Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 2nd frame discount

  1. #1
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ill
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    95

    Blue Jumper 2nd frame discount

    Does anyone give a discount on a 2nd pair of glasses and how much do you give . If a pt has ins. and say you give 30% off on a 2nd pair but the ins. only gives 20% do you give that pt your 30% off or only what there ins. gives them .

  2. #2
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    262
    we get 50% off from our labs so we pass that along to our pts it it is ordered in the 1st month of the 1st order.

  3. #3
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Vancouver,WA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    10
    We give 30% off all 2nd pairs regardless of insurance, purchased within 30 days.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,002
    Twenty percent on the whole pair of glasses not just frame. Limitation: Must be equal or lesser price than first pair.

    Chip

  5. #5
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    449
    My 2nd pair discount is just like Chip's. I also do the same at 30% on third, 40% on 4th, which happens only occasionally.

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,829
    40% off second pair lens and frame if ordered at the time of first pair purchase. I sell a lot of suns this way.

  7. #7
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Back in Naples and the warm weather
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    18,130
    Blog Entries
    3

    Redhot Jumper Glasses are not bakers dozen.....................................

    Psychological aspect of giving between 20% and 50% discount for a second pair would be that you have overcharged the first pair big time and can well afford to give giant discounts.

    Does any supermarket give you a second cabbage at 20-50% off ? Does the liquor store give you the second bottle of wine or booze at half price?
    Or the plumber and electrician would charge you half price for a service call if you call him over again within 30 days? Have you ever gotten a free tank of gaz when coming back to the station within a given period of time ?

    The oldest way of discount is the "Bakers dozen", buy 12 buns or bagels and get a 13th free of charge. I make my own two excellent Rye-Breads once a week and they cost me roughly $ 0.30 per 1.5 lbs loaf while the super market charges $ 3.99 for one of the same.

    So the "bakers dozen" is a reasonable but not the large size discount as given in the optical as per your post's above and as a consumer my personal deduction would be that I got overcharged big time on the first pair.

    In todays age of open advertising by on line opticals with frame pricing of the same models you find in B&M at every corner on the web would it not be smart to change the tactics to attract customers.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  8. #8
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter anthonyf1509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    304
    For some odd reason, consumers do not think this way Chris. We offer a 2nd pair frame and lens discount, and sales explode. The psychology is they're getting a deal, not getting ripped off. That's just the way the public thinks, despite your logic.

    When they ask why? It's easy to explain that we get 50% off our costs, so we're glad to pass that on. You can always spin a situation in favor, and become the hero.

    Btw, many groceries and super markets give discounts to members and also gas when points are earned. So that analogy isn't accurate anymore. So the first pair of glasses earned them points towards the second pair, however you wanna look at it.

    We don't have to make purchasing glasses something different because of how the public views the profession. The quality of opticians will create a better view, but at end of the day were still selling solutions in the form if eyewear and it's ok to discount or not, but it's a choice. The service and knowledge is included and they'll see that if done right.

  9. #9
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter NCspecs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    901
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post
    For some odd reason, consumers do not think this way Chris. We offer a 2nd pair frame and lens discount, and sales explode. The psychology is they're getting a deal, not getting ripped off. That's just the way the public thinks, despite your logic.

    When they ask why? It's easy to explain that we get 50% off our costs, so we're glad to pass that on. You can always spin a situation in favor, and become the hero.

    Btw, many groceries and super markets give discounts to members and also gas when points are earned. So that analogy isn't accurate anymore. So the first pair of glasses earned them points towards the second pair, however you wanna look at it.

    We don't have to make purchasing glasses something different because of how the public views the profession. The quality of opticians will create a better view, but at end of the day were still selling solutions in the form if eyewear and it's ok to discount or not, but it's a choice. The service and knowledge is included and they'll see that if done right.
    +1

    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

  10. #10
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Back in Naples and the warm weather
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    18,130
    Blog Entries
    3

    Blue Jumper The psychology is they're getting a deal,................................

