Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyclist and polarized lenses

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Motorcyclist and polarized lenses

So I'm a bit confused, I had a motorcyclist that likes polarization but doesn't wear it when he rides his bike. He says, " polarized lenses can mask spilled oil, tar and painted pavements which would cause them to hit the slippery spot and crash." for all I knew that polarization helps them, any suggestions regarding this?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ride as well and I have to agree with your motorcyclist. With polarized lenses it is really hard to separate oil spill than water as polarization cuts down the reflection.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This may be true, I don't agree. But true or not filtering out the glare (which can obstruct objects ) is of far more benefit to the cyclist than the danger of oil spills. Where you gonna hit an oil spill other than inside the garage anyway? We have all seen the little demo's that show the child completely hidden from view by glare.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ride with polar lenses, glare is blinding to me. I don't do 120 mph with my knee hitting the pavement, so I don't worry about slick spots so much

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    So I'm a bit confused, I had a motorcyclist that likes polarization but doesn't wear it when he rides his bike. He says, " polarized lenses can mask spilled oil, tar and painted pavements which would cause them to hit the slippery spot and crash." for all I knew that polarization helps them, any suggestions regarding this?

I heard this once about 6 years ago; for the next 3 or so years I asked all bikers that ordered polars if they thought that masking oil and water spots would be an issue. No one else ever said it mattered to them. I quit asking...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I don't wear them on the bike because the visor on my helmet goes crazy with rainbows.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I ride as well and I have to agree with your motorcyclist. With polarized lenses it is really hard to separate oil spill than water as polarization cuts down the reflection.
    +1. I have heard one or two cyclists (including my brother Phil) insist that polarized lenses are a detriment to cycling, but the overwhelming majority I've worked with demand them. The fact is, situations where polarization benefits massively outnumber the times it detracts.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

+1. I have heard one or two cyclists (including my brother Phil) insist that polarized lenses are a detriment to cycling, but the overwhelming majority I've worked with demand them. The fact is, situations where polarization benefits massively outnumber the times it detracts.
    Another reason to sell them 2 pairs, one with and another one without, for any applications they got the best solution.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really Chris? One doesn't know in time to change glasses on a motorcycle when whatever conditions will arise.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Really Chris? One doesn't know in time to change glasses on a motorcycle when whatever conditions will arise.
    Yeah, that doesn't seem terribly practical... Can't really change sunglasses in the middle of a ride. And surface glare is much more prevalent than "invisible" oil slicks.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 03-08-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: To not be mean.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No one I know rides their cycle and never moves their head. Just rock it when you suspect something ahead. That should do it.

B

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Old Harley guy...............................

Shame on you Chip..........................One does not change glasses on a motorcycle when driving, and you are an old Harley guy and should know that. Neither do I and I am only an old Burgman guy.

I never said that anybody should. To make matters clear for all the brains here: Sell the guy 1 pair of polaroid when NOT on the bike and some regular ones when ON the bike.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have sold polarized lenses to many people who we were told should not wear them... including pilots who do water landings (we have sea plane airlines here in WA).

If patients tilt their head to the side only slightly it in effect turns-off or down the polarized effect. Most people can even figure out how to read terrain, even wet terrain, through a polarized filter. It looks different than a clear lens, but its not so different that ice or water are impossible to see to someone who knows what to look for.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always wear my polarized suns when riding my bike. I agree that polarization is more beneficial than it is a problem.

Occupation

I have sold polarized lenses to many people who we were told should not wear them... including pilots who do water landings (we have sea plane airlines here in WA).

Polarized lenses eliminate reflected glare from a flat surface. However, looking through a laminated aircraft windscreen, while wearing polarized lenses, can result in a reduced retinal image. The Serengeti Strata lenses are polarized.1

http://www.aoa.org/x5349.xml

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post

I would be more concerned with pot holes, tailpipes, and truck tires. Advantage- polarized.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear a liberty chopper with drivewear when I ride. I have a fairly long commute. It is often sunny when I leave work, but starting to get dark by the time I get home. Drivewear are awesome, and I really like the crisp vision

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I ride with polar lenses, glare is blinding to me. I don't do 120 mph with my knee hitting the pavement, so I don't worry about slick spots so much
    If your knee is scraping pavement, you're no longer perpendicular to the 180° plane. That problem solved itself.
    +1 Polarized.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ride and agree polarized lenses can mask spilled oil, tar and painted pavements which would cause them to hit the slippery spot and crash. By the way spilled oil is not only found in the garage. Remember, the center third of the lane is the place where debris and oil drippings from cars collect.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Love polarized lenses and I ride 10K miles or more per year.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wear polarized lenses 98% of the time when outdoors.. BUT!

Didn't realize the amount of unintended polarization a full face helmet's curved visor imparts until approaching a wet spot in the road at full lean. With horizontally oriented reflections cancelled by sunglasses, and vertical reflections cancelled by helmet faceshield it looked like I was fast approaching a hole in the universe.

Very spooky. Only non-polarized SGs for me after that incident.

JM2CW, YMMV

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Polarization turns my phone screen black and makes it too hard to text on the bike at speed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post

If patients tilt their head to the side only slightly it in effect turns-off or down the polarized effect. Most people can even figure out how to read terrain, even wet terrain, through a polarized filter. It looks different than a clear lens, but its not so different that ice or water are impossible to see to someone who knows what to look for.
    Very interesting. It also looks like right now, there are more in favor of polarized as opposed to non-polarized. I have polled two groups that I lectured to who ride motorcycles after this thread began and 95% of them still favor polarized.

Don't think either would have helped the woman who had a car turn in front of her yesterday right in front of me. She ditched and had her leg severed right above the ankle. Fortunately, I had a towel in the car and could stop enough bleeding until the ambulance/paramedics arrived. Her life will forever be changed. Another off duty paramedic stopped and assessed her as I stopped bleeding, and it "looked" as though her head was ok. She was alert and responsive.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just yesterday, I had a patient in with polarized sunglasses from a department store and the polarization was 90 degrees off. Wonder what effects (obviously not knocking out glare) this could have?

Chip

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Just yesterday, I had a patient in with polarized sunglasses from a department store and the polarization was 90 degrees off. Wonder what effects (obviously not knocking out glare) this could have?

Chip
    Hmmm... could it ensure that he sees the slick spots in the road? I sense an opportunity here!

Thread Information