Thread: Opticianry Summit?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy Easter!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    True and if you continue to use this approach the results will continue to be the same.

Or you could do it my way .

Establish and advertise the brand first so the public knows and recognises the nationally advertised trademark.

License the use of the trademark to member opticians through a fee structure and education structure.

You can also license the employers use to advertise the trademark but of course that is dependant on their hiring licensed trademarked optician members.

The beauty is you do not need state approval. The other beauty is that by the time you get national membership in significant numbers then you will have the support of the state .

The other beauty is that by the time you get significant member numbers you won't need the State to legislate anything .

You will now be fully self regulating without the State or Province .

So quit yer bickering and be reasonable.

idispense: First suggestion made on this thread since I posted my "open letter' that makes sense and could actually be a viable means to change! What an excellent idea.
    My only challenge to it would be the addition of "License the use of the trademark to member opticians through a fee structure and education structure under the protection of the agency being a non-profit. . The moment you allow a profit structure in to the equation you lose all credibility and you open the door for lowering standards for the sake of income. Not tomorrow, not the first year or second but over time it will happen.

Another point unrelated to your post --- Although I use the analogy myself, often, we are NOT actually "filling prescriptions" like compounding pharmacists do. We actually provide the delivery of the prescription. You can think of that as being the delivery boy who would show you how to take your medicine or as the individual that designs the pill casing and packaging. The labs and lens manufacturers fill the prescription not the optical dispensing professional. I dislike the pharmacist analogy because it belittles what pharmacists have to do to earn their degree and I think it is a skewed perspective of what we do. Again, I use it myself when explaining what an "optician" does but please consider what I am saying when trying to use it as your main point. Yes, one could argue that most pharmacists today are doing something of the equivalent of what we do but in a pinch how many of you could set up a generator and actually grind a lens?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    True and if you continue to use this approach the results will continue to be the same.

Or you could do it my way .

Establish and advertise the brand first so the public knows and recognises the nationally advertised trademark.

License the use of the trademark to member opticians through a fee structure and education structure.

You can also license the employers use to advertise the trademark but of course that is dependant on their hiring licensed trademarked optician members.

The beauty is you do not need state approval. The other beauty is that by the time you get national membership in significant numbers then you will have the support of the state .

The other beauty is that by the time you get significant member numbers you won't need the State to legislate anything .

You will now be fully self regulating without the State or Province .

So quit yer bickering and be reasonable.
    idispense has been following/watching the Canadian experience!

Start with re-reading this:http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...nding-Campaign

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This came to me through a PM:

Originally Posted by hcjilson
    I have since deleted it as argumentative, which it clearly is.

"Suffice to say I choose not to for reasons that are mine alone. I can back up what I say and I do not need any johnny come lately to tell a super moderator what, or what not is OK to post. In the words of Stan Freeburg.......Back off man,......You're too piercing.
    with all due respect I am your most humble and o'bnt servant Harry Jilson"

I threw the last sentence in to mollify my remarks, but didn't really mean it. Believe it or not, not everyone here is a light weight. You are speaking to more people than you realize and you don't know a GD thing about any of them. Straighten up and use a little common courtesy to your fellow members and it could pay dividends. Fail to do so and you risk having your ignorance exposed. If you know anything about who was invited then you are aware of whose fingerprints show up. That is in the process of being corrected as we speak. It won't be over night but it will be. Give this concept a chance, your profession will benefit.
    Harry,

My Reply to Harry:

Well, first of all I would not post on a public forum if I did not expect to take my share of feedback be it positive or negative. I truly believe that hiding behind a PM is cowardice and an easy way to avoid really thinking through your position or taking the time to write a well reasoned response. As I tell everyone who has ever sent me a PM, PLEASE DO POST IT! That is why I took the time to write, I WANT to shake the tree.

