Which is the best Optician School?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best Optician School?

Hello Optiboarders. I tired searching and did not come across any solid leads and hence thought I should just put it up here on the forum. Which according to you is the best optician school in the world? I am planning to pursue a career in the same and join a course. Also kindly understand that I have been in the industry for a while now and did not take algebra in my last two years on school and three years of college. I undesrstand its mandatory to have algebra for some schools to join. However I am not looking at optometery courses and am looking at schools specific for opticians.Thanks in advance.

Are you planning a move to the US?

Comment

I wouldn't mind applying for a Visa and moving on provided the school is good and the course is short. Please PM me the details if you have any.
      Are you aware of any schools closer to India. just curious.

Comment

I can't say about the world (probably in Germany), but here are some links to various North American schools, and their accreditation agency.

http://www.nfos.org/

Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks a lot of the great informative message pseudonym. Feels great to be a part of this awesome board. FYI, I was in talks with a school in Vancouver as they were interested in opening a school in India. Everyone is excited and want to be a part in this countrys size and amazing opportunity. But as things turned out he wanted me to undertake his course which was very expensive and he said he would divert my schooling fee as his share towards our start up. Sounded shady and I backed off. But as they said its a small world and good things happen. I just had a client from Vancouver and the lovely couple were so impressed with my store and detailing on their sale that they have offered me to come to their home and spend sometime with them. They have also spoken around and have said that we can do it cheaper and are all out to help me. What can I say?

Comment

Take a look at Pennfoster.edu
            A good bit of the program is self paced and has a clinical practicum portion for a hands on learning experience.

Comment

This is where the Spanish Opticians go:

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish? If you wish to practice in a particular state, then the NFOS site above will provide information on COA accredited schools. All have solid atributes, and may be your best bet for entry into the profession in a particular state because they are more familiar with all of the local Opticianry laws, and for networking. BC College of Optics is a short course in Canada, but not recognized by COA, which means if you went to a state that requires a professional license, the certificate from BC would not allow you to sit for their boards. PAKev mentions Penn Foster above, but in my review of the program it is VERY basic and would not prepare an Optician to sit for the boards in most states. It will all depend on your location. Good luck in your decision, but to really answer your question, which is best, it is dependent on what you wish to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by wmcdonald View Post
                  What are you trying to accomplish? If you wish to practice in a particular state, then the NFOS site above will provide information on COA accredited schools. All have solid atributes, and may be your best bet for entry into the profession in a particular state because they are more familiar with all of the local Opticianry laws, and for networking. BC College of Optics is a short course in Canada, but not recognized by COA, which means if you went to a state that requires a professional license, the certificate from BC would not allow you to sit for their boards. PAKev mentions Penn Foster above, but in my review of the program it is VERY basic and would not prepare an Optician to sit for the boards in most states. It will all depend on your location. Good luck in your decision, but to really answer your question, which is best, it is dependent on what you wish to accomplish.
                  Thanks for the links David and Pakev.

Mc donald, At the outset let me just try to introduce myself so that you are able to understand what I am trying to accomplish.
                  I am 29 years young and have been assisting in my family retail business right from my school days. I went on after school to complete the only formal optician training program in India and worked for a few years with Carl Zeiss and a further few at Safilo. Later, I worked for distributors for eyewear and contact lens and settled down in my family retail trade. During this time of being in the market I was able to understand a few important things that I can forecast.
                  There is a need for formal education for opticians in India. Most of the opticians here are by the pulse and only sell over the counter by way of experience that they have learnt over the years. Optometrist and technicians are formally trained and they normally do not form a part of the sales team as their role ends at refraction. I was looking at getting myself educated in a good reputed school and form a partnership with the same school with whom we can enter the market together and run a similar program in India, I am most importantly looking at a TRANSPARENT and HONEST person/institution who is consistent and looking to score along with me in this journey. Well, this is the plan as of now. Will scout around. Thanks a lot for the replies.
                  Benny

Comment

Benny,
                    Let me suggest to you a program that I have worked with a bit. It is Canadian, and largely delivereed via distance learning, combined with practical experience in the optical industry. Those in the program need to be employed in the field. If you want to learn more about that, contact JeannieB@NAIT.ca for additional information. I will also aske he to contact you if you send me your contact information.

Dr. McDonald

Comment

Optician School

There are 2 other programs that offer distance education in the US and both are quality Associate Degree programs and COA accredited. Take a moment to contact Bill and Yvonne to see if they can meet your needs.

Hillsborough Community College in Florida
                      Program Director: William Underwood
                      Office Phone: (813) 253-7430
                      Office Location:
                      Email Address: bunderwood@hccfl.edu

J Sargeant Reynolds, Richmond, Virginia
                      Program Director: Yvonne Metten, BS NCLE-AC COA
                      Office Phone: 804-523-5415
                      Office Location: Downtown campus 558
                      Email Address: ymodrak@reynolds.edu

Comment

If you want to look at the UK then either:

City & Islington College (URL:http://international.candi.ac.uk/courses/subjects/optics/) does a FdSc course in Ophthalmic Dispensing this in done in conjunction with The City University, London, Department of Optometry and can be used for the qualification FBDO (Fellow of the Association British of Dispensing Opticians).

or contact the ABDO (Association British of Dispensing Opticians) (URL: http://www.abdo.org.uk/ ) and they can advise you. The FBDO is available through distance learning in the UK whilst in practice (in the UK) with residential courses for parts of the course at the ABDO College. The ABDO also award further qualifications in Contact Lens Fitting and Low Vision. The FBDO qualification allows registration with the UK General Optical Council. The registration body for both Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians.

or if you want technical training then I would recommend contacting the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers (URL: http://www.spectaclemakers.com/award...ning/index.htm ) after all they have been doing this since 1629, so I think they may know something about it.
                        As an aside they were one of the original awarding bodies for optometry qualifications, that function now having been given to the College of Optometrists, but I am old enough to have been awarded the Fellowship of the Company when I started as an Optometrist.

Comment

Thank you for the links. Will respond and keep you updated.

Comment

The best school is experience
                            It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Striderswife View Post
                              The best school is experience
                              +1,000,000,000

Comment

Working...
                              X