Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Opticianry Summit?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are on the same train , in the same book , wanting to end up in the same last chapter only our method of getting there is different . Be reasonable do it my way . Have you studied the concept in practise by looking at the OCC Licensed Optician.ca branding ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "Idispense makes lot of sense."

Put that on a t-shirt.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    You must also understand, my Canadian friend, that the term Optician in the US is far different than it is there. In Canada, and you know I have spent much time there, Opticians have to go through some formal education and have similar backgrounds. Here in the US that is not the case. In 27 states, the arduous requirement to enter this field is a pulse, and I even question that in a few cases! Even in licensed states, they cannot agree with anything different than what their state does, which is a real issue. US Opticians must develop a similar background before we will ever really reach any significant change. And whehter the education-haters (usually because they lack one) want to agree or not, it must include a formal education component.

That is the beauty of what I suggest. It does not matter what the Individual States require or do not require, it will only matter what the Registered trademark Brand will require as that brand gets firmly rooted into the consumers mind. Those wayward states will have to refocus on what our brand requires and that brand will require compliance not the States. That is the essence of why it was trademarked in Canada.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Think MLS , think REALTOR , think Multiple Listing Service , think registered trademark , think REALTOR . What is the first thing in the publics mind when they want to buy or sell a property ? Where do they turn ? What web site do they go to ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are actually doing that with the Society to Advance Opticianry. This is something we can brand, because all of the folks involved will have similar backgrounds. We will see how all this works out soon, I hope.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    We are on the same train , in the same book , wanting to end up in the same last chapter only our method of getting there is different . Be reasonable do it my way . Have you studied the concept in practise by looking at the OCC Licensed Optician.ca branding ?
    If you remember, I was present when the initial concept came up in both Toronto, and Alberta. I do like it, and have shared that many times.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are actually doing that with the Society to Advance Opticianry. This is something we can brand, because all of the folks involved will have similar backgrounds. We will see how all this works out soon, I hope.
    If I may ask, what are the qualifying standards for this group?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the moment Chain stores and optometrists have no use for opticians as they presently exist . Opticians are perceived as expense not revenue, yet in those same stores brand name product like Oakley, Ray Ban, Serengeti, Christian Dior , FYSH are highly desired products to have on the shelf because those items are in high demand by the public because those products are branded into a certain position in the publics mind.

The public does not come into the store asking for double mirror flashed , A/R coated polycarbonate polaroid lenses in an avante garde acetate frame ... instead the public demands " I want Oakley sunglasses"

The public does not ask for polycarbonate lenses instead they ask for "featherwates" .

The public does not ask to see a higher education sales clerk . Nor do they ask to speak with a graduate of the Society to Advance Opticianry. They say lets go to Lens Crafters .

They are sheep that follow branding .

First and foremost to advance Opticianry we must learn to brand a position in the minds of the public and burn that into their minds first . The rest will follow and fall into place .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am sorry, but I just do not agree with you, but appreciate the dialogue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At that Summit meeting , which they did not invite me to, is branding even on the agenda ? If they took everything off the agenda, branding should first consume them. Our Ontario past leader understood that .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns help me out here .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    If I may ask, what are the qualifying standards for this group?
    Please PM me or Laurie Pierce, Johs, or Wes if you are interested and I will forward all the information to you. That is really not the topic of this discussion, and I do not want to hijack the thread, and/or start another long diatribe from folks who disagree. The last one wnet on for 20 pages +, which I am sure you can find as well. The essence of the society is to recognize those with educational credentials and allow them to stand out from the pack.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz put that ale down and jump in here.

Warren , try this . The online eyeglass vendors have no licenses and less education than you would like opticians to have but would you say that they have succeeded more in advancing there methodology than you have over the last 5 years or has your higher education first model gained more ground?

I suspect you will agree that the onliners have succeeded faster . That is because the onliners branded themselves a position in the publics mind . They branded themselves as the alternate and cheaper source for Brand name frames and lenses , with guarantees and risk free purchasing with more convenience and affordability.

What benefits have you established with your approach ? I am only saying open your mind and use a tool that is on your side that you have never tried. Educate your self about this tool . Follow your own advice . Seek this higher education on the subject of tools you have been ignoring to use .

A mechanic may have all the education about repairing engines but without tools to accomplish the task the education means nothing .

Sell the brand from the top down and use the brand to sell the education.
    Last edited by idispense; 03-28-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am tired of this.........that is the very reason we want more education, so we can't be replaced by online vendors, and the way it is now, almost anyone can do what we do. In branding, there must be common ground. Coke is Coke all across the country. Realtors all have similar backgrounds. Opticians do not. Branding will not work here, but it is clear you do not agree, so why are we beating this dead horse. I will not change my opinion. And yes, thank you for pointing out my failed attempt to educate folks to a higher degree, but I will continue the battle. I only hope that folks think I have attempted to do what I felt was in their interest. Have a great evening.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suppose I beat this dead horse, because you are a smart intelligent person I respect and other optiboarders do as well , but you are as stubborn as I . Please talk this over with your colleagues that you respect, maybe it will make more sense to you in the morning. I believe in your education model but not your method of selling it. that selllin gmethod is holding back the good that I know you can accomplish.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    "Idispense makes lot of sense."

