Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What sunglasses are you currently wearing and why?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    TD Tom Davies Bespoke (custom) piece with Drivewear CR-39 and backside AR.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    TD Tom Davies Bespoke (custom) piece with Drivewear CR-39 and backside AR.
    Very cool Kcount!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    So far I have to assume that polarized in your business is nearly 100% , so you must not care for what purpose your customer wants them or needs them as long as he spends the bucks for them.
    That's just about the rudest thing anyone has ever said to me on this forum, Chris. Customer care is an enormous priority for me and my dispensary. No one in my practice makes spiffs or commission, and any bonuses from frame or lens companies go directly to my boss. I feel, and more importantly the owner of my practice feels, that a polarized lens is of enormous benefit over a simple tinted lens for nearly 100% of sunglass applications. Therefore I sell nearly 100% polarized sunglasses. There is also, of course, the fact that tints bleach out of dyed lenses, where polarized lenses retain their color.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    a polarized lens is of enormous benefit over a simple tinted lens
    I agree. Non-tinted lenses are for specific purposes while a polarized lens is an all around better general purpose lense. If your pt needs a tinted lense, then they probably also need a polarized lense too. So one could argue that you're saving them money by putting them in a polarized lense.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Polarized magnetic clip. Can't afford a pair of polarized progressives right now.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Currently wearing Activist Eyewear Summit with gray polar, backside AR, and silver mirror. Why? Because they're great sunglasses and people love to ask me about them.

Man I loved activist eyewear at the first show I saw them at........ Expo a few times ago.... How do you do with them at your office??? They look amazing. Really like the whole package.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Silhouette Dimensions with a Zeiss SV Individual Wrap Polorized Brown with Carat Advantage Backside. Love the Color.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I am surprised no one has high-end frames... I mean brands like Alain Mikli, Starck, Theo, Anne et Valentin, Barton Perreira, Lafont, Gold&Wood, Face a Face, Hoffman Horn and so on.....
    Remember, we're opticians...we don't make sh*t.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Blue Blockers or Foster Grants... depends on how sexy I feel

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Polarized magnetic clip. Can't afford a pair of polarized progressives right now.
    I'm with you. Polarized clip on my old overcorrected glasses. Man, I can see the street signs from way far away. When I got my new glasses, I felt robbed of all that good distance vision.

(Besides, that I'm just plain cheap.)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What the world needs is sunglasses that you can find when you need them. Especially at the last minite before going fishing.
    It's kind of like having five phillips screwdrivers and five slot head screwdrivers, when you need one, you can find the five you don't need easily.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I'm with you. Polarized clip on my old overcorrected glasses. Man, I can see the street signs from way far away. When I got my new glasses, I felt robbed of all that good distance vision.

(Besides, that I'm just plain cheap.)
    Soon as I get employed, I will be getting some polarized Rx progressives, Looks like I will be interviewing in Burlington soon. I hope to have a job ligned up as soon as I graduate. Anyway, I like the gray 1. Best I can find is Specialty is the only source. Sucks to need the big E.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    What the world needs is sunglasses that you can find when you need them. Especially at the last minite before going fishing.
    It's kind of like having five phillips screwdrivers and five slot head screwdrivers, when you need one, you can find the five you don't need easily.

Chip
    You need to get to the hardware store. One of mans best inventions is the flip aroung screwdrivers. They have two sized of phillips and straight blades. I have about 4 or 5 stashed around in strategic locations.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BCBG Essence with polarized lenses, Liberty Chopper with drivewear, and a really old Maui Jim

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybach drill mount in yellow gold with wood temples- brown transitions polarized NXT black mirror in an IOT progressive for everyday wear. Others that I wear for boat and sports are a Maui Jim grey evolution progressive and a Kaenon copper/rose lens in my RX; all are great and serve a different purpose.
    I have a few others that do not get worn anymore.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    That's just about the rudest thing anyone has ever said to me on this forum, Chris. Customer care is an enormous priority for me and my dispensary. No one in my practice makes spiffs or commission, and any bonuses from frame or lens companies go directly to my boss. I feel, and more importantly the owner of my practice feels, that a polarized lens is of enormous benefit over a simple tinted lens for nearly 100% of sunglass applications. Therefore I sell nearly 100% polarized sunglasses. There is also, of course, the fact that tints bleach out of dyed lenses, where polarized lenses retain their color.
    +1 Chris, just because I don't like or wear tinted lenses does not make me thief! Please take your happy pill and stop in to see how an optical can be run while taking in $$ and having folks leave saying thanks! The more they spend, the nicer they are and we have some very happy customers.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper selling sunglasses to consumers I would do it according to need and application.....

Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post

Interesting. I can't stand wearing non-polarized suns. They are not nearly as comfortable or relaxing on the eye, nor is my vision as crisp. I get the heebie jeebies when I'm in a pure tint and can't wait to get back into my polarized lens.

