Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VEE - Does anybody care?

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How I wish I was going. I've been to VEE twice, the last time was about 7 years ago. Now, due to recent circumstances, my chances of going back have been sent back to zero%. I know everyone says that VEW is a lot smaller and not always worth it, but I never got to go.

I would pay someone postage to send me a stuffed Hush Puppy from the Kenmark booth.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I havent gone in years but was thinking of going this year. Anyone know a good hotel close to the convention center?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    I would pay someone postage to send me a stuffed Hush Puppy from the Kenmark booth.
    I used to bring those home for my wife. She has about 20 of them.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awww. My collection has integrated with the countless stuffed animal friends my son has accumulated in his short four years. At least they're getting some playtime now.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am catching two flights just to get there,love N.Y.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper never set a foot into VEE and it would make no difference........................

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post

What a convenience, to have all vendors in one place at one time. It is a shame that not all portions of the retail optical industry embrace this concept. It is really rather narrow minded to pooh pooh Vision Expo. Why can't we look at it for what it is......an investment, not an expense.

Harry + Johns.............I have invested 16 times into VEE at an average cost of $ 10,000 for that weekend. This might be peanuts for some, but for me it was a major expense plus the frustration with the unionized services ( If I remember right about 15 different unions).

You go there for the fun and steer right to the booth of the companies you deal with and most often ignore the others. Its the law's of average, the more people you have stopping at a booth the more chances you have to make sale to visitors.

These days I have a very successfull website that gets an average of over 500 visitors every day, 365 days per year. That results into 18,250 visitors a year, and not into 70 to 100 of them on a three day weekend at VEE at a cost of whatever it is.

I could actually fly first class to NY, blow $10,000 on hotels, restaurants and broadway shows, never set a foot into VEE and it would make no difference. I would still get 1500 visitors for the weekend without standing at a booth 8 hours per day for 3 days.

These trade shows are antiquidated and are slowly dyeing out and have maybe one reason left, which is the tax deduction you can take for that particular weekend as visitor. Never forget that you can reach every exhibitor on internet from your armchair at home or the office and learn more details about the products you are interested in than from a salesrep that pushes you for an order at VEE..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

These days I have a very successfull website that gets an average of over 500 visitors every day, 365 days per year. That results into 18,250 visitors a year, and not into 70 to 100 of them on a three day weekend at VEE at a cost of whatever it is.

Chris,

That all sounds very impressive, but how much of that website traffic actually turns into money spent? Traffic is great......if you are a traffic cop, window washer, rose seller, or panhandler! I would rather have 70-100 orders written over 3 days than 18,250 Lookey Lous!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Dead wrong Fezz.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

That all sounds very impressive, but how much of that website traffic actually turns into money spent? Traffic is great......if you are a traffic cop, window washer, rose seller, or panhandler! I would rather have 70-100 orders written over 3 days than 18,250 Lookey Lous!

Dead wrong Fezz.........................We never had 70-100 orders we had that many visitors at VEE and 10 to 15% were sales. For years I advertised in 20/20 magazine 1/4 page for $ 750.00 per month and used to get 20-30 enquiry cards that very seldom translated into sales.

The website brings in a daily stream of enquiries from thse optical and electronic sectors as well as orders from all around the globe and not only from a half circle circomference of 500 miles around NY. I have never seen a fish at VEE.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's the best 3-ring-circus in town! Go for the entertainment value and free pens if nothing else!

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    I'll be there. I'm contract with Skank Eyewear to model tshirts or something like that.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anybody care??? I think the proper question that eyecare professionals should be asking is....

Where are the vendor sponsored parties?????

C'mon people, we've got to eat somewhere, and it might as well be for free, at the expense of the Big Boys marketing budget!!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jherman View Post
    I'll be there. I'm contract with Skank Eyewear to model tshirts or something like that.
    That's a division of Revolution, right?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    That's a division of Revolution, right?
    I think you mean Revulsion.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    So many positive and negative Vision Expo comments. Full disclosure....I work for Vision Expo and I always think it's interesting to hear that we're not doing so well and no one does business. Last year alone (just for our NY show), 15,118 ECPs plus another 6,390 exhibit staffers verified attendance in NYC. Our attendance is audited by a third party. We're ahead of last year's attendance by close to 5% at this time. Plus, the size of the show has grown 20,000 net square feet (that's equal to two hundred 10x10 booths added).

But...what you really want to know about is the parties. Here's a link but I think you should all come to the Vision Expo sponsored "Tweetup Meetup". It's not just for Twitter users. It's so people in the online world can meet face to face. We're hosting it at The Paramount Hotel at 235 West 46th Street b/t 7th and 8th Avenues on Saturday, March 24 from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. http://ive12.mapyourshow.com/5_0/spe...9F5F0A70D119CF

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    I have an idea. Why doesnt some hot shot ,one of us, design a badge that can be printed out and attached to your entry permit. That way ,while we walk around looking at all of the same frames wrapped up in different packaging, we might be able to meet some of the optiborad members in person. YAH YAH YAH.

FEZZ, MAKE ME A SIGN !!!!!!!!!
    Great idea, I have extra sign for my second job, but I would have to block out the "Matress Sale!" on it somehow.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been to VEE and VEW, I'll never go to any vision expos again ever! There's no such thing called customer service at these expo/get drunk. I was ignored at most booths like I was invisible and the reps weren't even busy, they were busy drinking their cool drinks. No thank never again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    I have been to VEE and VEW, I'll never go to any vision expos again ever! There's no such thing called customer service at these expo/get drunk. I was ignored at most booths like I was invisible and the reps weren't even busy, they were busy drinking their cool drinks. No thank never again.
    Did you happen to grab handfuls of stale M&M's at least?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you happen to grab handfuls of stale M&M's at least?
    No but I got loads of catalogue and a couple of pens, woooooooot \o/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Does anybody care??? I think the proper question that eyecare professionals should be asking is.... Where the vendor sponsored parties?????
    C'mon people, we've got to eat somewhere, and it might as well be for free, at the expense of the Big Boys marketing budget!!
    The EYE-ROCK concert is one, there is an OD Facebook meetup too but location has not been determined.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I think the Vision Shows are immensely valuable. I love meeting people face to face that I talk to on the phone every week, plus its very effiecient. I can schedule 10 meetings at VE in 3 days instead of travelling to Cleveland then Florida, back to Denver etc.

Vision Expos SAVE me a ton of money.

Chris, you obviously aren't the networking kind of guy...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Any ideas for a meet-up? Is there a booth (preferable near a cocktail establishment) we could use beside Live Eyewear? I am not a morning person though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am partial to the Eye Care Professional Magazine Booth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I am partial to the Eye Care Professional Magazine Booth
    Do you know the booth number? Do you want to say Friday or Saturday at 4:30 pm? Can I bring a flask or is there a bar near by? Can I carry your luggage like I did last time? Oo Oo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The main reason I go is to meet up with higher ups of the companies. These days if you have the volume you can't afford to deal with the reps.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    The main reason I go is to meet up with higher ups of the companies. These days if you have the volume you can't afford to deal with the reps.
    That is the EXACT reason I go. At VEW, I was buying frames, and when I tried to get a better price, the rep got up, went to a back room, and came out with the owner of the company. He introduced himself, we talked a bit, he invited me to lunch, and w/in 2 hours, I was one of their exclusive closeout buyers. That just doesn't happen when the reps call on you in Anytown USA.

Great point Lenny.

Thread Information