Good replacement for Varilux Panamic polarized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good replacement for Varilux Panamic polarized

I have a patient that has been wearing a Panamic Polarized for years. When he ordered his new pair in Nov. I fit him with a Panamic Polarized, he hated it. Then we tried the Kodak Precise. That's a no go as well. He says that intermediate is too sort and narrow. Can someone please help me find a comparable lens to the polarized Panamic, in plastic.

I refit him with Physio not Panamic
    Last edited by colleen26; 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM.

Just about any lens will be better!

Seiko Surmount
    Digital "G"
    Hoya Lifestyle ID
    Zeiss Individual

Comment

Probably his problem is the much higher add which smaller and shorter intermediate, if that is the case you can give em anything and it will basically be the same.

Comment

He has already kicked on the Physio and the Kodak Precise. Each for different reasons.
        1. Physio was more peripheral distortion than Panamic
        2. Precise has no intermediate and limited reading

Now I have to redo and I am at somewhat of a loss

Comment

Look at the fit of his first Panamic. Look at the seg, PA, Wrap/Face form. Has the rx changed very much? We need this info to help you.

Comment

It's pretty much the same frame with the same amount of face form, panto, seg height. RX has changed by .50 give or take. He now wears 1/2 diopter of prism base out OU. He has worn prism in the past so I really don't think that's what it is as he doen't have the typical prism complaint.

Comment

Isn't the Ovation very similar to the Panamic? Not exact but similar?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
                Probably his problem is the much higher add which smaller and shorter intermediate, if that is the case you can give em anything and it will basically be the same.
                +1

How much add change from old to new?

I often tell this kind of patient that he has "new pair of shoes syndrome" because nothing fits like an old pair of shoes. If he refuses to accept that nothing you do will produce the same feeling he is so used to and he is not willing to wear them for an extended period of time (this being complicated in that the sunglasses are not worn often) you may have to tell him there's not much more you can do.

I try to forewarn these patients that the lens design, new rx, and new frame if applicable are going to more than likely produce a new feeling that may take months to get used to.

Take some comfort in that you're not alone in this boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post
                  Just about any lens will be better!

Seiko Surmount
                  Digital "G"
                  Hoya Lifestyle ID
                  Zeiss Individual
                  You are right, the Panamic sucked, although by the 4th re-release it got OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Happylady View Post
                    Isn't the Ovation very similar to the Panamic? Not exact but similar?
                    Different lenses, but similar difficulties. I thought so too until I looked at the Ray Tracing.

Comment

Try a comfort, it was way better than the improvement, Panmic

Comment

How about Shamir Autograph 2 fixed 18 to give you a deeper and wider intermediate?

Comment

I've had terrible luck with Hoya. Optics are not good. Especially Lifestyle products.

Comment

I'd go with the Surmount as well. I wear it and I'm a hyperope with at +2.50 add.

Comment

I've taken a few of the Panamic patients to the New Comfort without any issues or redo's.

Comment

Working...
                              X