Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What sunglasses are you currently wearing and why?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What sunglasses are you currently wearing and why?

Sunglass season is quickly approaching! I am just curious what you guys are using for sun protection? I am currently wearing a Nike Show X2 for most situations. I love the fact that I can adjust the temples and nosepads on the fly, I have always had problems with plastic frames hitting my eyelashes. I have 3 sets of lenses for different enviornments grey, grey polarized, and orange for night time softball. I also have a Nike tailwind with photchromic lenses for mountain biking. We are thinking about picking up the new Carrera X-Cede the rep brought them in not too long ago and they are awesome! I think the vision is noticably better than my nike lenses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In RX I wear Maui Jim. In plano over contacts, I have a Shuron Nusir Royale with plano polarized and an older Coach with plano polarized inserted.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a columbia something or other with Drivewear, and a Vera Wang Perine that needs to have my Rx put in instead of plano.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm wearing a Serengeti Milano polarized photochromic with a gold flash mirror, plano. Mostly wear them because I love the lenses......and they're free. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm wearing a FezzJohns Profiteer with Driewear w/AR!

These have cable temple to keep the frames on during high speed BeerSlide rides!

Luv Em!!
    Last edited by Fezz; 03-09-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: I am an iiiiiiiiiiiiidddddiiiiiioooooot!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jon Varvatos V760 in Rx: Auto II SV Polarized 1.67 are my favorite but I have 7 pairs of suns to only 3 clears.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper After cataract use 2 pairs...........................

I must have a few dozen of them, all in top class french made, (no Chinese parentage) large metal frames with my self tinted lenses. Since my cataracts have been removed I actually now just use 2 pairs that are fully comfortable.

Most used ones: 40% absorbtion brown lenses 100% UV protected, for outside use in cloudy and sunny weather.

For driving in bright sunlight I totally prefer my Blue-Blocker lenses, over- tinted chocolate brown that absorb full 100% UV up to 335nm. They give me full contrast, even against the sunlight and provide a very soothing effect.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow I am gonna have to work on my collection! I only have the 2 pairs right now!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got 3 pairs. Depending on my mood for the day Anne et Valentin, Barton Perreira, or Theo.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris is there a reason you don't use a polarized lens?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a nice collection...today I am wearing a Prada with plano polar I've had since GASP! 2007. I also have a now extinct Miu-Miu that I still love to wear. I have a Fendi with leather temples. A Versace with mother of pearl inlay of the Greek key on the side. My newest is a Safilo 9West close-out that I have put my rx in...plano top +1.50 add polar gray....and I am also awaiting my new script put in my 2 year old Gucci's with the buckle that I ordered the Kodak Unique NXT photo polar brown to replace the Drivewears that were in them. We'll see how that goes Why? You ask???
    I AM the kid in the candy store!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have four pair of RX sunglasses: A Marc Ecko The Alex, a Prodesign 4648-1, a Prodesign 7348, and a Nike 7040. All four are designated as ophthalmics, not sunglass frames; my RX is in the -9 range and slightly smaller frames work better for me. All four are 1.67 polarized grey with Crizal Sun; the Prodesign 7348 (an awesome glossy titanium aviator) also has a silver mirror on the front.

For planos over contacts, I use a Rudy Project Rydon (boring bestseller, I know) for anything athletic, but I have a handful of older Lacoste and Ted Baker styles that I wear for fashion occasionally. If performance is ever any issue, it's the Rydon with ImpactX photopolarized grey lenses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am currently wearing a pair of Maui Jim's with the HCL Bronze lens...love them!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My next pair will be a pair of McAllisters in silver, gray polarized with red mirror.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am surprised no one has high-end frames... I mean brands like Alain Mikli, Starck, Theo, Anne et Valentin, Barton Perreira, Lafont, Gold&Wood, Face a Face, Hoffman Horn and so on.....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Juicy Couture Bruton/s in ERN (Brown and Pink) I have 3 pairs of Juicy frames and they are all 3-5 years old. Only my Cazals have lasted longer. I am to cheap to put polarized lenses in (buzz kill when I found out the lenses are CR39 w tint) so if any reps wanna throw a voucher my way, LoL. I am on the hunt for a new pair. I really liked some of the Europa styles last time our rep was in.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
    ~Josh Billings~

