Thread: Parents picking up glasses w/o child present

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Parents picking up glasses w/o child present

So whenever I have a parent picking up for a child who isn't present (or anyone picking up for someone who isn't present for that matter) I go through a little spiel that explains that they will need to bring in the child at some point soon to get the glasses adjusted. Usually they're a little loose, they might fall off and get broken, ect. Yeah, I just had a parent say, "it's ok, if they fall off and get broken I'm sure you'll give my son another pair because it wouldn't be his fault." WHAT?!?! hmphh. fault doesn't enter into it. If I give you glasses and you don't take my advice and they get broken I'll be happy to sell you another pair, but ain't nothin free!

grumble, grumble, grumble. somebody get me a donut, I need some sugar....and possibly a nap.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, so I have to know what your response was to that statement? Please tell me you didn't let it go...

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    OK, so I have to know what your response was to that statement? Please tell me you didn't let it go...
    "We would be happy to sell you another pair at a discounted rate that we extend to everyone with your child's insurance in the event that they break."
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are people so annoying?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or.... The "DAD" picks up glasses for 5 year old triplets, all high hyperopes, but different Rxs - he says "We live too far away to bring them all down at the same time - they have remedial programs to attend." I say - "OK, they are all aligned and wearable, but not really adjusted to them individually. Please bring them in soon so we can fine tune the adjustments." He says "It don't matter none - they wear each others clothes and it works OK." I never saw them again :(
    Last edited by SharonB; 02-23-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only time I'll allow eyeglasses to leave the office without fitting is if the client has been recently disabled, or if they're traveling and the eyeglasses can not be dispensed before their departure. In those cases I'll use the display frame and instruct the lab to be careful not to upset the alignment.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We get this a lot, especially with our VIP (medicaid) clients. I find that pointing out the difference between looking smart in glasses, and looking nerdy can hinge on how they fit, and I'd rather there kids look their best in the competitive social world of school. Or a simple "if they look all crazy, drag them in and we'll fix it. Puts it in their court to negatively impact their Child's life. Anything beyond 1D+/- doesn't leave the store without a proper fitting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    "We would be happy to sell you another pair at a discounted rate that we extend to everyone with your child's insurance in the event that they break."
    Perfect response and perfectly tactful!

I never know what to do about people who come in to pick up so-and-so's (kids, mom's, husband's) glasses. You KNOW there will be a problem down the road, especially with progressives. Then they come in all huffy because they a) can't see or b) glasses hurting someplace on their face.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Oh I am bad...if they are single vision I will give them out. If they are progressives I will leave the markings on....they HAVE to come back in to get the markings removed.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
    ~Josh Billings~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good timing! I just had a man come in angry about his new progressives....then I looked him up and saw my note...."wife picked up". Of course, I ALWAYS tell them they WILL need adjusting and to please let me know it is their first fitting when they return.....but you know how messages go. I had to revert to the glasses are like a nice suit and need to be "tailored" for best fit analogy, but he left happy.
    I am considering running off some colorful "notes" to go along with unfit glasses dispenses to make it look like a "ticket" for a complementary adjustment just to get them in and then I can explain ALL of my adjustments are complementary

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    Good timing! I just had a man come in angry about his new progressives....then I looked him up and saw my note...."wife picked up". Of course, I ALWAYS tell them they WILL need adjusting and to please let me know it is their first fitting when they return.....but you know how messages go. I had to revert to the glasses are like a nice suit and need to be "tailored" for best fit analogy, but he left happy.
    I am considering running off some colorful "notes" to go along with unfit glasses dispenses to make it look like a "ticket" for a complementary adjustment just to get them in and then I can explain ALL of my adjustments are complementary
    Perhaps one of those cards for when you send frames to the wholesaler, but with a warning that glasses will not work right until properly fit. Impossible to put on the specs without choosing to ignore.

Thread Information