Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wiley X... Opinions?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well...

Here I go again. I'm thinking it, so I might as well say it.

Does anyone else see the similarities of Maui Jim and Wiley, in terms of their marketing progression?

Maui Jim was a pretty much no-name entity, and then opticians/ODs/ECPs started walking people to the window, explaining polarization, and began selling $250 sunglasses. Maui Jim was so impressed with the sales that they made enough of them to "discontinue" them to Costoco. So long Maui Jim...

Opticians/ODs/ECPs, looking for a lower end substitute (kind of sub) brought on Wiley, turning them into a player. What's the next "reasonable" step for Wiley? Sure, take them to a mass merchandiser, turning their hard earned brand into the likes of Foster Grant. Yes, I know, they'll say they're not the same styles, but they ARE the same name, and that's all the naive (forgive me but...especially the WM shopper) sees is the name.

Really, really disappointing.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Found this today while looking for a source for radiation blocking rx lenses: http://www.medicalsafetyglasses.com/...ory_Code=WXRAD

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Well...

Here I go again. I'm thinking it, so I might as well say it.

Does anyone else see the similarities of Maui Jim and Wiley, in terms of their marketing progression?

Maui Jim was a pretty much no-name entity, and then opticians/ODs/ECPs started walking people to the window, explaining polarization, and began selling $250 sunglasses. Maui Jim was so impressed with the sales that they made enough of them to "discontinue" them to Costoco. So long Maui Jim...

Opticians/ODs/ECPs, looking for a lower end substitute (kind of sub) brought on Wiley, turning them into a player. What's the next "reasonable" step for Wiley? Sure, take them to a mass merchandiser, turning their hard earned brand into the likes of Foster Grant. Yes, I know, they'll say they're not the same styles, but they ARE the same name, and that's all the naive (forgive me but...especially the WM shopper) sees is the name.

Really, really disappointing.
    Yup Smokey, you got that right!
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If I can add a few things, even though we don't sell eyewear. 1.) They are starting to make products in the USA.. strong consumer trend 2.) They support veterans, support breast cancer research and a few other social good programs. . plus nice people.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone notice that this frame appearently has "arms"? Didn't see any reference to "legs" though.
    Odd a mfg. and a "Medical" optical doesn't know about temples.

Now on the other side of the coin, I sell and like Wiley X, although I agree with most of what is said here.

chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just heard they got the license for Harley Davidson frames away from Viva.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We hadn't heard of them until earlier this year when a patient requested the line by name. We took in a limited order to show him and had sold it out within a week; the brand is apparently catching on in the area as we get requests from them by patients who are either current wearers or were referred by friends who are weares. They should be a permanent fixture for us before the end of the year. So far, everyone has been completely pleased. My only gripe is that the person we've been dealing with at their office has latched on to one member of our staff and refuses to speak to anyone except for her; she won't even leave a message with anyone else, and has hung up on other people before if this particular optician wasn't in the office at that exact moment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    We hadn't heard of them until earlier this year when a patient requested the line by name. We took in a limited order to show him and had sold it out within a week; the brand is apparently catching on in the area as we get requests from them by patients who are either current wearers or were referred by friends who are weares. They should be a permanent fixture for us before the end of the year. So far, everyone has been completely pleased. My only gripe is that the person we've been dealing with at their office has latched on to one member of our staff and refuses to speak to anyone except for her; she won't even leave a message with anyone else, and has hung up on other people before if this particular optician wasn't in the office at that exact moment.
    wow who's your rep???? Ours prefers to speak to the person who originally set it up, but she knows to definitely at least talk to or leave a message with us if she has a question. definitely call them about that, because usually their CS is pretty stellar :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wiley X created two new lines called DVX and Aversion selling at Wal-Mart. Also got the license for Harley Davidson. They will manufacture same exact frames they currently have on the market with HD logo on the temples to be sold at Harley Davidson stores. HD will also put prescription into the frames through Wiley X.

Thread Information