Thread: Amplitude HD is ID Lifestyle?!?!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Amplitude HD is ID Lifestyle?!?!

We have recently started using the Amplitude HD from Hoya. According to my Hoya rep this is the SAME lens as the ID Lifestyle it just has different laser markings. My concern was that it was a Digitaly enhanced Amplitude but I noticed they are now doing an Amplitude IQ. So far the patients are liking the lens. I am going to do a pair for the receptionist soon and she is currently wearing a true ID lifestyle. I will keep you updated.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's my understanding that is the truth. I am presently wearing this lens.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the link WFruit. Man I would almost think they were shooting themselves in the foot by offering the same lens with dramaticly different prices.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes it is the same lens design with different engravings. The only caveat is that we cannot use it for vsp insurance. It makes sense to rebrand a lens. Every company offers a "budget" lens or package of some sort. If you have a great design that works why not use it. If a pt isnt willing to spend $$$ but will spend $ then it doesn't matter to hoya what you put them in. Lens companies sell lenses. Period. They would rather get some money then no money at all. It costs much less to just rebrand than create a whole new design. Amplitude hd = lifestyle I'd and regular Amplitude = summit ecp. At least our Hoya rep tells us this and is transparent about it. How many rebranded lenses do you think essilor has?;)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the reply. That does make sense. I hadn't heard that the Ampiltude is the Summit though (No Hoya rep anymore) thanks for the info!

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Au contraire

A scan of the lens information on TheLensGuru.com shows different base curves, different diameters, and different min seg height between Amplitude and Summit ECP.
    Amplitude’s centration chart shows it as a 2 mm drop, and Summit ECP’s layout chart shows it as a 4 mm drop. They are in fact distinctly different lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Amplitude and Summit designs are NOT the same.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    Yes it is the same lens design with different engravings. The only caveat is that we cannot use it for vsp insurance. It makes sense to rebrand a lens. Every company offers a "budget" lens or package of some sort. If you have a great design that works why not use it. If a pt isnt willing to spend $$$ but will spend $ then it doesn't matter to hoya what you put them in. Lens companies sell lenses. Period. They would rather get some money then no money at all. It costs much less to just rebrand than create a whole new design. Amplitude hd = lifestyle I'd and regular Amplitude = summit ecp. At least our Hoya rep tells us this and is transparent about it. How many rebranded lenses do you think essilor has?;)
    What does the Amplitude ID lens mimic then?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    We have recently started using the Amplitude HD from Hoya. According to my Hoya rep this is the SAME lens as the ID Lifestyle it just has different laser markings. My concern was that it was a Digitaly enhanced Amplitude but I noticed they are now doing an Amplitude IQ. So far the patients are liking the lens. I am going to do a pair for the receptionist soon and she is currently wearing a true ID lifestyle. I will keep you updated.
    Your rep is completely uninformed. The Amplitude and Lifestyle are not the same design whatsoever. Amplitude is the only 2mm drop PAL that Hoya has, all others are 4mm.

IQ Amplitude is exactly the same however, except for the fact it is digitally surfaced with very slight optimization (Trueform technology).

Thread Information