As to, "johnny come lately", well, name calling?
    Really? And you expect me to respect your position?
    And you do not know anything about me either.
    Does time as a registered member of OptiBoard add validity to one's point of view?

As to, "a super moderator", well that just points out the problem with OptiBoard, it is your OptiBoard, not our OptiBoard, or the fields OptiBoard. The OptiBoard should be the catalyst when instead it is just another of the problems we face.

As to, "GD", have I used an expletive anywhere?

I can only restate what I have before, "The more violently you object to my stated position the more likely it is that you are part of the problem with opticianry remaining stagnant for 30+ years now." If you really think about it, you may find some value in it.

As to, "with all due respect I am your most humble and o'bnt servant Harry Jilson", I am not really sure what that is supposed to mean.

I wish you and The Summit the very best.

In the words of John Stewart, "Just because I disagree with you, it does not mean that you are Hitler."

John

To which I now add this:

I thought about this exchange that was taken to a PM for over a week before deciding to post it. Why did I decide to?

This quote came to mind:
    “The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing”

I realized that what the PM was really about was a veiled threat and mild intimidation which seems to be the default process of the OptiBoard regulars on dealing with anyone of a dissenting position or anyone they deem as being “new” or less experienced than they are. It is why you see new names come and go so quickly. So, for me to do nothing would mean the bullies have won.

I thought that piercing was a very odd term to use but now I have begun to embrace it. I’ll take it to heart and attempt to pierce through the insular bubble of the OptiBoard!

As to, “You are speaking to more people than you realize and you don't know a GD thing about any of them.” The more I thought about it the more I realized that I have more fear of having a Brownie Troop angry with me than any opticianry organization! Heck, at least the Brownies have a consistent message and recognized national coherence. Maybe better an angry kindle of kittens?

My last reply is this:

Harry,
    I think it is a good idea not to take on this “argument”. Go back to the OptiBoard and keep preaching to the choir and keep looking for people who agree with you. That way you will never need to challenge your beliefs.

And before you even think about asking, “And what have you done for change?”

I have personally spent over four years, over four thousand hours and over forty thousand dollars (that is $40,000) of my own money creating an on-line resource for anyone that desires to learn the basic foundations of becoming a good competent optical dispenser.

I offer that service free of charge and to date I have helped thousands begin their studies and enter the field. I offer a complete on-line textbook, on-line review testing, professional images and illustrations and links to hundreds of outside resources (The OptiBoard included).

What have I made from the site? Nothing, zip, zero… I only began taking sponsorship a few months ago when I felt the site offered enough to warrant asking for it.

Is my site perfect?
    No, it is not. It will never be. However, I never stop trying to make it better and every time I do it actually helps our field.

So, before judging me ask yourself, “What I have I really accomplished for creating change in the field I profess to care about?” I mean really accomplished, not thought about or talked about or written about, I mean really done? Then get back to me.

Last edited by John@OWDC; 04-08-2012 at 01:06 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Wow. Put your pads on. Have to say I am impressed by someone spending time and money for the betterment of the profession.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys are scary....

CNG

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    This came to me through a PM:

Originally Posted by hcjilson
    I have since deleted it as argumentative, which it clearly is.

"Suffice to say I choose not to for reasons that are mine alone. I can back up what I say and I do not need any johnny come lately to tell a super moderator what, or what not is OK to post. In the words of Stan Freeburg.......Back off man,......You're too piercing.
    with all due respect I am your most humble and o'bnt servant Harry Jilson"

I threw the last sentence in to mollify my remarks, but didn't really mean it. Believe it or not, not everyone here is a light weight. You are speaking to more people than you realize and you don't know a GD thing about any of them. Straighten up and use a little common courtesy to your fellow members and it could pay dividends. Fail to do so and you risk having your ignorance exposed. If you know anything about who was invited then you are aware of whose fingerprints show up. That is in the process of being corrected as we speak. It won't be over night but it will be. Give this concept a chance, your profession will benefit.
    Harry,

My Reply to Harry:

Well, first of all I would not post on a public forum if I did not expect to take my share of feedback be it positive or negative. I truly believe that hiding behind a PM is cowardice and an easy way to avoid really thinking through your position or taking the time to write a well reasoned response. As I tell everyone who has ever sent me a PM, PLEASE DO POST IT! That is why I took the time to write, I WANT to shake the tree.

