    As long as we have no national recognized standard for the occupation or practice or whatever you wish to call it naming it has no real meaning. OK? Get it? Get over it! So, your state has a license requirement, big deal, ten miles away across the state border Bob calls himself an optician and he drove a taxi last week.

If you want to make progress and really look to the future then you need to accept that we need a generic term for what we call opticianry. You must also be willing to share that title with both licensed and non-licensed professionals. By professional I mean an individual that has proven by careful and realistic assessment both practical and written that they are competent optical dispensers.

FACT: The ABO exam or certification exam is a waste of money, a waste of energy and not doing our field anything worthwhile. A minimal competency exam with a low passing score is not the way to build a reputation, a field, a career or a future.

The ABO, NFOS, NAO, VCA and every other acronym under the opticianry umbrella has FAILED. This I cannot express clearly enough. If you give me an assigned task and I cannot make positive changes in five years time then I am a failure and I do not deserve to be a spokesperson or advocate for the industry. Most of these agencies have been around for fifteen, twenty, even thirty years and we are still in the exact same place. What does this tell you? I have people email me every day asking if they can buy certification from me and you know what? It is actually tempting sometimes to say yes! However, I do not and hold out for a time when I can offer certification with meaning.

Last year they held the Future of Opticianry panel discussion at Vision Expo East and guess what? We are right where we were. Last year we had the much touted “White Paper” on The Future of Opticianry and guess what? We are right where we were. Heck, they didn’t even bother to reply to comments and suggestions even after they asked for them. For more on those two events see my blog at www.opticianworks.com.

Our states are in trouble and their budgets can barely cover public safety and infrastructure support. So, folks, no state is about to require a license to practice as an optician. There is no state program that would make it a profitable situation to require a license. So, forget that route!

Again and for the hundredth time… we are not in healthcare we are in business. If you cannot see or tell the difference maybe you are too stupid to even understand this position. Let me correct that, if you cannot see or tell the difference then you are too stupid to understand this position. Saying that you are in business does not mean that you are, by default, a salesperson which is the stale old argument that I always hear.

So what do we do?
    Have you ever heard the term, “green fielding”?
    Yep, wipe the slate clean and start all over again.
    Until that happens, well, we can keep holding "summits", meetings, councils, panels, surveys and all that and guess what? We will still be right where we were.

Do I think that opticianry has a future?
    Yes and No.

Do I have ideas about where we should be going?
    Yes

Do I think we could, as an entire industry, change?
    Maybe but I worry we are to closed minded to think and look far enough ahead and far enough to the side for alternative solutions. The one direction we do not need to be looking is back!

Do I believe that I know the way forward?
    Perhaps, but I recognize that I could be wrong and that others may be right. However, in this case I doubt it.

Figure out what we do and what we need to know by asking the right people.
    Create meaningful certification.
    Certification requires hands-on assessments.
    Get buy-in from industry.
    Get buy-in from medical or healthcare side of industry.
    Agree on generic term for what we do.
    Offer certification to all who desire it.
    Make certification so rigorous that the industry notices that when they hire a “certified” optical dispensing professional that their business profits increase.

But, hey, what do I know…

Sincerely
    John Seegers
    The Optical Curmudgeon
    www.OpticianWorks.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    An Open Letter to the Opticianry Community

Your understanding or belief of opticianry or optician or whatever you wish to call it is just like your understanding of religion. I suspect that you hold some belief about what it means and how it relates to you. Just like religion some of you may be “sure” that you know what is right or true. Just like religion when we close our minds to the possibility that we are wrong or, that others may also be right but hold different beliefs than ours, then we are narrow minded bigots incapable of change.

FACT: You are not a bright as you think you are. You know what? If you were smart enough to be an engineer, doctor or scientist you would have been one. Instead you are an Optician which means, well, almost nothing in the big picture of things. Yes, I hereby state in this quasi-public forum, I am not the brightest guy, I have strengths and I have weaknesses and I manage to get by day to day but I am not brilliant, not a genius and not engineer or scientist material. Neither are you.

FACT: You are defensive of what you have and narrow minded about what you believe and cannot discern between what you believe and what is true. Here I stand apart from you. I recognize where I stand and where we stand in the pecking order of life. Where do I get this idea? Just read the White Paper and find me one verifiable fact or one statistically accurate idea.

