Thread: For those of us who refuse to watch "American Idol"

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Stick out tongue For those of us who refuse to watch "American Idol"

Okay, here's a question for everyone...

It has become painfully obvious that network executives are all on crack or speed or simply too much caffeine from their double lattes! What show would you rather see put back on the TV in the form of re-runs than the tripe we are currently being offered (I welcome observations as to what qualifies as tripe as well).

As I've stated elsewhere, I miss Newhart. I also miss M*A*S*H. Also, what was the police sit-com show with a character named "Fish?"
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That was Barney Miller!

I agree with you about Newhart (one of the best TV comedies ever) and also about American Idol. The latter is clearly calculated to feed the seemingly insatiable appetite Americans have for 'reality' TV. The truth is that I can barely stand to even watch the commercials for it.

On the other hand I have to admit that this type of show can be strangely appealing and I've decided not to even attempt to watch it lest I get 'hooked' like some of my fellow OptiBoarder's have.

Speaking of 'reality' TV, has anyone watched The Osbornes? My 70-year old mother, who I remember roundly ridiculing the Beatles and all early Rock 'n Roll groups, told me about this show and said I should watch it. She's now become a big fan of Ozzie Osborne and his clan. I did watch it a couple of times and I have to admit it was pretty entertaining.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete:

Barney Miller.

Chip

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    The A 'I aint gettin on no plane, fool' Team, The Incredible Hulk, Battlestar Gallactica, Knight Rider, The Dukes Of Hazard (helloooo Daisy, Duuuuuu dem Dookes), The Fall Guy.

All of the above kick reality TVs a*s. I watch TV to get away from all the wierdos on this planet, not watch them!!

When is someone going to work out that if you imprison the A Team in your garden shed, for god's sake, make sure you haven't left the following in there:-

- Lots of guns and spare ammunition.
    - 30 sheets of bulletproof currugated steel
    - An old vehicle that JUST runs
    - A blow torch
    - 3 dozen pop rivets and pop rivet gun
    - Just enough fuel to drive a big armoured vehicle in a big circle shooting at everybody.
    - A spare pack of cuban cigars.
    - Change of clothes (for Face, of course)

They're bound to have spent 10 minutes creating an invincible, bulletproof armoured vehicle with more guns than a shooting range, and they're going to 'surprisingly' burst out and kick your a*s!.

And another thing, Kit from Knightrider must be getting seriously er, frustrated being locked up in Michael's dashboard with all those testosterone inducing heroics going on. Maybe Devon could arrange for a pretty pink Beetle to be left in the garage with Kit overnight?

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: For those of us who refuse to watch "American Idol"

Pete Hanlin said:
    Also, what was the police sit-com show with a character named "Fish?"

Barney Miller was a great show! I loved Fish played by Abe (I am NOT DEAD!) Vigoda! Also, I loved the Asian guy, too! That was too funny!

Still like American Idol, too! More, now that I know it BUGS Pete!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Re: For those of us who refuse to watch "American Idol"

cah2020 said:

Barney Miller was a great show! I loved Fish played by Abe (I am NOT DEAD!) Vigoda! Also, I loved the Asian guy, too!
    Uh oh! Now this is going to bug me............for the life of me i cannot remember the name of the character that he played.Help!

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Re: Re: For those of us who refuse to watch "American Idol"

Sean said:
    Uh oh! Now this is going to bug me............for the life of me i cannot remember the name of the character that he played.Help!

It was Nick Yemana. I got the info here:

http://timvp.com/bmiller.html
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The A 'I aint gettin on no plane, fool' Team, The Incredible Hulk, Battlestar Gallactica, Knight Rider, The Dukes Of Hazard (helloooo Daisy, Duuuuuu dem Dookes), The Fall Guy.
    I'm with you with most of those! However, what is it with you Brits and the "A-Team"??? Also, I could never figure out how the General Lee managed to fly into the air while driving down a country road in Hazard County (some of those pot holes must have been, dare I say- hazardous). "Goood, goood, goood, goood" (as the good sherriff used to say).
    Ugh!

Anyway, "Fall Guy" has to have been one of the best shows ever! Battlestar Galactica, oh yeah!

PS- If you ever run into Rachel Weisz over there in England, say "hello" for me! I'm currently watching "The Mummy" (for like the fifth time), and...
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ever since I was 9 years old I've wondered how Steve Garret (?) (Hawaii 5-O) could squeal his tires in the middle of a sugar cane field. I think the Dukes did it as well on dirt roads...

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thank's

cah2020 said:

It was Nick Yemana. I got the info here:

http://timvp.com/bmiller.html
    Cindy thank's for the answer and the web page as well.Although i do like to watch Barney Miller, M*A*S*H etc......my all time favorite would have to be "All In The Family".Now that show is one of the best........right up there with the "Honeymooners":)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Still like American Idol, too! More, now that I know it BUGS Pete!
    I'm so happy I have done something to enhance your enjoyment of this otherwise pathetic piece of...

Oh well, I give up- I'll let all of you get back to "Fear Factor," "The Mole," and all your other favorite "reality" shows!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Thread Information