Thread: Shame on you, Americans!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Shame on you, Americans!

I was watching TV today, and the end of the USA-Portugal match was on. The USA had won, and they were all leaping about like fools. The commentator said they'd done really well, and deserved to celebrate as if they'd won the cup. But then he said that no-one back home will care. And I have logged on, and not one of you Americans has even mentioned it. So I am adopting them. New kits are on the way out to them as we speak. They will be known as MariaUnited, and I will still be nice to them, even when they lose every single other match, as they inevitably will. :)

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Maria

What sport are you talking about?

Just Kidding!

Baseball, American Football, Hockey, Basketball, Golf, Nascar, and some tennis!

I'm a huge sports fan but I just can't get into soccer. They had the first soccer game in the new stadium in Foxboro(Home of the NFL Champ Pat). It was the first event held there. They had 20,000 spectators and most of them were at the game just to see the stadium. Most of the crowd was gone by the half.

How many Superbowl parties to you have on that side of the pond?

Michael

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

Mikef said:
    How many Superbowl parties to you have on that side of the pond?
    You have parties for the big cornflakes bowls ???

Maria thak a look at the world cup thread..A couple nay read Pete did try to watch but forgot.....
    Did they go coz it was a bad game or what....Fancy paying good money then walking out half way through...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

While I do not follow soccer regularly...

While I do not follow soccer regularly, it may interest you to know that even on Cape Cod it is covered in the press.This AM's Cape Cod Times sport section featured an article that described Irelan's Robbie Keane's( May have gotten the name wrong)last minute goal to tie with Germany.Coincidently, the front page of this mornings NY Times ("All the news fit to Print") featured an article on the American soccer team and their upcoming match with Korea.

I plead guilty to finding the game somewhat boring to watch.Pele` was the exception to that, he was incredible,but back and forth for an hour to end in a tie is not considered very entertaining in these parts.A tie is a tie, is a tie, is a like date with your sister as some of my countrymen say.

Each to his own entertainment.

harry j

Maria, in the words of one of the Bartel brothers...Thank you for your support!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

SOCCER

Maria,
    I did mention the match (which I arose for at 4:55AM EST). I have coached high school soccer and club soccer for many years, and currently have 2 state high school championships and 18 players on scholarship at a number of colleges including the national collegiate champs UNC. Let me assure you that soccer is alive and well, and crowds are growing at matches all across America. It is a beautiful game and once one learns the ins and outs, it is extremely exciting to watch. The USA Womens team did a great deal for the sport in the US as did our super win over Portugal yesterday. Don't count us out- we have a potent offense, but admittedly a bit weak in the back. I hope we continue to shine and do well. I wish you all good luck in the Cup.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Soccer is a great game your kids play till their old enough to play REAL sports........like pub darts!:bbg:

My guess it will be atleast one more generation or so until we in the US of A have any real interest in the 'game of the masses'.

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: SOCCER

wmcdonald said:
    Maria,
    I did mention the match (which I arose for at 4:55AM EST). I have coached high school soccer and club soccer for many years, and currently have 2 state high school championships and 18 players on scholarship at a number of colleges including the national collegiate champs UNC. Let me assure you that soccer is alive and well, and crowds are growing at matches all across America. It is a beautiful game and once one learns the ins and outs, it is extremely exciting to watch. The USA Womens team did a great deal for the sport in the US as did our super win over Portugal yesterday. Don't count us out- we have a potent offense, but admittedly a bit weak in the back. I hope we continue to shine and do well. I wish you all good luck in the Cup.
    Well said warren!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A cynic would suggest that, if the USA got through to the final, the whole country would be behind them. A cynic would say Americans don't like football 'cos they don't win. Thank Heavens I'm not cynical :)

And Mike - we go as as many Superbowl parties as we have American Football teams.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    You yanks should be more like us Brits and...
    [glow]:drop: Sing when you are winning... :drop: [/glow]
    Now you know why we are such a quite nation....We never have owt to sing about...

Occupation
    John R said:
    Now you know why we are such a quite nation....We never have owt to sing about...
    You did have Torville and Dean! Granted that it's been a while, but they were perfection on ice. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation

Take the Irish view

John R said:
    You yanks should be more like us Brits and...
    [glow]:drop: Sing when you are winning... :drop: [/glow]

Loose the head with joy when you draw with Germany!

Thread Information