Did You Know? There is no such thing as an optician.
    As long as we have no national recognized standard for the occupation or practice or whatever you wish to call it naming it has no real meaning. OK? Get it? Get over it! So, your state has a license requirement, big deal, ten miles away across the state border Bob calls himself an optician and he drove a taxi last week.

If you want to make progress and really look to the future then you need to accept that we need a generic term for what we call opticianry. You must also be willing to share that title with both licensed and non-licensed professionals. By professional I mean an individual that has proven by careful and realistic assessment both practical and written that they are competent optical dispensers.

FACT: The ABO exam or certification exam is a waste of money, a waste of energy and not doing our field anything worthwhile. A minimal competency exam with a low passing score is not the way to build a reputation, a field, a career or a future.

The ABO, NFOS, NAO, VCA and every other acronym under the opticianry umbrella has FAILED. This I cannot express clearly enough. If you give me an assigned task and I cannot make positive changes in five years time then I am a failure and I do not deserve to be a spokesperson or advocate for the industry. Most of these agencies have been around for fifteen, twenty, even thirty years and we are still in the exact same place. What does this tell you? I have people email me every day asking if they can buy certification from me and you know what? It is actually tempting sometimes to say yes! However, I do not and hold out for a time when I can offer certification with meaning.

Last year they held the Future of Opticianry panel discussion at Vision Expo East and guess what? We are right where we were. Last year we had the much touted “White Paper” on The Future of Opticianry and guess what? We are right where we were. Heck, they didn’t even bother to reply to comments and suggestions even after they asked for them. For more on those two events see my blog at www.opticianworks.com.

Our states are in trouble and their budgets can barely cover public safety and infrastructure support. So, folks, no state is about to require a license to practice as an optician. There is no state program that would make it a profitable situation to require a license. So, forget that route!

Again and for the hundredth time… we are not in healthcare we are in business. If you cannot see or tell the difference maybe you are too stupid to even understand this position. Let me correct that, if you cannot see or tell the difference then you are too stupid to understand this position. Saying that you are in business does not mean that you are, by default, a salesperson which is the stale old argument that I always hear.

So what do we do?
    Have you ever heard the term, “green fielding”?
    Yep, wipe the slate clean and start all over again.
    Until that happens, well, we can keep holding "summits", meetings, councils, panels, surveys and all that and guess what? We will still be right where we were.

Do I think that opticianry has a future?
    Yes and No.

Do I have ideas about where we should be going?
    Yes

Do I think we could, as an entire industry, change?
    Maybe but I worry we are to closed minded to think and look far enough ahead and far enough to the side for alternative solutions. The one direction we do not need to be looking is back!

Do I believe that I know the way forward?
    Perhaps, but I recognize that I could be wrong and that others may be right. However, in this case I doubt it.

Figure out what we do and what we need to know by asking the right people.
    Create meaningful certification.
    Certification requires hands-on assessments.
    Get buy-in from industry.
    Get buy-in from medical or healthcare side of industry.
    Agree on generic term for what we do.
    Offer certification to all who desire it.
    Make certification so rigorous that the industry notices that when they hire a “certified” optical dispensing professional that their business profits increase.

But, hey, what do I know…

Sincerely
    John Seegers
    The Optical Curmudgeon
    www.OpticianWorks.com
    I'm printing this. I really see great points in your opinion and agree whole heartedly with everything said here. More importantly I'm glad you said it.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

An Open letter to John@OWDC

An Open letter to John@OWDC,

Dear John,

Poppycock! It is a shame some of us lack the time or the inclination to refute your post point by point but in passing I must ask a question that has me dying of curiosity> Just exactly who are the "right people", and to express my surprise at the statement that certification be given to all who desire it. I thought all you needed was a pulse.......no one told me I had to desire it too!

You may indeed be a curmudgeon but there's only one Cape Codger!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-30-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: addendum
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To save space, I won't "quote" John's entire post.

I am sure that what he said hurt some/many of those that read it. If you read it, line by line, and digest it, most of it makes sense. And even though Harry J. may not realize it, your camps are not that far apart.

I also think that eveyone that desires certification, and can prove that desire, should be certified. How do you prove the desire? Education, as well as hands on assessments. If that were to happen, much of what John wrote would become a lie.

