Thread: Great Glasses 3 for 1 in BC?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Glasses 3 for 1 in BC?

First of all, this is my first post on OB, but I have been sneaking around as a guest for a couple years, love this site.
    I live in Chilliwack, BC. its just outside Vancouver. I was driving around town and I noticed a sign up and then did some investigating and a new store under the name of Great Glasses 3 for 1 is opening up. It seems to be part of the same chain out of Ontario where the owner was put in jail but I'm not certain... There was a website posted, www.greatglasses.ca, but no site is actually up under the name. So I figured why not ask the ones that always seem to be in the know, you guys.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome I am new too. Unfortunately a licence is not required to dispense glasses in BC. They may have found a new nest. I have come to respect Chris Rysers research on things. Maybe he will have time to post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-27-2012 at 12:32 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah the ability to dispense w/o a license has a been a fun one for the last couple years... And I was just asking because I would like to know who's coming to town, who I will be up against. Thanks again.
    Last edited by thelittlestnixon; 07-11-2015 at 01:19 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You read it first on Optiboard...................3 for 1 is moving into your neck of the woods. B.C. Bergez said so on the Merketplace program, on Saturday, and it now appears on the web page.

This spring, as soon as that court-ordered ankle bracelet is removed from the missus, and school's out................the whole fam-damily will descend on Chilliwack, and really get them senioors and displaced Canadians a taste of franchise freedom.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    How can a guy that owes 17 million dollars move across the country and open a business???

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    How can a guy that owes 17 million dollars move across the country and open a business???
    He's on the run and nobody is chasing to collect - don't worry, we will all be footing the bill on this one.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Maybe he figures that he can come to BC and make some "green" to pay off his debts. Maybe the next franchise will be "Great Grasses"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-27-2012 at 12:33 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Update: website is actually www.greatglassesbc.com, and it is officially open, with sight testing and all. No word yet if he has anyone licensed on site to do the testing, at least that's a protected aspect of opticianry here.
    Jonathan

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by thelittlestnixon View Post
    Update: website is actually www.greatglassesbc.com, and it is officially open, with sight testing and all. No word yet if he has anyone licensed on site to do the testing, at least that's a protected aspect of opticianry here.

I would not be so sure about that so called "protection" , have you read the wording of your revised Act ? Your College has been wrong before and lost in court, about what is and is not allowed . You may be in for a rude awakening.

Your original Act was written by people who thought they were protecting opticians for contact lens dispensing but they only wrote it from one point of view and because of that they lost. The wording would not hold up from a point of view that they never anticipated. By sending in your renewal fees every year you kept buying into the "protection lie", without ever examing the goods yourself.

Now your present Act was written by a Health Minister hell bent on NOT protecting you but rather giving the reins over to unlicensed people, so by what magic do you even remotely have any faith in your present College or present Act protecting you for refractions ?
    Last edited by idispense; 03-04-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Surely you do remember , after appeals , that some BC judges relented and ruled partially in favor of your College .... but have you forgotten that your dear Health Minister OVERRODE those provincial judges as well as rewrote the Opticianry Act in favor of the non- licensed and untrained ?

So do you really think Mr. Minister of Health was looking out for your future in the rewrite ? You do remember that that particular Minister of Health was previously the Minister of Deregulation ? Do you understand the significance ?

Have you ever read your new Act ?
    Last edited by idispense; 03-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why is it that you think your College Act and Kevin Falcon are looking out for you and protecting you ? How has that been working out for you so far ?

Last edited by idispense; 03-04-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And if you go to the College of Ontario web site you will find a press release on their home page in response to the CBC program . That press release says internet dispensing is illegal in Ontario .

Well now if it is illegal like they declare then why is it that you can hop into a cab in downtown Toronto outside the College offices and enjoy Coastal's CCTV ads in the back of the cab ?

Who can point to a single case that The COO has won against an online unauthorized vendor ?

Oh I am sorry , who can point to a single case of the College of Opticians of Ontario even prosecuting an online unauthorized vendor ?

Well I wonder what the hold up is to that, if as they say, internet dispensing is illegal in Ontario ? Maybe 3, 4 , 5 , 6 , 10 years is not enough time to process the paperwork ?

There must be a good reason why they issued a PRESS RELEASE but have not done anything that we can see ? There must be a good reason why there are so many of them operating in Ontario . I see the ads in the Cabs , on TV all over my Ontario Internet and they have been running for years .

Could it be that the PRESS RELEASE does not mean anything ?

Maybe the PRESS RELEASE was a typo maybe they really meant to say Internet dispensing is legal ... it must be legal because otherwise they would be in court ... yes ? no ? It is all over TV hmmmm must be that COO is wrong ..... after all their BC counterpart says "Online purchasing has made its way into virtually every aspect of life. In many cases, shopping on the Internet is easy and convenient and provides a quality, reliable service." ...... "The attraction of buying prescription eyewear over the Internet is that it may be faster or cheaper than visiting an optical store."

I am just so confused !!!

Let's go look at the Ontario Opticians web site maybe they have a press release that would clear up things .......OMG .... it is illegal but , but if it is illegal why are they "analysing trends " ??? it is illegal , they said so , so what is there to analyse ?

Just shut em down ..... analysing trends ? WTF ?

How is it illegal but you are analysing the trend ?

That does not sound quite the same as illegal so we shut ' em down .
    Last edited by idispense; 03-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Thread Information