Thread: Help! I'm burning out....

Unhappy Help! I'm burning out....

I'm just wondering how everyone else handles this problem....I've been an optician/manager for a total of about 12 years...I left the field briefly a few times but always managed to get sucked back in because it's what I know, it's what I'm comfortable with, and honestly, it's because I like what I do. But after this last stretch of about 5 years at the same place, I'm becoming really burnt out on this job. When it comes right down to it, I really do enjoy what I do. My employer offers great benefits and pays well, the hours aren't as bad as other places I've worked in the past, and I realize that it really could be a whole lot worse....but my main problem is that I'm just tired of dealing with the public. It's the same stories day after day (you all know what I'm talking about) and it's getting so that I actually dread seeing paying customers walk in the door. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope? I hate the idea of getting out...but I'm wondering if I should start thinking about it. My job can be so rewarding and so interesting and so much fun at times, and I'm having a hard time remembering that lately. Any suggestions? Any stories about how you overcame this? I'd really appreciate anything anyone could offer here....thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laura,
    I've been in this business for almost 30 years. I've owned my own independent practice for the last 4 and I can understand where you're coming from.

My solution was to find a second "love". About a year and a half ago I began training in Shotokan Karate. I train 3 to 4 evenings a week. It requires that I clear my mind of everything except training for those hours. It's demanding physically and mentally and has proven to be the perfect antidote for the stress of being responsible for everything from the minute I open the door at 9:30 until I open it again the next day at 9:30.

Try something you've never tried before. You never know what will work for you!

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Judy, what a nice answer, are you still sewing your dresses too? You're a very talented lady!

Laura, like Judy, I've been doing this a looonggg time! My brother told me years ago that some folks live to work and some folks work to live...some truth to that...Will Rodgers said that to be successful you need to know what you're doing, like what you're doing and believe what you're doing...I think to truly be happy in our line of service is to believe that it is a service, one that requires our special training, acquired skills, and dedication to helping others see their very best, i'd be pretty burned out too, if it was just another job, just selling folks stuff, figuring out my commission, sacrificing family time to be open evenings and weekends. dealing with the public is a joy, people are marvelous, we work in a wonderful field, each day presents for challenges and opportunities to help people, and the vendor side keeps finding new ways to provide better lens designs, better frame designs. when I started in '65, you had glass lenes and cat eyes, and the buddy holly look, ya want black or tortoise, everything looked like safety frames. man, have we come a long way! when I go to the supermarket, to the mall, to church, I see all these folks wearing old, misfit glasses, gives me hope they'll find out shop and come in and get some great glasses, and i'm so thankful folks don't come up to me in those places and chastise me for selling them that junk. so, burnout happens, I think , when you lose sight of your importance in the scheme of things. it's not a sale, its an opportunity to be of service, what the pt gets is not important, so long as it fulfills there best vision, and lifestyle needs, some of which are how the look in their glasses and how comfortably they are fit. Judy's right too, it is also important to have a higher purpose in life, like knowing that this isn't all there is, this work and this life; if you let it, you can form many client relationships that will endure. sounds like you're in a good shop, relax, be a friend , be a servant to your clientele, while still honoring your employer. And a lot of stress has nothing to do with the work, but your non-work time activity. hope this helps...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps you are just depressed. Seriously, maybe see a Doctor. Medication is not always the answer, but sometimes it is. I say this because I know of a dispensing optician that said basically the same thing you are. This guy saw a shrink, got medication and now enjoys his work and his life much better. Just a suggestion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :idea: If you enjoy the field you are working in, why not think about becoming a trainer. That way you can put all your experience aand knowledge to good use and still enjoy your work without dealing with the customers.
    From your post, sounds like you've had the week from hell, could be a case for a huuuge box of chocolates!:D
    Hope you find a solution soon.