I want to keep this positive, and won't go into what I don't agree with. The reality is, many of the posters to this thread all have same goal, others are intimidated, while others are concerned their lack of knowledge might be revealed.

One thing I do want to point out is the fallacy that education does not get you more money. The company I run pays it's opticians very well...but not all of them. Those that hit the books, whether through formal education or on their own, become more valuable to the company. Those that stagnate, and refuse to grow are rewarded with a pay grade that doesn't seem to grow.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    An Open letter to John@OWDC,

Dear John,

Poppycock! It is a shame some of us lack the time or the inclination to refute your post point by point but in passing I must ask a question that has me dying of curiosity> Just exactly who are the "right people", and to express my surprise at the statement that certification be given to all who desire it. I thought all you needed was a pulse.......no one told me I had to desire it too!

You may indeed be a curmudgeon but there's only one Cape Codger!

Odd that you believe that you can refute it point by point.
    Hence I think you are missing the point.
    The right people are or persons are everyone who has a relationship with the optical dispenser.
    public, doctor, lab, vendors, reps, other opticians...

EARNED certification not just GIVEN

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I know that Johns-OWDC and PhiTrace' s opinions will not be popular here. One person even called PhiTrace a Troll. Although opinions tend to get heated and strong, its these contrary opinions that we need to read, assess and take into consideration to build a stronger plan and community. Without their input we don't have a very strong plan. I appreciate your willingness to say it straight myself, even if I don't always agree with each opinion, I consider your input valuable and I have immense respect for the passion you bring.

As an aside in another forum there was a disscussion of Sales and Business being part of good Curriculum for Opticians. During this discussion it was assumed that if you any way disagreed you were AGAINST all education. Really, the contrary posters were not against education per se, there were just against mediorce education.

The biggest problem of Opticianry has often been said a lack of formal education. (Don't argue with me, its not my focus here) Assuming that is true...

The second biggest problem of Opticianry is that we don't take the time to listen to each other, especially those we might disagree with us.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree with Barry's post 134

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I agree with Barry's post 134
    I do as well.
    John Seegers and Sharpstick have made many good points along with Barry's. I like the point/counterpoint going on here, and I think it illustrates very well what has worked, what hasn't worked, and where we need to go in the future.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I know that Johns-OWDC and PhiTrace' s opinions will not be popular here. One person even called PhiTrace a Troll. Although opinions tend to get heated and strong, its these contrary opinions that we need to read, assess and take into consideration to build a stronger plan and community. Without their input we don't have a very strong plan. I appreciate your willingness to say it straight myself, even if I don't always agree with each opinion, I consider your input valuable and I have immense respect for the passion you bring.

As an aside in another forum there was a disscussion of Sales and Business being part of good Curriculum for Opticians. During this discussion it was assumed that if you any way disagreed you were AGAINST all education. Really, the contrary posters were not against education per se, there were just against mediorce education.

The biggest problem of Opticianry has often been said a lack of formal education. (Don't argue with me, its not my focus here) Assuming that is true...

The second biggest problem of Opticianry is that we don't take the time to listen to each other, especially those we might disagree with us.
    Thank you for the support even with an opposing opinion. I enjoy seeing both sides played out, a point counter point. I agree every opinion should be heard and as John pointed out digested. Their is no wrong or right opinion, just an opinion and the culmination of various opinions paints a picture of what the group may or may not be thinking. If the board was all one sided, like I have pointed out before the soul of the board is lost.

In the past I saw eye to eye with many of the posters on this thread but through my own very real experiences I have formulated new opinions and changed my mind on old opinions. To put in better in lighter terms although I act like a donkey doesn't mean I'm an @$$.

I see that John@OWC shares a similar opinion so he must have seen or had similar experiences, I will only suggest that where there is two, others might consider that their may be more with a very similar opinion. I'm not disagreeing to disagree, I'm disagreeing because I don't feel like part of the "We" when people say opticians, I feel disenfranchised for many reasons. Some for instances:
    • retail optician vs independent optician
    • independent owner vs dependent optician
    • OD's office vs OMD's office vs Independent Opticians office
    • licensed vs unlicensed
    • certified vs uncertified vs licensed
    • apprenticed vs formal education
    • etc...