Also interesting...................as an optician in sales you will use above sentence in every sales talk about sunglasses, I could bet 5 bucks on it.

If I would be selling sunglasses to consumers I would do it according to need and application, and then use my pitch to push a bit more to one side or the other.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Let's see I have a Christian Dior w/plano grey 3 polar mirror coat, La font with plano brown polar w/ar, wonderful senegetti's bianca planos, MK planos grad tinted green because they are cool jackie o shaped and I love them. All of them plano since I had lasik in Nov......I personally like polarization but I have to say my green ones I love just as much...as for selling to a patient we need to sell to what they want and what they need and make everyone happy. Do most need polarization, but some can't and won't pay for it...Do they all need sunwear yes....Just help the patient dang it

Christina

Sorry forgot my Maui jims love them too

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

+1 Chris, just because I don't like or wear tinted lenses does not make me thief! Please take your happy pill and stop in to see how an optical can be run while taking in $$ and having folks leave saying thanks! The more they spend, the nicer they are and we have some very happy customers.

Craig.....I know what you mean and understand fully. However your concept is not the run of the mill. My roots are also in in an optical retail business that has worked on a similar principle as yours for a 105 years and is still there doing fine.

These days of ever increasing competition in rock bottom pricing, not talking of quality, many have to re-think their way of operating for not loosing their good stock of faithful customers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Maybach drill mount in yellow gold with wood temples- brown transitions polarized NXT black mirror in an IOT progressive for everyday wear. Others that I wear for boat and sports are a Maui Jim grey evolution progressive and a Kaenon copper/rose lens in my RX; all are great and serve a different purpose.
    I have a few others that do not get worn anymore.
    Sweet!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Also interesting...................as an optician in sales you will use above sentence in every sales talk about sunglasses, I could bet 5 bucks on it.

If I would be selling sunglasses to consumers I would do it according to need and application, and then use my pitch to push a bit more to one side or the other.
    Actually, was just stating my personal preference. I found it interesting that you prefer a non-polarized. I have no problem with poly carb, some people do. I have no problem with polarized, apparently you do. Sounds like you're some sort of polarized non-adapt. You stated they don't help you in heavy mist, they help me tremendoulsy in heavy mist. For the record, I always offer the best for the specific application. Price should never be a factor in recommending what is best. We leave the price decision to the consumer, after educating them on the pros and cons.
    Last edited by AustinEyewear; 03-09-2012 at 11:46 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have RayBan new wayfarers, non Rx, polarized w/ backside AR b/c they are fun and I loooove polarized lenses!
    Last edited by cturtle77; 03-09-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Oakley Square Whisker with polarized grey and backside AR. Frame was out of the junk frame drawer as I won't pay money for Oakley anything.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig.....I know what you mean and understand fully. However your concept is not the run of the mill. My roots are also in in an optical retail business that has worked on a similar principle as yours for a 105 years and is still there doing fine.

These days of ever increasing competition in rock bottom pricing, not talking of quality, many have to re-think their way of operating for not loosing their good stock of faithful customers.
    The reason for so much polarization the huge supply available to me now; I can get anything I want made and with no problems. Tinting is actually a pain in the a--; we do 100% ar with tints to eliminate the bleaching effect of the sun and we offer lower levels of polarization for those who are concerned about instruments on a panel.

The profits on tinted lenses is much higher for me than polarized, but we do it because it is what they want. The only reason we do a tint is to match a color they like or utilize for macular patients. They also like the lighter polarized lenses for sun wear as well and use the yellow for night and inside vision.

These days of ever increasing rock bottom pricing is exactly the reason to do what we do! My responsibility is to my family, faith, charities, employees and then my clients- if I do not make money than what is the point of running a business?

I do run on-line and high end retail so I can tell you from my experience that the quality of the offering and how it is presented the key to success!!! PRICING IS NOT THE REAL ISSUE IN A WIN/WIN BUSINESS SITUATION!

95% of internet sales are also polarized, so it is not always a $$ issue as you would want to think!

Chris,
    You are very comfortable financially, why not spend some and help the economy in Naples and then back in Canada?
    You might enjoy the process and please stop in for a demo of new polarized lenses. THe clear one is very cool and soon to be available.

Respectfully,
    Craig

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    last count (that my wife did) i have over 40 pair... most of those are in rotation.

the ones i have worn the most, most recently...
    Kaenon segment - x2 colors
    Kaenon hard kore -
    Freeform FFS505 - along with 4 others, 4 out of 5 polarized the other hase the gradient gold mirror
    Mark Ecko ghost shears -
    2 different prada linnea rossa polarized.
    a pair of timex polarized suns... cant remember the model.

always looking for more and different ones. my family and friend raid my sunglass case whenever we have people over... we started locking it if there are too many people at the house.

Thread Information