Wow..this is like free therapy! Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions and/or words of encouragement. It really does help to talk to people who truly understand exactly how I'm feeling. You all make so much sense! And Sarahr makes a great point regarding becoming a trainer...lately I have noticed that I do enjoy the administrative part of my job so much more. (Because I'm just not sure that I can answer the question "How much are glasses?" another 32 million times.....) I'm already feeling encouraged....thanks again :)

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Laura, I know exactly how you feel. I have been looking into college courses to get out of this profession as well. While I too LOVE the work the area I live in there isn't much call for a licensed optician. I also do ophthalmic assisting(not certified even though I am being pressured to do so) Not much call for that either. I am just so tired of being pulled from optical to the back from the back back to optical....etc etc... my thoughts are they aren't going to hire someone so long as they have one person who can do everything in there. What they don't understand is how tired I am. They are completely wasting me away. My work duties have gone up but not my pay. I just can't help feeling there must be more to life than this. I love talking and working with the pts but there is no time. I feel like we are just pumping them out. It is hard to feel good about what you do for a living when you can't pay your bills. I understand I accepted what they were willing to pay but there are so many out of work opticians around here that you almost have to take it or you will be the out of work optician. I hate to think I have spent so many years and so much time working towards my career to give it up, but by the same respect I can't keep doing a job where I am being pulled in so many directions without compensation. Our office hit a record sales this month and I had to put groceries on a credit card this month. That doesn't do much for your self esteem. I could actually give up my license and save a bunch of money go wait tables and do about the same as I am now. I hope you find what it is you want to do. I am always sorry to hear when someone is feeling the same as I am. I hope you don't feel it to the same extent that I do. I guess I would probably feel a lot better if I could just sell my house and move where my career was a little more needed and I could make a little more money. I didn't get in this business with the idea I was going to get rich but I did think I was going to be living a little better and be a little bit more respected because of it. I guess I expected too much.

I wish you lots of luck Laura.

Steph

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

Laura W. said:
    Wow..this is like free therapy!
    Welcome to the board, glad you have found some soliace in what been said ;)
    If lifes getting you down, Take a break for a couple of weeks to recharge the battries.

One plus you have found is the great reasource here, we are all willing to help :) Just keep posting and you will find this a great outlet for getting rid of the blues...
    Dont forget for a total get out of optics just visit HERE ...:D

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We've all been there at one time or another

We keep coming back for more, mainly for the same reasons you did.Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote:

"Happiness is as a butterfly which when pursued is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly may alight upon
    you."

All of the advice in this thread is valuable.The best advice I found was in the Texas Ranger's post. He said....."relax, be a friend".......When you do that, you will find that everything will fall into place.

best from harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for asking, Tex. I sure am still sewing, otherwise I'd need even more time at the dojo. My daughter is leaving for her internship in Los Angeles on Monday and we're sewing like mad to complete her wardrobe!
    See you in Atlanta?

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Laura,

If it's any consolation, your statement "(Because I'm just not sure that I can answer the question "How much are glasses?" another 32 million times.....)" is one that we all feel and hear on a regular basis. It's what you do with it that counts though. When I have people call up and ask that question I like to say "Okay. I'll play your silly game. How much are glasses?" or "Hmm. That's a good question and one I'll answer with a question. How much is a car?" When they ask which one I say "Exactly!" :)

I also like "How much are your contacts?" and I always answer "Which kind do you need?" They can rarely answer that one, but sometimes they will say something like "How many different ones are there?" and I'll say "Oh, about 200 different kinds and I couldn't even begin to tell you how many different variations of said contacts there are." I like to toy with people.

Yup. Been there done that. And like the prune juice ad says "This too will pass." :)

Take care, keep your chin up and let it roll off like water. Lifes too short to sweat the small sh**. :)

Darris C.

PS. Remember: Your job isn't your life so don't let it drag you down.