Divide and conquer at it's greatest, I once tried to obatain the top tier now I try and show up the top tier while being the lowest in the lot, I have let all but one certification go and when that expires there will be no credentials that seperate me from my clients all the while I am working my hardest to be able to stand up to and challenge the best in the profession of opticianry. The biggest threat is that I can do that, nothing stops me from being an average joe and being smarter than the highest credentialed person on this board. It goes unaddressed year after year and exploited by various other professions year after year including opticians and their organizations. Show me an organization that is willing to address that, along with some momentum in the right direction and again I will reevaluate my stance and more than likely change my ways but until then it's just swimming upstream.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please note that johns and John Seegers or john@owdc are not the same people or posters.
    i am John Seegers or john@owdc and I approved this message.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    OK: Let's start by agreeing that CONTACT LENS skills have NOTHING to do with Dispensing. Sure, an understanding of anatomy,the cornea and VD compensation is important. But knowing how to fit a soft lens is NOT useful at the dispensing desk. Awareness, yes. Mastery and certification, no.

B
    I don't know ship about anatomy, the cornea and I got rid of VD prior to marriage. I could not wear or get contacts in my eyes; have never done an I&R, but I consider myself an industry leader and great optician. How can this be?

I make sure we get the problem solved and people can see as well as possible; that gives me and the clients confidence in what we are doing and the mission is clear. They want to see as well as possible and it is not my problem what it costs.

The key to any success is being able to have the consumer recognize the value your services offer and then you will find better clients.

Who ever would have thought that the great art of fitting contacts would be over and done with for all intensive purposes. Sorry Chip lives on, but most opticians do not do contacts anymore and that is fine with me.

The world is changing and for a few of us it is more exciting than ever. Did i tell you I just ordered a new edger and can't wait to get it.

The successful people are all self motivated and will alway's be the leaders in all aspects of life!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Thank you for the support even with an opposing opinion. I enjoy seeing both sides played out, a point counter point. I agree every opinion should be heard and as John pointed out digested. Their is no wrong or right opinion, just an opinion and the culmination of various opinions paints a picture of what the group may or may not be thinking. If the board was all one sided, like I have pointed out before the soul of the board is lost.

In the past I saw eye to eye with many of the posters on this thread but through my own very real experiences I have formulated new opinions and changed my mind on old opinions. To put in better in lighter terms although I act like a donkey doesn't mean I'm an @$$.

I see that John@OWC shares a similar opinion so he must have seen or had similar experiences, I will only suggest that where there is two, others might consider that their may be more with a very similar opinion. I'm not disagreeing to disagree, I'm disagreeing because I don't feel like part of the "We" when people say opticians, I feel disenfranchised for many reasons. Some for instances:
    • retail optician vs independent optician
    • independent owner vs dependent optician
    • OD's office vs OMD's office vs Independent Opticians office
    • licensed vs unlicensed
    • certified vs uncertified vs licensed
    • apprenticed vs formal education
    • etc...
    Divide and conquer at it's greatest, I once tried to obatain the top tier now I try and show up the top tier while being the lowest in the lot, I have let all but one certification go and when that expires there will be no credentials that seperate me from my clients all the while I am working my hardest to be able to stand up to and challenge the best in the profession of opticianry. The biggest threat is that I can do that, nothing stops me from being an average joe and being smarter than the highest credentialed person on this board. It goes unaddressed year after year and exploited by various other professions year after year including opticians and their organizations. Show me an organization that is willing to address that, along with some momentum in the right direction and again I will reevaluate my stance and more than likely change my ways but until then it's just swimming upstream.
    So is the answer, to become rebels? Rogue opticians who dare to be all they can be by casting off all paper credentials for lab smarts and street cred? ABO and state licenses be damned, we meet underground to become a new secret society who's gang symbols are long lost thickness calculations mixed with free form formulas?

Naively enough, I thought I would have a respectable career when I became an optician, but these last few days' posts make me seriously wonder if I should think about a new job path.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Naively enough, I thought I would have a respectable career when I became an optician, but these last few days' posts make me seriously wonder if I should think about a new job path.
    What are you doing that causes you to have a now non-respectable career? You seem respectable to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will posit one last idea: The more violently you object to my stated position the more likely it is that you are part of the problem.
    You are the reason we are stuck where we are and have been for thirty some years.
    Does my letter really tick you off?
    Then take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourself why?

Thread Information