Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alittle help

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you think the problem is? I know where I worked last we would get the worst resumes. Of course all these people thought their resumes were fine. Do you think there could be a problem with yours? Perhaps you could post a link to it (with private information left out of course) and I'm sure people here would give helpful suggestions.

I did a resume I thought was good and when I showed my very smart daughter she helped me redo it. The new one was so much better.

Record yourself doing a pretend interview. Just record yourself giving some answers to common questions. I think a lot of people don't realize how they really sound and come across. Watch out for fillers such as like, you know, and um.

How's your appearance? Your interview outfit should be stylish and fit well. Your makeup shouldn't be overdone but don't go without any. Is your hair graying? Consider coloring it and make sure the style is good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been in the optical business since 1975. I've worked in the lab, out front managed and owned stores and doctors' offices in DC, Maryland, Florida and now, North Carolina. I've gone on 30 job interviews here since last March. NOT ONE optometry office that I interviewed for has a male optician. The Big Boys want you licensed and want you cheap. I went to a Lions' Club vision screening last month. I had a great conversation with the OD who is a partner with one of the larger practices here in town. His office hasn't hired an optician in 5 years.
    All I can tell you is to keep plugging away. I'm out of the optical business and I doubt that I will ever get back in.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was unemployed last year, I found it very difficult to find a job as well. I was actually told by some docs that unfortunately they 1)could not afford me 2) since I always rose up to management, I would be a threat to their existing structure and 3) they could not offer me something I would be happy with for long term, so it wasn't worth hiring me if I was going to be gone, and by all rights I should be moving to greener pastures, as soon as the economy recovered.

So where do I work now?

The fed. Funny thing is I make less money than I did before, though.. I have good (though not the golden parachute) benefits. I was desperate and needed work.. so I took this lowly GS position anyway. Fortunately, I like it :) Even if its not optical.

The great thing about going for a federal position is that its all about the experience, skills, knowledge, etc.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sadly this industry is full of people in places of management that I have found are NOT as experienced as those seeking employment with that particular company, and as a result are afraid that they will loose their position to those more qualified. I too have had this issue over the years. In addition there are way too many people that are RECYCLED through out the industry as well, lens and frame company's are so stupid when it comes to their sales reps, for example: The lens rep for a lens company works for that company for 10 years, establishes their place in their territory, everyone and their Uncle knows this person, has established great relationships etc. Than, for some ridiculous reason they leave the company to join another, and start all over again. Someone out there with half a brain want to tell me why would you want to loose your creditability after 10 years of going around to all you know preaching that the lens company you represent has the best lenses in the world, than after 10 years join another company and now try and tell those same people that the company that you represent now has the best lenses in the world? What is the REAL likely hood that you can just get customers to switch?(almost impossible). And for what ?A great increase in pay? (doubt it) commission? (not likely, too many choices). I have seen this behavior for years, and I have seen so many go down because we have become stupid and lazy. We don't help anymore we hinder, we have to start putting the professionalism back into the profession.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nothing so far. I have decided to try and start my training project. I have written a troubleshooting class that I have taught alot while I was working. I am going to formally offer to teach to local doctors and staff and see if anyone wants an on call trainer available. I offically sent off my stuff to the ABO to become a certified abo trainer. Nothing else is going on. I was thinking also about how else I can go forward and I am not sure what else I can do. I have again tried the working for free and have had no reponse. My favorite reps have heard of nothing...Minnesota is a tough...

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if this has been suggested, but what about part time fill-in work? I know 2 opticians that turn down work because they get so many calls. (plus, they get paid a premium.)

OptiBoard Professional eyecarepro's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A shame you are not Licensed in Virginia, we' re having a terrible time finding VA Licensed Opticians out here and we pay top dollar, too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know I thought about that but wasn't sure how to go about doing it. I tried talking to one of my labs and didn't hear anything...Any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if this has been suggested, but what about part time fill-in work? I know 2 opticians that turn down work because they get so many calls. (plus, they get paid a premium.)
    Christina

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Have any money or access to money?? There are about a gazillion street corners in The Cities that would be good for a small retail store.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    You know I thought about that but wasn't sure how to go about doing it. I tried talking to one of my labs and didn't hear anything...Any suggestions??

Christina
    1. Get some business cards.

2. Tell every frame/lens rep in the area that you are available. Give them some cards.

3. Personally go into every independent shop/small regional chain (forget about the big boys). Try to get 1 minute of the owner/Dr's time. Leave very brief single sheet info page with card attatched.

4. Do not charge less than $200 a day. Even a half day. Insist on payment at the end of each day.

5. Send follow-up/reminder cards to these locations every 6 months or so.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I dont know about You ,but I place a" looking for work" on this forum and got two good leads but no Job . I am surpised you did not get attack for saying " ABO and certified" in the same sentence ,because I sure was ?
    Try linkedin .