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post

    For some odd reason, consumers do not think this way Chris. We offer a 2nd pair frame and lens discount, and sales explode. The psychology is they're getting a deal, not getting ripped off. That's just the way the public thinks, despite your logic.


    Very good answer Anthony........................I now have a another question: You sell the first pair, lets say for $ 400.00 and offer the consumer a second identical pair in tinted lenses at 50% off which would make $ 200.00 and a grand total of $ 600.00. Would then the customer not deduct that you could still make a living if you would have sold the first pair for $ 300.00 ?

    When the same person goes on his or her computer and sees all these on-line adds allover the web. that offer the same pair of glasses for lets assume $ 120.00 all finished.
    Would then Mr or Mrs consumer not scratch their chin or head and start to wonder ?
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Psychological aspect of giving between 20% and 50% discount for a second pair would be that you have overcharged the first pair big time and can well afford to give giant discounts.

    Does any supermarket give you a second cabbage at 20-50% off ? Does the liquor store give you the second bottle of wine or booze at half price?
    Or the plumber and electrician would charge you half price for a service call if you call him over again within 30 days? Have you ever gotten a free tank of gaz when coming back to the station within a given period of time ?

    The oldest way of discount is the "Bakers dozen", buy 12 buns or bagels and get a 13th free of charge. I make my own two excellent Rye-Breads once a week and they cost me roughly $ 0.30 per 1.5 lbs loaf while the super market charges $ 3.99 for one of the same.

    So the "bakers dozen" is a reasonable but not the large size discount as given in the optical as per your post's above and as a consumer my personal deduction would be that I got overcharged big time on the first pair.

    In todays age of open advertising by on line opticals with frame pricing of the same models you find in B&M at every corner on the web would it not be smart to change the tactics to attract customers.
    Chris;

    Thank you for uncovering the giant scam that supermarkets have been getting away with for years. Cost of rye bread 30 cents and they charge $3.99?
    I think those Marketplace boys at the CBC should get on this one pronto!

    Regards,
    Golfnorth

  12. #12
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post
    For some odd reason, consumers do not think this way Chris. We offer a 2nd pair frame and lens discount, and sales explode. The psychology is they're getting a deal, not getting ripped off. That's just the way the public thinks, despite your logic.
    +1. The "Buy one get one discounted" sale model works in all kinds of retail environments. Chris, in all my years in this business not one patient has ever responded to one of my promotions with anything like the response you're describing. No one has ever, ever asked me why we couldn't just make the first pair cheaper in the first place, and if they did, my answer would be something along the lines of a polite "My prices are my prices." I do tell my patients that I get a break on multiple lens pairs, and that this is why I can discount multiple pairs.

    This is a difficult discussion to have without disclosing some wholesale price information that should remain confidential.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

  13. #13
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter anthonyf1509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    304
    Gee, if people had critical thinking skills in general as sharp as yours we'd be better off in this country. But sadly Chris you can see it for that, and they cannot.
    But these people also have jobs and understand the way promotions work.
    John Smith may scratch his head, but then all he has to do is think about how he could sell me all 4 tires for $100 each and I'd pay him, or he can take less profit to CREATE A SALE OTHERWISE NOT THERE, and this is the key, and offer to do my wife's tires for 25% off or whatever.

    So he completely understands why we offer our discount. He's not mad that I charge MY PRICE for the first pair.
    If he does scratch his head too much and reconsiders, then like everyone else on thus board would tell you...I'll gladly send him on with his Rx and whatever measurements he'd like to pay for and explore his other options.

    On a similar, yet different approach...
    When a wholesale lab tells me they'd rather list their rock bottom price they can give us instead of hike them up and offer discounts or incentives, I have to question them. Because I've yet to see the lab out their whose pricing is much lower. I've heard this but can only say, you're only going to save me $$ dollars and I'm more than going to earn that through the others.
    Then they negotiate, etc etc etc...

