Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you do it the same all over again?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Would you do it the same all over again?

The thread about going to Optometry school below got me thinking about this. How many of us would choose the same path now,(OD's and opticians) knowing what we know about this biz. I look back, and see many of my high school friends, they never went to college, took the "s####y jobs", worked fewer hours than me, no nights, no weekends, and now are retired with full benefits and a nice pension in their 50's. I was once told in college that I would never get rich doing this, but I also would never be unemployed. That statement has held true for 37 years. I am fortunate, I entered this when it was a true profession, and have managed to do pretty well, and continue to do so.

If I was 30 years younger, and saw where we are today, I really think I would run like a scared dog. For the Docs, 100k in debt to make what? Pharmacists in my area pull down about 135K on less education, and the Od's nemesis, the dentists, pull down way more than that here, on 4 days. For opticians, working retail hours for 35-40K, is it really worth it? No pension, no health insurance, no job security, just sell GLASSES!

Not trying to start a battle, but I can only presume that a lot of us, with 20 plus years, some even less, might choose a different path today.

As Barry would say, thoughts, discussion?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I was just saying the other day that I'd rather have stayed in engineering school. I'm happy for the friends I've made, but to do it over, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't choose opticianry again. I would've chosen a much more lucrative profession with high promotion potential.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I started out, I was on the road to Optometry. I got halfway through my Junior year of college (which was considered Pre-Optometry, and was basically a four-year program of nothing that had to do with Optometry). I'd worked for doctors (almost) the whole time, and then decided I didn't want to be the doctor. I was loving Opticianry, and that was conveniently around the time I got married. I've taken a few classes since then, but I never finished college (I do kind of regret that, but only for the sake of being able to say I graduated). Between my husband's salary and mine, we've been okay, and I couldn't imagine our lives being any different than what it is now.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticianry is my change of career. I went to school because unemployed engineers kept outbidding me on tech writing jobs. Also for the medical benefits, which are excellent. And no, I wouldn't do anything differently. When I have a really great dispense, I write it down in my journal. When I have a hellish customer, revisiting a great dispense helps a lot.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I was just saying the other day that I'd rather have stayed in engineering school.
    Trust me. The grass is no greener in engineering.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nope. Maybe went into retail instead of wholesale. Maybe.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I knew what I know now a lot of things would be different. I don't regret what I have done which is to make a pretty good career from scratch and moxie but if I were 20 years old again I would keep my butt in school and earn a degree.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All things being equal (economy, opportunity, etc...) I would have chosen the same field, but I wouldn't have been as hesitant in the beginning.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Also for the medical benefits, which are excellent
    Just wondering who you work for. I have been associated with Omd's for the last 15 years, and they are the worst with providing healthcare benefits, pay very well, but could care less about your healthcare.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Just wondering who you work for. I have been associated with Omd's for the last 15 years, and they are the worst with providing healthcare benefits, pay very well, but could care less about your healthcare.
    Warehouse retail in the same state as you :) I worked for an opthalmologist for two months. The benefits there were even better but you had to survive the place for three months to get them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ready for something new

I would have done it the same. Ive been in the business 12 years and I'm learing I need now to branch out at other avenues. I am a dispensing Optician and have just about reached a point it is no longer challenging. I am now on to hopefully something different like frame sales. Being in an office is beginning to get to me, and the outdoors is calling =)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not hear anyone say they would control their own destiny the next time around? I am self employed and can succeed in any business environment as long as I am passionate and understand my markets. The folks who make it; took chances with their own money and MADE IT HAPPEN!

The profession makes no difference if your work ethic and attitude is the same. We have many motivated folks on this board, but you need to put yourself in a position to succeed and not count on a degree or someone outside yourself to make it happen.

I am more excited now about my business prospects than I have been in 10 years. We realize that the industry is changing and we want to be the ones to prosper by being different than the rest of the world.

