Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zip Eyewear

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Zip Eyewear

Has anyone heard of this operation?? If so do you have any comments. Kinda nice idea, but.....

http://www.zipeyewear.com/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was looking into this yesterday, but the policies do to business with them from our end didn't look so great. Also, as a consumer, I was unable to figure out who my "provider" would be before payment was entered, and since I didn't pay for anything, I still don't know. If I were to buy from there as a customer I'd want to know where I'd be picking up my glasses before I paid!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Jacqui!

I looked at the website, the most glaring problem I see is that the customer has to buy a voucher first before they know if there is a provider near them. As a consumer, I would be leery to purchase anything before I knew if there was a provider near-by.

Occupation
    This is one of the problems that I thought about too. The other is, how does the store handle returns, defects, disco's. What kind of lens selection would I need to carry, etc, etc...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    This is one of the problems that I thought about too. The other is, how does the store handle returns, defects, disco's. What kind of lens selection would I need to carry, etc, etc...
    And how much would you have to discount it? The fine print said something about honoring the online price in-store under some circumstances...

Occupation
    Where is the headquarters located?? I tried to find out and couldn't.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Johns would say: "Contact us" option might tell you; haha

Zip Eyewear
    PO Box 34299
    Fort Worth, TX 76162

but he'd pick on ya' a bit more than that

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hey y'all,

I am the president & founder of Zip Eyewear. I'm glad you are interested in our solution, and that I found this discussion. I won't waste your time promoting my business, but I am going to reply to each of your questions & concerns individually. Feel free to contact me at michael [at] zipeyewear.com or by phone at 877-9-ZIPEYE on the Provider Support line.

Thanks a lot,
    Michael
    Last edited by MichaelNason; 03-20-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: removed update on moderation delay

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I was looking into this yesterday, but the policies do to business with them from our end didn't look so great.
    Hi Java99, I'd really like to talk to you about our policies. Our mission is to be as open, and as beneficial to ECPs such as yourself, as we can. We built our Provider program to not interfere with our members' operations. Pricing is very similar to most major vision plans. Fulfillment is carried out by our Providers however they normally do so.

Our goal is simple: to bring local brick-and-mortar optical stores new patients from the Internet. If our policies are objectionable, let's talk about it so we can improve them.

Also, as a consumer, I was unable to figure out who my "provider" would be before payment was entered, and since I didn't pay for anything, I still don't know. If I were to buy from there as a customer I'd want to know where I'd be picking up my glasses before I paid!
    This, too, is by design. We show shoppers the number of Providers in their area first, and then the actual locations after they have made a purchase. We made this compromise early on: By not listing our Providers publicly, we do not commoditize or undervalue their services and products.

You are right about shoppers wanting to know where nearby Providers are before making a purchase. We are looking into a few different ways we can change our system to disclose more information before a shopper makes a purchase.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Hi Jacqui,

We are working on improving our Provider pages to be more clear about these topics. In the meantime, let me do my best to explain:

The way our Internet solution works, Zip Eyewear makes the sale online and the Provider fulfills the order. Once a person with a Zip Eyewear voucher comes to your office, they become your patient. Your own policies govern how you handle returns, warranties, defects and so on.

As far as materials, each Provider account has its own "Collections." This is a checklist of all the frame brands in our catalog. Providers go through it and check off the lines they either want to offer through our site, that they stock, or that they have accounts for.

We organize lenses into types (Single Vision, Lined Bifocal, No-Line Progressive, Free Form) and then into Good, Better, and Best qualities. Each quality represents different materials, thinness, etc. We allow Providers to determine on their own which brands of lenses are suitable for each quality.

When an order is made, Providers in that area who have selected the frame brand that was ordered are notified. The notification includes all the order details and a short response form they can use to tell the customer whether they have that frame in stock, if they should set up an appointment, and so on.

Once the patient gets to the Provider, their order can be completely changed. They can choose from that store's entire frame selection. Their lens selection can be reviewed by staff. Only after this does the Provider go ahead and manufacture the eyewear. Also, I'd like to note that any up-sales made in store do not affect Zip Eyewear's 10% administrative fee on the original voucher amount.

I hope that clears some of your confusion up. Please feel free ask for any more clarification.

Thanks!
    -Michael

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    And how much would you have to discount it? The fine print said something about honoring the online price in-store under some circumstances...
    We ask our Providers to give Zip Eyewear customers a discount when they are changing their order in-store. What this discount is is not up to Zip Eyewear. We suggest something around 15-20% off MSRP in this particular scenario.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by eyechick1969 View Post
    As Johns would say: "Contact us" option might tell you; haha

Zip Eyewear
    PO Box 34299
    Fort Worth, TX 76162

but he'd pick on ya' a bit more than that
    You got it! We are based out of Fort Worth, TX.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelNason View Post
    We ask our Providers to give Zip Eyewear customers a discount when they are changing their order in-store. What this discount is is not up to Zip Eyewear. We suggest something around 15-20% off MSRP in this particular scenario.
    Thanks for answering my question!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looked at your website and it showed there are 3 providers in a 25 mile radius of me. Thats a HUGE radius for an urban area like Chicago! Whats the upside for me being a provider? Is there a back link to my website so I can get some SEO love? How many patients should I reasonably expaect to see through this funnel? how are you marketing your concept. In the end this seems like an interesting ides, sort of a priceline meets groupon for eyewear. Also, how do you handle boutique lines when it comes to pics of product?

Lots of questions.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The picture of the lousy fitting spectacles on the website would be enough to throw up a red flag for me!

So silly!