    I'm not saying glasses should be negotiated with consumers, that's not at all what I mean, but every approach is different. People are "sensitive", they want to be coddled, so if I have to let Susie Q think she's getting the best "deal" possible, so she'll get herself some sun protection then I'll negotiate.
    This is a great discussion, sorry to ramble on guys...
    Our office did not offer these discounts until more recently. My idea, I asked the owner (he happens to be my father btw) if we're more profitable getting 100% full price on two pairs a few times a month? Or getting 100% on pair 1 and 50% on pair 2, but a few times a week?
    Simple math gave the answer and he said try it for 2 months and we"ll re evaluate. Well we haven't stopped since. Even if it's just a tool for your staff to get excited about sun wear, computer wear, 3 piece mounts for a mix up, anything for a complete eyewear wardrobe, then it's worth it.
    Done. :)

  14. #14
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    counting...4
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,857
    I don't have much to add to this discussion, but I have to say I am enjoying it.

    My husband and I both have probably 4 or 5 little key ring thingy's that allow us "special" discounts at grocery stores, etc. The other day, I went to one of them and "saved" $13.24 or something like that, then I went to a clothing store and saw 1 shirt for $20, and 50% off the second...anyhoo...when I came home, I told my husband how refreshing it would be to just walk into a store and get the lowest price anyway, and not have to swipe a card, be a member, or buy 2 of something I don't need 2 of. I can see both sides of this discussion, and can't say I have a firm opinion either way. I tried the buy 1 get 1 50% off, and I have to say I sold more 2nd pairs than I would have ever imagined, however, I started thinking...'geez, if I'm doing that, then why not lower prices on all pairs and forget the discount.' That hasn't worked as well as I thought. Seems that the retail mindset right now is if you buy more, you save more. I don't remember my parents buying in bulk, but then I was a kid and didn't pay much attention to the way they purchased. I wonder if it's always been this way?
    ___________________________________________

  15. #15
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    262
    When me and my wife go to the food store we buy $200 of food for like $20 w/ coupons. The cashier hates us. The poeple behind us are cheering us on. Could not have done this 4 years ago. You are rite Now I See, it is a mind site.

  16. #16
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Back in Naples and the warm weather
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    18,130
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Chris;

    Thank you for uncovering the giant scam that supermarkets have been getting away with for years. Cost of rye bread 30 cents and they charge $3.99?
    I think those Marketplace boys at the CBC should get on this one pronto!

    Regards,
    Golfnorth

    Golfnorth...............I enjoy good stuff, but refuse to pay top price when I can have the same thing for less at the same store. I drink a lot a thinned down applejuice. The thinning down media for me is soda water. It sells here in Naples at Publix, the largest Supermarket chain for $ 0.70 per 2 liters (in Montreal at Maxi 1.49). Every time before a holiday weekend Publix sells it for $ 0.50 pet bottle. So I go and buy 30 bottles that last me another 2-3 month and leave a half empty shelf. Besides bones for my dog I do not favour Publix too much.

    In 2 weeks from now when April starts their prices drop by 20% across the board and by April another 15% when most of the Snowbirds are gone back north.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  17. #17
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter anthonyf1509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post
    When me and my wife go to the food store we buy $200 of food for like $20 w/ coupons. The cashier hates us. The poeple behind us are cheering us on. Could not have done this 4 years ago. You are rite Now I See, it is a mind site.
    Not bad, but you've got a ways to go to make that show 'extreme coupons'. Or whatever it's called.

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,070
    We give 50% off second pairs ONLY if ordered on the same day.

  19. #19
    Optician Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,950
    We give 50% off the second pair if single vision and 30% if bifocal or progressives. We also give the same discount to contact lens wears if they purchase a years supply of contacts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Discount labs
    By OptiTim in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM
  2. Discount Glasses in NYC - Please Help
    By glasses in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
  3. EV1 wants a discount!!!!!!
    By gogetter in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 08:55 AM
  4. Lab discount!?
    By LENNY in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 08:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
FEA Industries, Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision, Vision Systems, Inc. and Chemistrie Eyewear