Thread: I need help with my Santinelli edger

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

I need help with my Santinelli edger

I think I made a mistake. I purchased a refurbished Santinelli 9000sx from a group that came recommended from someone on this forum. I check references and they were all good. I now have an edger that is less than 5 months old with a broken tracer and the company that I purchased it from will not even return my phone calls or emails. My mistake, now I just need to get this problem resolved and move on. The odd thing about this whole thing is that the edger is refurbished, but the tracer is brand new from Santinelli. When I first recieved the edger the tracer was not working, the company that we purchased it from sent us a new tracer (which was great), I installed it, it worked fine for 5 months and now it is broken. It will trace rimmed frames without a hitch, but any rimless frames it makes a grinding noise and we get an error. The kicker is since I installed the tracer and not Santinelli they will not warranty it. Since the company I purchased it from does not seem to want to help me, I called Santinelli directly. They were helpfull, but they want a ton of cash to send me a refurbed tracer and I give them the one I have. This is what I may have to do, but I was hoping someone on this forum can help me out or know another place where I could get this thing fixed at a more resonable price. Any suggestions would be helpful.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My recommendation would be to take a very careful look at your tracer. Open it up and look for any loose connections or any thing that doesn't look right. I did this with the same tracer and found a loose wire. Call some of your local labs, usually you can find some that has a talent of repairing equipment. Good luck!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hello Dr.,

I think I know who you are, and I can probably help. Why don't you give me a call when you can.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A Santinelli 9000 is OMA compliant, if you have visual lab pro or other lab software you can buy a tracer relatively cheap (Optronics 4t) and connect it to your software which in turn communicates to the 9000.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If this is an election then I vote you open it up and take a peek inside. Grinding noises sounds like something of a mechanical nature. Perhaps if you opened it up and posted pictures someone might recognize something wrong ?

Thread Information