Put that on a t-shirt.
    Thank You drk .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am tired of this.........that is the very reason we want more education, so we can't be replaced by online vendors, and the way it is now, almost anyone can do what we do. In branding, there must be common ground. Coke is Coke all across the country. Realtors all have similar backgrounds. Opticians do not. Branding will not work here, but it is clear you do not agree, so why are we beating this dead horse. I will not change my opinion. And yes, thank you for pointing out my failed attempt to educate folks to a higher degree, but I will continue the battle. I only hope that folks think I have attempted to do what I felt was in their interest. Have a great evening.

That is exactly why you need branding first. That is why you trademark the brand, so not "almost anyone can do it"

Only licensed trademark users who qualify to use the trademark brand by having your higher education would be allowed to use the trademark brand !

The trademark presold brand establishes the same target and the same value across the country. It is the brand that sells higher education.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The brand McDonald's or Harvey's or Wendy's sells and establishes a nationwide set of like standards for making quality burgers that is recognizable and positioned in the minds of the eating public. Not everyone can do this. Only franchisees who educate themselves at corporate burger university have the rights and higher education to use these brands according tto the education requirements of the trademarked brand holder.

The brand sets and identifies the target market standards and unifies it acrcross the nation. The brand does it not the education.

But no one can use the brand without getting the education.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bed time after this post.

I have two frames in the store and both are identical PRADA's . They both have the same retail price tag $ 599.00 . Tomorrow I am going to strip the Brand names off one of those frames . Then I am going to see which sells first and repeats more often.

My buddy owns a Cadillac dealership as well as a BMW dealership. I am going to ask him to do the same with two cars of each brand and then we will observe which sells and which does not.

Then I am going to the local University where they sell higher education to become a Certified Public Accountant and I am going to ask them to run two same identical courses but with different names . One higher education course will be for the designation CPA and the other identical course will be general interest but no credit to the CPA designation. Now we will see how many sign up for the branded or non-branded course.

Does that clarify things and why higher education without branding is a tough sell ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    A uniform educational basis is the only foundation from which optician's will ever move their profession forward. You have very strong economically based forces working against you.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    A uniform educational basis is the only foundation from which optician's will ever move their profession forward. You have very strong economically based forces working against you.
    Excellent, I agree with you.

I am aging , I am 42 , I can't seem to read , I have a vision problem, I need an eye-test, I am opening up the phone book ( which I can't read ..small letters you know ) therefore I can't spell ophthalmic optician with small letters either .. I am looking in yellow pages under heading "uniform educational vision fixer" ..nope nothing ther... wel lut's ook under the heading i test .... hmmmm lets try uukin under heading o-p-tallmic ....this isn't working ... I am getting hungry ...I think I will have pizza ...shutting phone book .... don't need phone book I know the number , calll PIzza Pizza 1-800- 267-6767 ...ah luv those brands and jingles ....man I am good , thre is nothing wrong with my hearing and memory... Pizza guy delivers to my door ...hey pizza guy I like your glasses where did you get them ? ... bought mine on line using my grandfathers Rx it was a lot chaeper than ......
    Last edited by idispense; 03-29-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know my alternate views on this rub some the wrong way. But I'm a 'results-based' guy, and if the education does not deliver a skill set that has real, tangible business value in a dispensary setting, then all you're creating will be a bunch of future lens consultants, if they exist at all in 10 years time.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    But I'm a 'results-based' guy, and if the education does not deliver a skill set that has real, tangible business value in a dispensary setting, then all you're creating will be a bunch of future lens consultants, if they exist at all in 10 years time.B
    Totally agree with you, and not because we happen to have the same first name. You need the uniform education for different reasons. If you keep the status quo opticianary will always remain more of a trade than of a profession. Really wouldn't dare or care to comment further on an open forum.
    Last edited by RIMLESS; 03-29-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think education is the wrong way to go. Seriously.

1. You have to convince a school to carry a program (read: they need to make money on this)
    2. You have to develop a faculty
    3. You have to develop a curriculum
    4. You have to attract students
    5. Students need promise of financial reward before shelling out their educational bucks.
    6. Most difficult, you must legislate a need for yourselves into existence.

Now, which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

You need to make the position profitable first, then go from there.

For cryin' out loud, even optometry's domain is being deregulated. The only hope we have is being desirable to the consumer.

Keep it real, my brothers.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In 2010 53% of candidates taking a validated practical exam could correctly measure prism thinning in a pair of mounted progressive lenses. In 2011 that figure was 49%. The same candidates in 2010 could correctly analyze lenses for unwanted prism 54% of the time and in 2011, 60%. The current system of training opticians is simply not working.

Roy

Last edited by Roy R. Ferguson; 03-29-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typos

Thread Information