Thread: Why OD's and MD's wear contacts or glasses?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why OD's and MD's wear contacts or glasses?

I have seen so many Optometrists suggesting their patients to get Lasik while thelselves wear glasses and/or contacts. Hope someone can explain me why would you recommend someone to do something while you don't do it for yourself to start with....
    Last edited by GokhanSF; 03-06-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, if you are in the optical industry you should at least wear a decent eyewear... :)
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I have seen so many Optometrists suggesting their patients to get Lasik while thelselves wear glasses and/or contacts. Hope someone can explain me why would you recommend someone to do something while you don't do it for yourself to start with....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most eye surgeons don't trust anyone to get near their eye with a knife or anything else. Haven't met one yet that said he would have a cataract removed unless it was under general anestisia. Even those who have partners in which they have the utmost faith are terrified of the knife when it comes to their eyes.
    Once heard one on radio giving an interview (disguised commercial) telling about how wonderful RK was and saying that he would have it done himself but his eyes were too valuable to risk.

Guess that sums it up. Besides the days of "professional courtesy" are gone, they might have to pay for it now.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hmmmm, co-management fees??? I didn't just say that did I
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't imagine anyone who knows medicine opting for general anesthesia for today's cataract surgery. Much more risky...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not everyone's vanity requires them to spend exorbitant sums of cash on risky procedures without guaranteed results - besides the ECPs all know they're gonna be wearing reading glasses at some point even with 'successful' surgery anyway. Take it from someone who has had waaaay too many surgical procedures AND is vocal about his dislike for wearing glasses - as much as glasses suck, they are a VERY simple solution in comparison to surgery.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    as much as glasses suck, they are a VERY simple solution in comparison to surgery.
    +1000

I can not up-vote this enough.

Eyeglasses and contacts are replaceable.
    Mistakes, even the most ridiculous one cost only the price of a new pair.

And i am all for cataract surgery, which returns already lost vision. But refractive "plastic" surgery is insane.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We work with a great lasik doctor. But our bread and butter is in the frame/glasses sale. It would not look good for all of us not to wear glasses. I am a -0.25 and wear glasses at work and when I do not I say I have contacts in. I went into the wronf business....the dentist takes all my money.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
    ~Josh Billings~

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We work with a great lasik doctor.
    That's like saying you work with a great inquisitor .

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I don't have an Rx but I still wear glasses as an accessorie.
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Not everyone's vanity requires them to spend exorbitant sums of cash on risky procedures without guaranteed results - besides the ECPs all know they're gonna be wearing reading glasses at some point even with 'successful' surgery anyway. Take it from someone who has had waaaay too many surgical procedures AND is vocal about his dislike for wearing glasses - as much as glasses suck, they are a VERY simple solution in comparison to surgery.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Angelov View Post
    That's like saying you work with a great inquisitor .

Hey I am for real...he is a former flight sx. That is the kind of doc I can trust. LOL. But our co-management fee is very high. We make more off of lasik then if we where to sell an insurance patient a pair of glasses every year for 10 years! And in 10 years they will need night driving glasses.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
    ~Josh Billings~

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trust me if you have a terrified patient who might just not hold still, general can be a lot safer.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you look very carefully at the lapels, you will see a button, and on that button in very small letters, it says: " ..."

That should explain the phenomena you noted.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Trust me if you have a terrified patient who might just not hold still, general can be a lot safer.

Chip
    A skilled surgeon with good bedside manner knows how to deal with a scared patient. I can recommend a few if you don't know any. Bad medicine to overuse drugs for convenience...kinda like using proparacaine when fitting RGPs, only general is life threatening.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I am no OD, I almost got seduced into Lasik. We have a doctor in our practice whose passion is lasik, and I trust him very much. My wake up call was about a week after my decision to do the procedure, we got a new frame in that was so pretty it made me drool, and that was my answer. I Love my glasses, they are like jewelry, and I will keep them, thank you very much.

Now if they had lasik for my butt....

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fijpod: A terrified patient who knows all the things that can go wrong with any surgery would be much harder to calm down. I once worked for one who had an excellent surgeon for a partner. He split his lid on a door and put a butterfly on in and said: "I'm not letting one of those surgeons near me!"
    The ophthalmologist knows a sneeze or cought can end his career, especially if he's the patient. As a rule patient's never site the risk unless things have already gone wrong. And yes I am aware of all the yada, yada, yada on patient release forms. But the patient, if he bothers to read it at all, doesn't understand it in the sense that an ophthalologist would.

Chip

Are you wearing glasses or contacts or have you had lasik?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Fijpod: A terrified patient who knows all the things that can go wrong with any surgery would be much harder to calm down. I once worked for one who had an excellent surgeon for a partner. He split his lid on a door and put a butterfly on in and said: "I'm not letting one of those surgeons near me!"
    The ophthalmologist knows a sneeze or cought can end his career, especially if he's the patient. As a rule patient's never site the risk unless things have already gone wrong. And yes I am aware of all the yada, yada, yada on patient release forms. But the patient, if he bothers to read it at all, doesn't understand it in the sense that an ophthalologist would.

Chip

Are you wearing glasses or contacts or have you had lasik?
    Valium can calm somebody down without general anesthesia.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Knew an OD once who went in for Lasik. know has to wear CTLs and Glasses and can only see for about 6 hrs aday. :-(

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Now if they had lasik for my butt....

Sounds awesome BUTTSIK $ 499 per cheek!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does BUTTSUK sound too trashy?

Whatcha Think?
    Last edited by RIMLESS; 03-08-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Had Lasik in '99 and would do it all again. It's great to be able to wear glasses as a fashion accessory and not NEED them.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper No big deal.........................

I had my cataracts done 3 years ago and six month apart.

Having our nationalized health service in Canada we have ophthalmos that specialize in different surgical areas, and when one is specialized in cataracts he does some 15 to 25 a day. These guys work in the most modern operating rooms with the latest equipment and one usually works in 2 operating rooms. In one he operates while the other is prepared for the next patient, and when actually finished in 15 minutes (it lasts only that long) the whole crew moves over to the next operating room and do the next patient.

The cost out of pocket is $ 198.00 for the implant and some $ 12.00 for the antibiotic drops.

Thread Information