Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange but True: You can easily remove most scratches from 1.60 and 1.66 product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Nikolay, I have preached exactly the same thing here on OptiBoard for the last over 10 years. This is the way to do it, however on this continent most optician want to sell new glasses or at least lenses, and tell their customers it can not be done.

Besides that you could do the stripping yourself for somebody that has purchased new glasses and would like to have the old partially delaminated ones as a spare. It only takes maximum 10 seconds to stripp the AR coating and about 1 hour to get rid of the hard coat, and you have most probably a lens without even a scratch.
    It can be done... but most high quality AR 's either won't work well (adhesion issues), can't be applied to cut and edged lenses, or you get clamp marks when they can. So you are often left with A and B AR's only. As well, larger scratches will fill unevenly and streak in a dip coater often leaving blurry spots or waves. One patient kept cleaning the new/old lenses just because they seemed fuzzy and dirty but it was tiny waves.

Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should do something.

Comment

I just looked at my stock lens price list..........this is not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by OpticLabRat View Post
        You can also cover the scratches with a China Marker, and then wipe clean. The scratches will temporarily disappear. "Not that Ive ever done that" to get something past the final rejector...I mean inspector :)
        ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bill8234 View Post
          What color China Marker?
          I've had the best luck with white. Usually doesn't work on lenses with A/R however.

Comment

Anybody use this product before? Can it be used to fix scratches??

Amcon Scratch CoatAMCON SCRATCH COAT SOLUTION is a ready to use product designed to provide a scratch resistant coating to CR39 type lenses without the need for baking. This fast acting formula can treat up to 200 pairs of lenses.
            Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Comment

Working...
            X