Smilie

Judy, Praise God that your daughter has made so much progress! I know you'll miss her dearly...you just have to trust!
    Laura, I do sincerely hope that we have helped some, I am always amazed at how greatly opticians are taken advantage of, even when you have the experience, and Stephanie, same thing; It is highly irritating to see people who come into the field want to learn, love helping folks see better, are willing to work are, are dependable, and dedicated, only to be unappreciated as they gain more knowledge, develop more skills,and help a practice'shop grow, making the dr./boss/corporation more money. I am truly amazed more of you aren't burned to the wick! On average, school teachers make twice as much money, but should that be? Now, if your an "optician" who knows zip, nada about anything besides the work order form and how to file an insurance claim, I think you should find another line of work; but if you have opticianry skill, can evaluate rxs, properly fit eyewear, and deal with the eyewear consumer, you deserve better. so, you don't have to have a 4 yr. degree to be an optician, teacher require it, that doesn't mean you're 50% as valuable, does it, unless you're passing along suspect craftsmanship to unsuspecting consumers. folks are pretty confused these days, one ad says two pair for $99, my two pair is average $700. but they're not nearly the same glasses... Well, people asks "how much are glasse?", I say, "they're waaayy too expensive." "but there is a lot more involved in the glasses than just the cost of the frame and lenses, but every shop has "overhead"; we could waste money sending out coupons telling you what a great deal we have for you, but when all is said and done, you can't afford that waste of money..." We all have bad days, clients with bad attitudes, vendor problems, lab problems' other fields have similar deals, think it's less stressful in a field when you have the knowledge of the career to support you, don't go start at the bottom somewhere else, but look for someone who will appreciate you work, to work for...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Laura

As you can see, most of us have been there. Besides the usual "how much" we also get "Why do I need an exam? I know I'm 20/60."

"My doctor said that because of the curve of my eye I can only use the brand of progressives he sells"

Today I learned that the lab lost a frame (mine). A patient informed me that a competitor advised him the reason he can't see well through his new lenses is that the frame is the wrong style.

Why don't I get out of this frustrating job?

Because it's the best work I've ever done, and almost every day
    someone says "Thank you, this is wonderful."

To stay fed I work.

To stay (relatively) sane I have fencing for physical activity, acting for mental activity and a comfortable couch for vegetating.

After 17 years I'm still glad I didn't quit the 3000 times I threatened to.

Hang in and best of luck.
    Dan

Bad address email on file Di822's Avatar

optical burnout

To Laura and Stephanie.....

I too, have gone through this. I realized it one day when I said out loud, "I hate people!" and "I especially hate people with eyes". I was dead serious. I had never felt that way before.
    After you go through so many years of not being appreciated for giving your heart and soul to the company, it begins to no longer make any sense.

I was told that insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. That was where I was. I had to stop the insanity. So, I took a sabbatical. I gave the Dr. a 30 day notice and left on good terms. He hasn't spoken to me since. I am finally free from the bondage I had been in with him for 10 years. My biggest regret now is that I waisted the best years of my youth and ruined my health working for him.

The good news is that I took 10 months off before I even started looking for a job. A terrific job just dropped in my lap. I am now working 1 (one) minute from my home for an Optometrist who opened a new place in our town. Going to work is exciting once again. It is so good to see the old friends (patients from the other Dr.)and they are thrilled to have found me.

Try taking some time off........... you won't even miss the money. It cost a lot less to stay home. There will always be another job.
    You are both great at what you do, and there are plenty of people out there who need you and would consider you a blessing to their practice. Help is everywhere, but good help is hard to find.

Good Luck! Di

Smilie

Di..Hey, I missed you! glad to see your post, glad you got away from it. glad you found a good position...that was good, sound advice.. sometimes, it's myopic(an optical term meaning that we only see what's closest to us). So, we need so see our situation from different paridigms, step back, see where we fit in, see where we're going with all our efforts. in all of our endeavors, our greatest need is for appreciation, our greatest fear is of rejection; if we feel rejected all the time, we'll get burnt out, if we're appreciated, we'll go through walls...it's a mirror effect..

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darris,

At least I'm ont the only optician that gives smart-*** answers to stupid questions. When they ask "how much are glasses/contacts/repairs...I say "How much do you have ? No really, empty out your purse, I'll take everything but enough for gas to get home. Hey! I've got a family to feed as well!"

