Thread: Hard to see laser engravings...revealed!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hard to see laser engravings...revealed!

Ok, so I know I'm kindofa dull blade but...
    Yesterday I had an uncut freeform polarized lens come back from the lab without the laser engravings marked (thank you very little - how did YOU verify them?) and could NOT find the laser markings. I have an Essilor PAL-ID light and just before sending them back to the lab for re-marking I removed the green filter to reveal the (really) bright fluorescent tubes underneath; with a little twisting and turning ...voila - there they were! Brilliant (literally).

Hope this can help someone else!

Not sure why I never thought to take that thing off before ...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Ok, so I know I'm kindofa dull blade but...
    Yesterday I had an uncut freeform polarized lens come back from the lab without the laser engravings marked (thank you very little - how did YOU verify them?) and could NOT find the laser markings. I have an Essilor PAL-ID light and just before sending them back to the lab for re-marking I removed the green filter to reveal the (really) bright fluorescent tubes underneath; with a little twisting and turning ...voila - there they were! Brilliant (literally).

Hope this can help someone else!

Not sure why I never thought to take that thing off before ...
    Sounds like the laser engraver in their lab needs calibrated. You shouldn't have to do all that to see them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by racethe1320 View Post
    Sounds like the laser engraver in their lab needs calibrated. You shouldn't have to do all that to see them.
    If theres a backside coat the engravings can fill. a general PItA
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On a variation of this, I remove the green filter just slightly, revealing a narrow strip of the white florescent light underneath. The narrow band of white light helps me the most.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    If theres a backside coat the engravings can fill. a general PItA
    True, but typically the settings of the laser's intensity is based on material and those materials should be broken out accordingly before coating. I suppose not every lab does this, but to me it's more a process issue than materials issue. Not saying this particular instance couldn't be a one-off thing though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the tips Tony and George, I didn't know about that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Laser Engravings are slowly moving from the front of the lens, to the back. The reason for this is that backside engraving does not require the surfaced lens to be de-blocked. Its faster and more accurate. If your looking on the front, a backside engraving will be harder to see.

I don't know if that is your case, but it might be for others so I will post anyway.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's true that Laser intensity settings should be based on lens material , but in the special case of polarized lenses the power setting has to be increased a little more independantly of the lens material because of the dark background of the lens which makes it more difficult to visualize.You should speak with your Lab about it.

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Some confusion…
    1 the laser engravings are on convex side on traditional PAL, in freeform are ALL on concave, on PAL with a mix of additions (cx and cc) the engravings are on convex.
    2 The engravings are most of the times by laser but in some generators the engravings are product by a hard tools at the end of the generation of the power (on CC side)
    3 There are two different cause for the missing of the engravings, first is un curved (sportive) lenses, not all the laser are able to follows high base concave side (so the sign is too soft) or the cause is connect with the thermal treatment after the hard costing.
    The high index material became too soft with the temperature and for example with 1.67 up 100°c the engravings disappear.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=TLG;412108]Ok, so I know I'm kindofa dull blade but...

Tony
    What was your your Polarized Lens Rx and lens material? Mauro is correct about the high curved sport lenses

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    It's true that Laser intensity settings should be based on lens material , but in the special case of polarized lenses the power setting has to be increased a little more independantly of the lens material because of the dark background of the lens which makes it more difficult to visualize.You should speak with your Lab about it.
    True. Again, why I say it's more of a process error as the lab should be verifying the appearance of the engravings as part of their inspection process.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, I thought it was just us having problems!

I've received two pair of polarized, free-form lenses for dress wear (not sports glasses so no crazy base curve) to be edged in my lab which ended up being sent back to the surfacing lab. We wanted the surfacing lab to mark up the lenses and send them back to us or redo them- either way a colossal waste of time.

We tried removing the filter of our PAL ID and unfortunately it hasn't helped. Anyone else have a solution?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Wow, I thought it was just us having problems!

I've received two pair of polarized, free-form lenses for dress wear (not sports glasses so no crazy base curve) to be edged in my lab which ended up being sent back to the surfacing lab. We wanted the surfacing lab to mark up the lenses and send them back to us or redo them- either way a colossal waste of time.

We tried removing the filter of our PAL ID and unfortunately it hasn't helped. Anyone else have a solution?
    Was it a Physio Enhanced /360?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Try viewing under a polariscope

Thread Information