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Revamp your resume to match the current flavor of optician desired. Again 20 years experience with ABO/NCLE, they want the new dimond in the rough not the sparkling gem they pay top dollar for. Basically your a retail and they're lookign for wholesale. Try retail they are flipping opticians like burgers, but keep the credentials and time in to a minimum.

You can get offended but that's the reality, I have gone through it over the last year myself and this dream of what opticianry should be is nice but hope don't pay the bills. 20 years experience and I'd wonder why I never heard of you. ABO/NCLE and as a hiring manager I'd wonder what kind of pay your looking for. Also forget the resume, thats a static document focus your attention on the cover letter. A carefully crafted cover letter will do you more justice in landing an interview. Create a cover letter for: an Optometric office, an Ophthalmologists office, an Opticians office, and a retail enviornment. That way you have yur bases covered and pull out the one that applies to the situation.

So you gave up on the more advanced tests, good for you, they're really not worth much anyway except to impress your peers who don't really give a rats behind anyway.

It sounds like a lot of bad advice going on in this thread, I liked the networking part and personally I have never got a job responding to classifieds either. Go out there and introduce yourself as you drop off resumes. Make impressions, take cards, ask for referrals to potential employers. Sitting at home and sending out resumes over craigslist is lazy, I would expect that as the mentality of the person who responded that way.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    What do you think the problem is? I know where I worked last we would get the worst resumes. Of course all these people thought their resumes were fine. Do you think there could be a problem with yours? Perhaps you could post a link to it (with private information left out of course) and I'm sure people here would give helpful suggestions.

I did a resume I thought was good and when I showed my very smart daughter she helped me redo it. The new one was so much better.

Record yourself doing a pretend interview. Just record yourself giving some answers to common questions. I think a lot of people don't realize how they really sound and come across. Watch out for fillers such as like, you know, and um.

How's your appearance? Your interview outfit should be stylish and fit well. Your makeup shouldn't be overdone but don't go without any. Is your hair graying? Consider coloring it and make sure the style is good.
    That's good advice. I've always thought a resume with misspellings, typos, missed punctuation was a sign that the person wasn't very good at paying attention to detail and that I could expect similar results in their work. Same thing for people showing up late to interviews or with really wrinkled clothes, missing articles of clothing, dirty fingernails, etc. The most annoying resumes were the ones with the job description pasted right out of monster's job descriptions for the position.

Also, is your facebook or twitter page public, and what does it have on it visible for future employers to judge you on?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No luck yet...Have vsp interview on Wednesday..after that I am putting myself out there as me...have the business cards made up and the intro letters ready to go. I am offering fill in services and training services...I don't know if I will get any takers but its a start....I am thinking about a website...haven't workout those details yet....have to get my cards in the hands of the local reps too....

Christina

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck tomorrow!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you:-)

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No luck yet...Have vsp interview on Wednesday..after that I am putting myself out there as me...have the business cards made up and the intro letters ready to go. I am offering fill in services and training services...I don't know if I will get any takers but its a start....I am thinking about a website...haven't workout those details yet....have to get my cards in the hands of the local reps too....

Christina

Way to go Christina! As my friend Fezz says, "You got Gusto!"

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello everyone I had few questions and was hoping if anyone can help me. I am thinking about going into an optician dispensing school.

Should I attend a program or just study for the exam on my own?

What’s a name of a good optician school in Los Angeles?

How is the job market in Los Angeles?

What is average salary in Los Angles?

How do you like your job?

If you had to do it all over again will you go into this field?

I would really really appreciate if you don’t mind answering these questions and it will really help me make my mind up.

Thank you again!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How did it go?
    Last edited by Fezz; 03-31-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Mr Fezz I'm not sure.....The gentlemen were both very nice..let me talk for awhile..l asked questions..they asked a few not alot...and we were done....They had one more to go and they were flying back to Cali.....They will decide from there who goes to round 3.....

Christina

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Mr Fezz I'm not sure.....The gentlemen were both very nice..let me talk for awhile..l asked questions..they asked a few not alot...and we were done....They had one more to go and they were flying back to Cali.....They will decide from there who goes to round 3.....

Christina
    Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Mr Fezz

Christina
    No need for formalities, I'm just Fezz!

Good luck!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck Christina. I havn't been back in MN in years, but if I can help just PM me.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, after stating that I am completely out of the optical business and will never go back....yup, working for an optical in Raleigh........
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Well, after stating that I am completely out of the optical business and will never go back....yup, working for an optical in Raleigh........
    We all do what we do the best.

Thread Information