It is all about niche products and SELLING THEM TO FOLKS WHO CAN AFFORD AND APPRECIATE THEM!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in a very good place at this point in my life. I wouldn't be here without the stumbles and mis-steps I've made over the years that propelled me forward. So, no I don't think I'd change a thing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda Marie View Post
    I would have done it the same. Ive been in the business 12 years and I'm learing I need now to branch out at other avenues. I am a dispensing Optician and have just about reached a point it is no longer challenging. I am now on to hopefully something different like frame sales. Being in an office is beginning to get to me, and the outdoors is calling =)
    You are looking for something more challenging and go to frame sales? Good luck with that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticianry is not the only profession that is feels this way. I do a lot of work with physicians, and many do not want their children to become physicians because of all the changes in health care, particularly payment schemes. Back in "they day", as my students say, people came into this field and saw it as a professional career. Now, it is largely Susie homemaker who wants a part-time job and goes from there. In most states there is no requirement to enter the "profession", and that can be changed. Let me tell you folks, I see a brighter future ahead if we only work to better ourselves. We can achieve higher goals and regain much of the former position we held in the optical industry. Craig (above) hit the nail on the head. Take control of your destiny and find your niche. Opticianry is a great career, but we must demand higher standards of those seeking to enther, not continue to dumb it down at the expense of the field. My son and daughter-in-law are in Opticianry school right now, and if I did not feel there were some wonderful days ahead, I would have really discouraged them.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If ophthalmology and opticianry were the same as they were in the '60's, I would still go into opticianry. I would of course make many changes in the way I did things. If Ophthalmology and Opticianry were then as they are now, no way would I go into it. However at this point I am staying in Opticianry until either I can't do it any more or I get out of debt. Earlier in life I had illusions of getting wealthy and doing some phylanthropy, I no longer have such illusions.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I do not hear anyone say they would control their own destiny the next time around? I am self employed and can succeed in any business environment as long as I am passionate and understand my markets. The folks who make it; took chances with their own money and MADE IT HAPPEN
    I said:
    All things being equal (economy, opportunity, etc...) I would have chosen the same field, but I wouldn't have been as hesitant in the beginning.
    Let me re-phrase that:

All things being equal (economy, opportunity, etc...) I would have chosen the same field, and gone into business for myself, but I wouldn't have been as hesitant about going out on my own.

If I did not have the option of working for myself, I would not go into this field. I have many friends that work for companies, as well as MDs and a few that work for ODs. Most are happy, some are thriving, but it is not something I could handle for very long.

I can think of few endeavors as exciting as starting a business from scratch, watching it grow, and then figuring out how to make it do even more, year after year.

It is exciting, but not easy. The first 4 years I was in business, I drove taxi before and after work to make ends meet. I bought a duplex to live in so my tenant could pay my mortgage. I started a wholesale frame company so I could buy in bulk... I scraped and saved, and scraped some more. During that time, although it was often a struggle, I never wished that I worked for someone else.

However, I don't think that you have to be self-employed to control your own destiny. The only way you can control your own destiny is to educate yourself as much as possible (both formally, and otherwise), expand your skill set to be the best in your trade, and network whenever, and wherever possible. When you are at the top of your game, employers will seek you out, and if you are self employed, customers will seek you out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda Marie View Post
    Welcome to Optiboard Lucinda! I got burned out after 12 years of dispensing too. Being a rep is a natural progression, hope you do well!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I love the field of Optical, and could not imagine being in any other. I have worked in many fields in business.. but the best people in the world are in Optical.

However, if I had it to do over I would have to consider Optometry. Some of the ODs here pull down $250K a year, one I know makes $150K and works only 3 days a week. With Optometry, you have great opportunities to move into adjacent fields, even frame design and manufacturing, but especially teaching or consulting. Your options are limitless really.

An alternative would be to have become a Mechanical Engineer for Progressive lens development or the making of Free-form Machinery. I have the mind of an engineer, just terrible math skills though.

The hard part is the relatively low pay... I have been offered 2X more to start in other fields than I make after 16 years in Optical. I make enough though, and I am grateful to work among such good people.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Earlier in life I had illusions of getting wealthy and doing some phylanthropy, I no longer have such illusions.
    Chip
    Yea.... no illusions here anymore either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I am more excited now about my business prospects than I have been in 10 years. We realize that the industry is changing and we want to be the ones to prosper by being different than the rest of the world.
    Great Attitude Craig!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    You are looking for something more challenging and go to frame sales? Good luck with that.
    Wow William, you don't have much respect for frame reps do ya? I think being a frame rep is a great challenge, and a good migration for a dispenser. We need more reps with dispensing experience. Lucinda, its a great way to go.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Wow William, you don't have much respect for frame reps do ya? I think being a frame rep is a great challenge, and a good migration for a dispenser. We need more reps with dispensing experience. Lucinda, its a great way to go.
    I can't think of anything more challenging than being a sales rep, but maybe not in the way that Lucinda Marie meant it. Shrinking markets, increased competition, fewer independents to sell to...what could be more challenging than that?

If you are good at selling, you can sell anything. Why sell frames? Why not automated logging systems for truck drivers? Why not dry mix for ice cream makers? Why not airtime for Clear Channel? Those might be less challenging, but more profitable.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    William? Wow, maybe frame sales would be good for you, but not for me. I personally see Opticianry as a tremendous challenge, far above that of selling frames. Obviously you disagree.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=sharpstick777;411877]Wow William, QUOTE]

Psssst! His name is Warren.

Thread Information