As to, "johnny come lately", well, name calling?
    Really? And you expect me to respect your position?
    And you do not know anything about me either.
    Does time as a registered member of OptiBoard add validity to one's point of view?

As to, "a super moderator", well that just points out the problem with OptiBoard, it is your OptiBoard, not our OptiBoard, or the fields OptiBoard. The OptiBoard should be the catalyst when instead it is just another of the problems we face.

As to, "GD", have I used an expletive anywhere?

I can only restate what I have before, "The more violently you object to my stated position the more likely it is that you are part of the problem with opticianry remaining stagnant for 30+ years now." If you really think about it, you may find some value in it.

As to, "with all due respect I am your most humble and o'bnt servant Harry Jilson", I am not really sure what that is supposed to mean.

I wish you and The Summit the very best.

In the words of John Stewart, "Just because I disagree with you, it does not mean that you are Hitler."

John

To which I now add this:

I thought about this exchange that was taken to a PM for over a week before deciding to post it. Why did I decide to?

This quote came to mind:
    “The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing”

I realized that what the PM was really about was a veiled threat and mild intimidation which seems to be the default process of the OptiBoard regulars on dealing with anyone of a dissenting position or anyone they deem as being “new” or less experienced than they are. It is why you see new names come and go so quickly. So, for me to do nothing would mean the bullies have won.

I thought that piercing was a very odd term to use but now I have begun to embrace it. I’ll take it to heart and attempt to pierce through the insular bubble of the OptiBoard!

As to, “You are speaking to more people than you realize and you don't know a GD thing about any of them.” The more I thought about it the more I realized that I have more fear of having a Brownie Troop angry with me than any opticianry organization! Heck, at least the Brownies have a consistent message and recognized national coherence. Maybe better an angry kindle of kittens?

My last reply is this:

Harry,
    I think it is a good idea not to take on this “argument”. Go back to the OptiBoard and keep preaching to the choir and keep looking for people who agree with you. That way you will never need to challenge your beliefs.

And before you even think about asking, “And what have you done for change?”

I have personally spent over four years, over four thousand hours and over forty thousand dollars (that is $40,000) of my own money creating an on-line resource for anyone that desires to learn the basic foundations of becoming a good competent optical dispenser.

I offer that service free of charge and to date I have helped thousands begin their studies and enter the field. I offer a complete on-line textbook, on-line review testing, professional images and illustrations and links to hundreds of outside resources (The OptiBoard included).

What have I made from the site? Nothing, zip, zero… I only began taking sponsorship a few months ago when I felt the site offered enough to warrant asking for it.

Is my site perfect?
    No, it is not. It will never be. However, I never stop trying to make it better and every time I do it actually helps our field.

So, before judging me ask yourself, “What I have I really accomplished for creating change in the field I profess to care about?” I mean really accomplished, not thought about or talked about or written about, I mean really done? Then get back to me.
    +1... a well-considered response.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I would have expected........

I would have expected that a true professional would treat a PRIVATE MESSAGE as between 2 people. To say nothing of what I would have expected from a gentleman. Putting that aside if I had wanted to open a can of worms and get off the topic of the thread, believe me, I have all the tools I need. Further, I have just ended a 53 year career as an optician. Licensed, Certified, and FNAO. This does not make me a great Optician. I will let my career do the speaking for me. I don't feel the need to prolong this defense of my remarks so anyone is free to ask about any specifics they can't find from Google.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think this thread has run it's course!

Time to close it down.

CLOSED!

Thread Information