How do I build our patient base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I build our patient base?

I am looking for any tips you all may have on how to go about filling up our exam room. We have been open about a year and have a great part-time doctor that we would like to see busier. We are getting good traffic flow coming in for our great selection of specs but want to put more effort into building a solid patient base behind it. Also, I am wondering what unique marketing campaigns or promotions you guys may have used to increase business. Thanks!

The best growth is from patient referals. I found asking the simple question "do you want to book an appointment for anyone else in your family today?" increased our patient flow about 25%.

We also left a bowl / tray of refrigerator magnets on the desk and when patients were checking out, we offered them the stack to invite thier friends or coworkers to visit our practice. "If you would like to tell your friends about us, please take as many as you like". I would have patients actually come back to grab a stack and bring it back to their offices.

The key though is lavish customer service especially while you have time.
    Get a mini-fridge and stock it with water and soda, and espresso machine (pods are ok), offer drinks to everyone who comes in.
    Also, we often clean our patients glasses but don't neglect the thier friends and family in the waiting room, they are your next patients.
    One office writes two Contact lens RX's for every fit because they are new and have extra time, one for planned replacements and the other for dailies. Even if patients only choose one, they love having the choice.
    I also did a lot of special orders, and ask the patient to bring a friend along as a second opinion to help them choose the perfect frame. Time after time that friend became our patient.

Comment

Three words: Blood, Sweat, Tears
      Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Comment

One word = network = most important word .

Comment

Referral cards. For every referral card that comes back with a patient's name on it that patient recives a 25.00 gift certificate and the bearer of the card receives 20% off their purchase. When a patient picks up their new glasses they get a gift bag in which I put their case, a cleaning cloth, a pen, letter opener or magnet with our name on it and four referral cards.

Comment

Take every insurance known to man. Your business and profits will increase dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by regional_manager View Post
              Take every insurance known to man. Your business and profits will increase dramatically.
              Oops...minor typo there RM - you meant to say: "Your business and workload will increase dramatically." I'm sure... Profits will enter a dismal downward spiral.

Comment

Originally posted by cocoisland58 View Post
                Referral cards. For every referral card that comes back with a patient's name on it that patient recives a 25.00 gift certificate and the bearer of the card receives 20% off their purchase. When a patient picks up their new glasses they get a gift bag in which I put their case, a cleaning cloth, a pen, letter opener or magnet with our name on it and four referral cards.
                Its a very good idea, but there can be some remote chance of HIPAA issues with referal cards if they are not done very carefully. I would consult with an attorney before you go this route so it can be safely structured. It can be done, and it can be successful, but it requires some planning.

Comment

Just wondering.........................

Originally posted by optical-rep View Post

I am looking for any tips you all may have on how to go about filling up our exam room. We have been open about a year and have a great part-time doctor that we would like to see busier. We are getting good traffic flow coming in for our great selection of specs but want to put more effort into building a solid patient base behind it. Also, I am wondering what unique marketing campaigns or promotions you guys may have used to increase business. Thanks!

..............just wondering that you as a frame manufacturer operates a retail store ????????????????????????????

Comment

Having staff personally calling pts who haven't been in within 2 years. It's amazing what a friendly reminder can do! And when they make appts. be sure to ask if anyone else in the household would like to join them. Increased business tremendously!

Comment

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
                      Oops...minor typo there RM - you meant to say: "Your business and workload will increase dramatically." I'm sure... Profits will enter a dismal downward spiral.
                      You will have to work hard, but I don't see anything wrong with that. And if you know what you're doing as a business then your profits WILL increase period.

Comment

Originally posted by regional_manager View Post
                        You will have to work hard, but I don't see anything wrong with that. And if you know what you're doing as a business then your profits WILL increase period.
                        Working "hard" for managed care pt's will not get you a penny more from the company. In fact, be prepared to simply hand over 60-90% of your potential margins direct to the insurance bank account. Because you will n-e-v-e-r see it.

If you know what you're doing as a business, then you wouldn't want nor indeed need any sort of managed care. And THAT, is good business sense!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick777 View Post
                          Its a very good idea, but there can be some remote chance of HIPAA issues with referal cards if they are not done very carefully. I would consult with an attorney before you go this route so it can be safely structured. It can be done, and it can be successful, but it requires some planning.
                          The referring patient is the one who adds their own name to the back of the card and gives it to a friend so I doubt HIPAA would get involved. Plus we had "borrowed" this idea from a large corporation whom I assume covered the bases legally.

Comment

Originally posted by RIMLESS View Post
                            Three words: Blood, Sweat, Tears
                            Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True dat! If I may build upon your advice, (I have a great affinity for flow charts)

-->Blood, Sweat, Tears ----->
                            ^...................................... |
                            | .......................................|
                            |<---------------------------V

Comment

Nice Touch
                              90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Comment

Working...
                              X