Laura,

As for burnout...take a break and come back to it. It's worked for you in the past.

Johns

Too late....after all your words of wisdom I have decided to chuck it all and move to Oklahoma to become a rodeo queen. Then again, I'd just have to answer "How much are those glittery chaps?" about a thousand times a day, so maybe I better rethink this whole thing....(sorry...had a financial audit the last 2 days and I'm completely loopy now...got a perfect score though!)

Ya know....a few months ago I fit a little girl with a developmental disorder with her first pair of glasses, and she cried and screamed and through a hell of a fit when I put them on her....and today her mom brought her in for an adjustment, and she cried and screamed and through a hell of a fit when I took them OFF...and smiled the sweetest smile I've ever seen when I gave them back all shiny and new. Maybe that's why I'll stay a while longer....as long as every now and again I can go into the back office and break something ;)

Sheesh...

...did I just say "THROUGH a hell of a fit"? I meant "Throo", obviously.... :)

Smilie

think it's THREW ? but communication is getting the message THROUGH to someone else, and you did that fine! Maybe you could just Rodeo on the side? In Fort Worth, you can go to Billy Bob's and ride the mechanical bull.....and be careful what you strike in the back room!

I keep forgetting that my sarcasm doesn't translate as well THROUGH the written word ;)

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: We've all been there at one time or another

hcjilson said:
    He said....."relax, be a friend".......When you do that, you will find that everything will fall into place.

best from harry j

:bbg: :bbg: :) Now I get you;)

Regards, Ian

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, I had the great thrill of throwing some old guy out of my office today becacue he was rude to one of my OTHER customers....it that FLORIDA sense of entitlement that old people have..........

Bottom line.....if you have been in this business for a long time, you see people for the....well, let's say your ability to suffer fools gladly greatly wanes.

I spent 7 years of the last decade as a shop man because I couldn't stand the stupidity of the patients, doctors and other opticians.....I STILL CAN'T, but you learn to let stuff slide off your back.

Bad address email on file

Thumbs up

you definitely need some down-time for yourself. Get away for a couple of days or weeks! During my last CE weekend, I took a break from the classes and got a massage and facial. What a difference in the rest of the weekend it made!
    I have been in the biz for 17 years at the same place. Countless times I have felt like leaving, but I never do. I can't make up my mind what I would do instead. I have imagined a coffeehouse, a yarn shop, a bakery, you get the idea. Maybe someday I'll decide and do it! Until then, it's :hammer: back to the dispensary!

Redhot Jumper

Hi Laura,
    Burnout is not that unusual in any job. You sound like you need a vacation! Try envolving yourself in more outside activies and not discussing work outside the office for a while. This might give you more time away from work. My wife is a preschool teacher and if you want to talk about burnout try talking shop with someone who has changed 60 diapers that day. That even more stuff then we have to handle.
    Good luck!
    Tom

Confused burned out....

Well, I can honestly tell you guys that it happens to all of us. For the longest time I worked out which seemed to help. Then, it was like a vicous cycle, I fell out of it cause this career that I spent soo much time training for and educating myself to get my license sucked me back into the stress mode. Patients screaming that they can get glasses and contacts cheaper....being broke by the end of a pay period...bosses on your back for wanting you to be at 3 different places at once, teching and optical and no compensation for anything...no commision or benefits. Now, granted it's a new practice and I feel that all this is for nothing. Watching the doctor's take trips the islands and whatnot really get's my goat and not even thinking about compensation. I truely get tons of gratification out of dispensing a pair of glasses and the patient smiling and telling you how much they appreciate your time. I can't wait till the day comes when we opticians are soo much more appreciated and doctors are willing to compensate us in whatever way. I tell you all, everday is a new day and things could be soo different. I love my job and don't want to leave but always come to the realization that I don't want to throw this all away for somethink that may be around the corner.

Thread Information