:poop::poop::poop:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Looked at your website and it showed there are 3 providers in a 25 mile radius of me. Thats a HUGE radius for an urban area like Chicago! Whats the upside for me being a provider? Is there a back link to my website so I can get some SEO love? How many patients should I reasonably expaect to see through this funnel? how are you marketing your concept. In the end this seems like an interesting ides, sort of a priceline meets groupon for eyewear. Also, how do you handle boutique lines when it comes to pics of product?

Lots of questions.
    Hi Albert,

Good questions. We are still growing, and clearly don't have enough Providers in Chicago yet. The upside of being a Provider is simple: Zip Eyewear is offering free, managed e-commerce solution that will drive online shoppers to your business. We do not support direct-to-consumer eyewear retail and have created an alternative solution in which ECPs are not cut out of the eyewear purchase. There is no risk to joining, and we take our Providers' feedback very seriously.

In the future, we also plan to offer tools to manage our member's businesses online presence in a number of ways. Right now we don't back link to Providers' websites but we are working on doing so.

Our catalog is built on the FramesDATA database, so we do not offer any boutique lines at the moment.

Thanks,
    Michael

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The picture of the lousy fitting spectacles on the website would be enough to throw up a red flag for me!

So silly!

:poop::poop::poop:
    Hey Fezz,

I agree it's a silly photo! If I change it will you give Zip Eyewear a chance?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Fezz,

I agree it's a silly photo! If I change it will you give Zip Eyewear a chance?

I'd rather DIE!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I'd rather DIE!
    Suit yourself, Fezz.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi Java99, I'd really like to talk to you about our policies. Our mission is to be as open, and as beneficial to ECPs such as yourself, as we can. We built our Provider program to not interfere with our members' operations. Pricing is very similar to most major vision plans. Fulfillment is carried out by our Providers however they normally do so.

You are right about shoppers wanting to know where nearby Providers are before making a purchase. We are looking into a few different ways we can change our system to disclose more information before a shopper makes a purchase.
    Michael, have you considered asking the patient to data enter the name of their pick up location of choice? This would give you the opportunity to recruit member doctors.

Also, what do you think of member doctors charging a "limited dispensing fee" that includes dotting and aligning the lenses, reviewing that lens order information was data entered properly, professional inspection and verification to Ansi Standards, and 1 year of tune ups and adjustments - with no responsiblity for breakage or warranty.

What do you think of member doctors charging a "limited fitting fee" that includes advice regarding top tier lenses, providing pre-adjust and position of wear measures, essentially helping with the accurate order best for the patient...some sort of a shared responsibility pre-order service?

I'm not entirely clear about the business model.
    Renee Kathleen Jacobs O.D., M.A.
    Director Practice Management Depot
    www.PracticeManagementDepot.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi Jacqui,

We are working on improving our Provider pages to be more clear about these topics. In the meantime, let me do my best to explain:

The way our Internet solution works, Zip Eyewear makes the sale online and the Provider fulfills the order. Once a person with a Zip Eyewear voucher comes to your office, they become your patient. Your own policies govern how you handle returns, warranties, defects and so on.

As far as materials, each Provider account has its own "Collections." This is a checklist of all the frame brands in our catalog. Providers go through it and check off the lines they either want to offer through our site, that they stock, or that they have accounts for.

We organize lenses into types (Single Vision, Lined Bifocal, No-Line Progressive, Free Form) and then into Good, Better, and Best qualities. Each quality represents different materials, thinness, etc. We allow Providers to determine on their own which brands of lenses are suitable for each quality.

When an order is made, Providers in that area who have selected the frame brand that was ordered are notified. The notification includes all the order details and a short response form they can use to tell the customer whether they have that frame in stock, if they should set up an appointment, and so on.

Once the patient gets to the Provider, their order can be completely changed. They can choose from that store's entire frame selection. Their lens selection can be reviewed by staff. Only after this does the Provider go ahead and manufacture the eyewear. Also, I'd like to note that any up-sales made in store do not affect Zip Eyewear's 10% administrative fee on the original voucher amount.

I hope that clears some of your confusion up. Please feel free ask for any more clarification.

Thanks!
    -Michael
    Michael, how do I access your provider information pages instead of the provider registration form?

I'm still struggling with the business model. You are saying the patient shops online and makes a frame purchase and instead of obtaining a frame, they receive a voucher to an office that carries that frame line? The office is notified regarding the patient's frame of choice and a fitting appointment is scheduled? The office then orders lenses from the office lab of choice? Is that right?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd rather DIE!
    Fezz, I love that you are so shy about stating what you really think,

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    Thanks!

One of my most endearing qualities is my subtlety!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    He's not kidding. I just received this PM from him:

Brother Johns,

If I am ever to do something as idiotic as to get involved with an online retailer, reseller, reteller, regurgitater, etc...please pull the plug on my ale cooler, which will begin my slow and painful demise."

The man, the myth, the legend,

Brother Fezz
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hi Albert,

Good questions. We are still growing, and clearly don't have enough Providers in Chicago yet. The upside of being a Provider is simple: Zip Eyewear is offering free, managed e-commerce solution that will drive online shoppers to your business. We do not support direct-to-consumer eyewear retail and have created an alternative solution in which ECPs are not cut out of the eyewear purchase. There is no risk to joining, and we take our Providers' feedback very seriously.

In the future, we also plan to offer tools to manage our member's businesses online presence in a number of ways. Right now we don't back link to Providers' websites but we are working on doing so.

Our catalog is built on the FramesDATA database, so we do not offer any boutique lines at the moment.

Thanks,
    Michael
    @kcount:
    Albert, why have you been posing as Kevin? Are you ashamed of your name, and want to have a cool one like Kevin?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information