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm wearing a Kaenon Soft Kore, an Umbro something-or-other, and a Nike something-or-other. Hard to believe that Umbro and Nike are stealing each other's frame naming system!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My main pair is Gucci 1856/S w/ KBco polar chocolate brown and Crizal Gold mirror. Low light is a pair of NOS Luxxotica Directors holding drivewear, uncoated as of yet. For fishing I have a pair of Columbia Thunderstorms with brown polar/blue mirror/backside AR Wiley X stock lenses cut into them. On the motorcycle, I have a pair of Wiley X Rout, though I typically use a tinted visor instead. Lately I've been rocking a pair of Tru Trusardi TR12908 in tortoise, because I live in a college town and can do that. All in all I have 13 pair, including some Charmant drill mount frames w/ Wiley X stock lenses I made exclusively for myself. All are plano, as I can see very well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Currently wearing Activist Eyewear Summit with gray polar, backside AR, and silver mirror. Why? Because they're great sunglasses and people love to ask me about them.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post

Chris is there a reason you don't use a polarized lens?

Not really......................I am familiar with polarized lenses since the the late 40s when father gave me a pair when I was teenager. Then later working in the retail I used to sell them the same way as you do today with the same sale arguments and reasons that never changed over time.

When I went into boating I made my captains license and never felt the need for polarized lenses while operating and owning a good size optical service lab.

However when cruising up the St.Laurence river, on the fly bridge of my 50' cruiser, in the late afternoon trying to reach the next Marina before dark against the setting sun among a lot shoals that were well marked with red an green bouys and you could not distinguish neither the red nor green ones. The only lenses you would see which was green or red against the sun was the blue blockers, polaroid did not help a bit.

Heavy mist or a light fog was also something polaroid would be of no advantage........however the blue blockers would let let me see 2 to 3 times further.

There are reasons polaroid is a fantastic help, but there are other reasons where they are of no special use. Sell them where needed not just for the reason of a more expensive sale.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    I am surprised no one has high-end frames... I mean brands like Alain Mikli, Starck, Theo, Anne et Valentin, Barton Perreira, Lafont, Gold&Wood, Face a Face, Hoffman Horn and so on.....
    Well, my titanium Prodesigns would retail about $1200 with all the add-ons I included. That's pretty high-end by my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There are reasons polaroid is a fantastic help, but there are other reasons where they are of no special use. Sell them where needed not just for the reason of a more expensive sale.
    I don't sell anything just for the reason of a more expensive sale. I sell nearly 100% polarized for general sunglass use because it's a vastly superior-functioning general-purpose option compared to a simple tinted lens, and because they hold their color better than a tinted lens.

For almost all applications, polarized is to sunglasses as anti-reflective is to clear glasses. The disadvantages are swamped by the advantages.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't count the lens cost. Prodesign is good no question on that. But what I mean by high-end is frames made well not frames made like crap but retails for fortune like Tiffany&Co, Chanel, and others in similar. :)

[QUOTE=AngeHamm;415073]Well, my titanium Prodesigns would retail about $1200 with all the add-ons I included. That's pretty high-end by my estimation.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

Well, my titanium Prodesigns would retail about $1200 with all the add-ons I included. That's pretty high-end by my estimation.

I don't sell anything just for the reason of a more expensive sale. I sell nearly 100% polarized for general sunglass use because it's a vastly superior-functioning general-purpose option compared to a simple tinted lens, and because they hold their color better than a tinted lens.

For almost all applications, polarized is to sunglasses as anti-reflective is to clear glasses. The disadvantages are swamped by the advantages.

Ange Ham..................In you answer you did not even go into the technical aspect of visual adventages as I explained. So far I have to assume that polarized in your business is nearly 100% , so you must not care for what purpose your customer wants them or needs them as long as he spends the bucks for them.
    There are many more reasons that they are not the ideal solution..............I give you one more, the skihill with all the bumpy areas wher you have no contrast effects with polarized lenses and so forth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Interesting. I can't stand wearing non-polarized suns. They are not nearly as comfortable or relaxing on the eye, nor is my vision as crisp. I get the heebie jeebies when I'm in a pure tint and can't wait to get back into my polarized lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    TD Tom Davies Bespoke (custom) piece with Drivewear CR-39 and backside AR.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Thread Information