Thread: Chemistry clips

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chemistry clips

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Sell 'em?

We currently use eclips for our custom clips, but I just had a patient who is wearing a frame with chemistry clips, and wants to know if I can do new lenses for her.

If you use, do patients mind having the magnets visible on the lens? Does it screw with the A/R? With the warrenty of the lenses?

Any info would be greatly appretiated!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not sold on magnets in the lenses. I think that would casue more distortion in the lens.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The magnets are REALLY distracting in anything under a 56 eye

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have NO problem with client complaints about magnets, down to a 48 eye (obviously, this A size = narrow PD).
    No ONE has asked me to remove magnets. No one is unhappy with them. EVERYONE thinks they're cool and high tech...without exception.
    We also do Computer Chemestrie +0.50 to +1.50 layers, in addition to sun layers.
    For us, they are a no brainer, but we do them all in house.

Sold like this:

Magnetic "Layering System"

Entree: $65.00 for magnets (viewed as inexpensive); Retrofit Magnets to existing lenses: $89.00
    Sun layers: $165.00 (any color)
    Jewels: $25.00
    Computer (+) layer: $225.00
    3D layer: $99.00 with purchase of any other layer

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Love 'em? Hate 'em? Sell 'em?

We currently use eclips for our custom clips, but I just had a patient who is wearing a frame with chemistry clips, and wants to know if I can do new lenses for her.

If you use, do patients mind having the magnets visible on the lens? Does it screw with the A/R? With the warrenty of the lenses?

Any info would be greatly appretiated!
    If you need me to do the layer for you, let me know. Glad to help.
    Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm wearing mine in a 49-eye drilled rimless. I don't see the magnets anymore than I see the mounting. I love my Chemistrie sun lenses...polarized, double gradient, back-side A/R, crystals on the front. My accounts are selling them right and left!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post
    I am not sold on magnets in the lenses. I think that would casue more distortion in the lens.
    I know that it doesn't.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    The magnets are REALLY distracting in anything under a 56 eye
    No, no they're not.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    I'm wearing mine in a 49-eye drilled rimless. I don't see the magnets anymore than I see the mounting. I love my Chemistrie sun lenses...polarized, double gradient, back-side A/R, crystals on the front. My accounts are selling them right and left!
    You had me at crystals

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    While I think it is an interesting technology I find that response to them is dependent on the product your selling. In higher end practices and boutiques people did not like them and I had to remake them often. In lower and mid level practices people loved the convenience and price factor of it vs, a second pair of rx sun glasses so I think that outweighed issues like seeing the magnets. It is all in the perception of the buyer from in my opinion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeguy17 View Post
    While I think it is an interesting technology I find that response to them is dependent on the product your selling. In higher end practices and boutiques people did not like them and I had to remake them often. In lower and mid level practices people loved the convenience and price factor of it vs, a second pair of rx sun glasses so I think that outweighed issues like seeing the magnets. It is all in the perception of the buyer from in my opinion.
    Don't disagree with your summation. In my practice, people who decided to buy them, luv'd them...especially the computer layer. If they were put off the either seeing the magnets, or others seeing them, they didn't. Filtered out anyone who had hesitations.

B

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The mount on the temple piece on a 3-piece drill mount protrudes further into the "field of vision" in Rx lens than the magnets on a Chemistrie lens. If you want to maximize the profits in your practice, you need to offer your patients options and the Chemistrie lenses are a nice option for patients that want a sun clip or a reader layer rather than a second pair. I wear them and love 'em.

I cannot understand why any optician that wants to run a profitable practice would not want to carry them. If you make them in house, you will have some inventory costs, but you will make more money to fund your edger. If you buy from a lab, you have no investment in inventory and can capture sales you would have never had without carrying them. I fail to see any downside.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sold them to low, medium amd high end customers. Everyone who purchased them loved them and loved the little hard case with their own name scripted inside, a nice touch. I wear mine most of the time and the magnets do not bother me at all in a 50 eye frame. We do not sell them where I now work but I wish they did.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    You had me at crystals
    LOL. thanks Optilady, you made my da.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Don't disagree with your summation. In my practice, people who decided to buy them, luv'd them...especially the computer layer. If they were put off the either seeing the magnets, or others seeing them, they didn't. Filtered out anyone who had hesitations.

B
    Barry-

Are you using the computer layer only on single vision, or do you sell them to progressive wearer's as well? We tried a computer layer on one of our lab employee's who has progressives. She loved the computer view, but it made reading virtually impossible as it over plus'd her. Have you seen this as well?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, yes and no. If I use it over progressives, I usually limit the power to +0.75D. If I don't modify the original add power, and they're nearsighted, The over plus does seem to bother them, especially if they're -4.00 or above. In many cases, I will *cut* their add power by 0.50D, which works for myopes. then the computer clip works fine. The key is if they say "I always/still" take my glasses off to read. Then the overplus matches their naked eye fixation distance more closely.

B

Thread Information