Thread: PGX..."She aint what she used to be"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PGX..."She aint what she used to be"

While I don't do many glass jobs anymore, I still do the odd Photogrey extra. The only problem is they aren't as photochromic as they used to be. I have had at least 6 clients now that aren't happy with their new PGX lenses. They don't get nearly as dark outside. I have replaced a few but those are still not darkening as they have in previous generations. Hmm, me thinks that someone at corning has cut some corners. Transitions definitely goes darker, BUT NOT IN A CAR. That is the reason a segment of the market still prefers the pgx. Even though the fogging and weight and shatter resistance isn't there.
    Anyone else have this experience?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe they are just using up there old stock and PGX doesnt work right any more. I remember that the PGX finally wouldnt change to clear after a few years. Heat treating always seemed to make them darker. It used to be that if you boiled the lens it would get lighter again. Maybe PGX has a shelf life. Have you tried blasting them with a uv lamp for an hour to active them. That has worked for me at times. It seemed that PGX almost had a memory of how dark it got the first time. I could be wrong.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doesn't transitions have a newer darker lens? Have you tried it ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found that history and time plays a role in how new PGX lenses are accepted. If a person works outdoors, their old lenses will be conditioned, and will go darker than their new pair will, initially. Time is of essence. Warn.

Lens thickness plays a role, even a couple 10ths of a mm. Thicker will mean darker. Warn.

Chemical tempering, type of chemical vs heat tempering will create a difference. Warn.

Multifocal vs bi/trifocal, and add change can and will change the intensity of the lens, sometimes in an area, OD vs OS, top vs bottom. WARN.
    Last edited by uncut; 03-06-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: engrish bad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It doesn't appear as though anyone else has had clients back with the same complaint. Transitions has the market cornered and are making HUGE MONEY. While comparing prices on the difference in cost between various progressives in clear to transitions it was clear as mud(very mysterious) that some lenses are many times more, cost wise with the transitions when compared to the clear price. Process is the same whether you send a pair of adaptars or a pair of fancy new physio 360's . Retail price though is apples and oranges.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Photogray Extra 2mm CT faded light transmittance 88%, darkened 31%. Photogray Thin & Dark 2mm CT faded light transmittance 88%, darkened 17%. Thin & Dark can be ground to a 1.5mm CT, increasing the darkened transmittance slightly.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There other plastic photochromatic providers. I think Hoya has one. And so does Rodenstock. I use a brand called sun smart. I use transitions on stock lenses. Although I have had complaints about them going too dark. Like idepense said they have a darker one that is suppose to work better behind a windshield. Never tried it. I sell a lot of second pair deal sunglasses. Sometimes for the cost of transitions in progresives I can buy a budget progressive and disco frame for less. I do my own tints. Lets face it margins are slim on the resale of transitions. So I can often make a similar profit off of a second pair deal. It also helps me move inventory.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    2 pennies...

By company...

Zeiss: Photofusion (relatively new to the market)
    Rodenstock: Colormatic (oldy but goody)
    Essilor: Transitions VI (regular), Transitions Xtractive (start darker (5%), go darker) - @idispense

All of these products work better on a cool crisp sunny day as opposed to a hot muggy humid day.

They all work very well IMHO. Definetely not behind a windshield!

Extra Credit: http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/....html?page=all

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I do my own tints...........................

Quote Originally Posted by inside out View Post

I do my own tints. Lets face it margins are slim on the resale of transitions. So I can often make a similar profit off of a second pair deal. It also helps me move inventory.

A refreshing post many others should take to heart. Do it yourself whatever you can, has always been the most profitable way of doing it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone use the zeiss product?....according to the ad: from dark to clear in seconds. The ad also says photofusion lenses darken 20% faster and clear twice as fast as previous photochromic lenses by zeiss. Hmm I would like to see a side by side comparison with transitions, colormatic, and photofusion.
    Last edited by mike.elmes; 03-09-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe the silver halide crystal would degrade in time only with exposure.
    On further thought maybe this is why Civil war era photography plates are now losing the image.
    Any experts know for sure?

From Wiki-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_halide
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-09-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: tweak...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    Anyone use the zeiss product?....according to the ad: from dark to clear in seconds. The ad also says photofusion lenses darken 20% faster and clear twice as fast as previous photochromic lenses by zeiss. Hmm I would like to see a side by side comparison with transitions, colormatic, and photofusion.
    I have a pair. They do change back and forth faster but I wouldn't say seconds..They do change a little in the car, not dark, more of a green 1?? maybe even lighter (like the indoor color on the X-tra Active by Transitions). But indoors very clear no greenish color.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like your labs are doing all chemical treating. You have to specify when ordering that you want 'heat treated lenses" only. That should do the trick. They don't get as dark after chemical treating.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Transitions XTRActive does activate behind the windshield, to about a 20% tint. Not enough to keep me from having to switch to sunglasses when I drive.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Photochromic lens cann't become clear after normal is 1-2 years. different supplier, their photochrmic life is different.
    We are Optical lens supplier, Supply all kinds product(bulk and Rx lens in unifocal,bifocal,multifocal lens) with good price, fast shipment, best service!

Thread Information