Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Empower progressive! feedback?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Should you extend that same courtesy to your patients before they committ to the dollars that they may spend?
    This is different in that its a new product and new concept. The other products I sell have been tested and worn by thousands of patients. When the Shamir rep wants me to switch my customers to Shamir lenses and out of Seiko, they give a voucher or two to try the product and show me how good it is. Me or my staff can be the guninea pig and test the quality before we start peddling it to hundreds of patients. I think we owe that to the patients to test the product for them first. I am only talking about testing one pair or two for quality and service before having to committ to four grand in frames. I wouldnt expect the manufacturer to commit this courtesy to me for future pairs after i tried one pair. So your analogy isnt applicable. Fezz, do you buy any other lens where they require you to buy 4k in frames upfront before you get to test the lens. I think not. Thats all im saying

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Should you extend that same courtesy to your patients before they committ to the dollars that they may spend?
    It's a riducuously expensive product and should only be marketed that way. Come on, it's a progressive that can be turned on to be a stronger progessive.?????? I can put on my old glasses that are a +1.25 add and then put on my new ones that are +2.50 add and I didn't have to flip a switch. same difference, almost. I don't get the allure of this product but then I don't have a smart phone, either. I'll stay in the dark ages I guess.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 01-19-2012 at 08:41 AM.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far, we have received 3 display units. All were badly damaged in shipping. Now we are told that there are no more manufactured and they cannot give us a ship date for the 4th one.

Playing with the plano, +2.00 add pair the rep was using, I really don't see how these can be classified as a PAL. It's more blended round (oval 12x20mm) seg over the electronic 'button'.

I finally received an answer after 4 months of asking. The 'intermediate' is a whopping 5mm from fitting cross to the top of the add.

Maybe the display we were promised before Thanksgiving will finally show up some time in February. I'm just glad it wasn't my money to jump on this bandwagon.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Whether the rep wears them or not may or may not be relevant however , the real question is , why cant the ecp or staff try or wear the product first before having to commit to the several thousand dollars to put in the frames and product. The maufacturer should be required to prove the product first before they require an account to put up any dollars. I will make it a point in the future to make sure companies physically prove their product and service first before laying down on dime just based on marketing and a look at some demos.
    I think it's absolutely relevant that my rep isn't wearing the product they sell. If you come into my office telling me how these glasses are game changers, then I expect to hear stories from at least one of my two Aspex reps that explain how these glasses have changed their lives. Every frame rep that I have that needs glasses wears the highest end frame from their line. Every lab rep I have is wearing the latest and greatest lens product/ coating/ technology. Why wouldn't they? So the fact that neither of them are wearing their newest product says to me: Either a) that the company is too cheap to give them a deep discount on a pair, b) the reps don't see the value in them that they vomit out every time I see them, or c), the product really doesn't deliver everything it promises.

When I tell my patients about high end products, I need to believe that there is truth in what I'm saying. I never lie to my patients, or give false hope that some miracle product will do the impossible. I didn't get to try them out at vision expo last year, so I personally have no real life experience with the product. I also am not even close to being important enough at work to be the decider of what we order and don't order. But I have had a handful of patients who asked me about them, and I had nothing to tell them other than what I've heard and read in the propaganda pamphlets.

I will say this: I have no problem spending money on things that are beneficial to me or that I simply like. I own thousands of dollars worth of high end or commercial quality kitchen products. I understand that there are tons of patients who wouldn't think twice about spending 1400 dollars on a set of glasses. But I think it's my duty to make sure they aren't spending that money on a useless fad that will be replaced in three years by an advanced free form design that will sell for half that will deliver twice what the empower promises.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been dispensing emPower sense August of 2011, I have had no problems with my lab US Optical. They were actually the first lab to start the emPower lenses for trail runs in Virginia. Ralph and the gang there are great with getting the orders taken and getting them out and to me on time even if I ask for a rush job on one. 8 business days is the longest it has ever taken to get a job back from them and that was after they had a scratched lens and had to start over.

I have had nothing but GREAT feedback from all of my patients that have purchased them, and I actually have a list of people who have come in for a demo and want them but are just waiting on their appointment to get a new RX.

Responding to everyone else about the cost and such. My patients have not even blinked an eye at my price of $1,395.00 because those whom have purchased premium PAL's from me in the past it's not that much more in terms of Cost over Premium PAL's in a premium frames (About $150 cost difference). I agree with Berry, people spend this amount of money on things that they may need or that aren't even needed. When I see a family of 4 come into my office, all 4 have iPads, and then Mom and Dad complain about spending $100 after insurance on their child's glasses, this is where reality needs to come into check!!! People who truly want better vision WILL pay for it, and I can prove it. And I don't just sell High end stuff in my office my biggest sellers are my low-end lens lines, and I have a few patients that have their "Task Specific" glasses and have also purchased emPower as well.

My main Pixel rep wears emPower and her assoicate that I have met wears emPower. They stand behind it and I stand behind them. I even go as far as teaching my Pixel and Aspex reps new things every week about emPower.

Everyone just needs to not be so closed minded about something new and different. Rome wasn't built in a day, and emPower isn't going to be easy to work with. You have to change yourself and how you do things in order to get the desired effect. If I didn't, I would just have a pretty emPower Display that collects dust instead of putting $$$ into my office. I used my voucher for a demo pair for my office, and I wear them regularly around the office and even at home, and I don't even need the Progressive lens, and I can see and tell about the added benefits of it. You just have to be willing to try it and not just look at the "$" attached to it.

Basically what it boils down to is this, if you don't have the attitude or even the mindset to like it, then you'll never like it. It's just like Transitions, if a patient doesn't not like Transitions, for what ever reason no matter how big or small, you will NEVER talk them into wearing it. For dispensers, if you don't like a particular lens manufacture or AR, you'll never sell it, no matter how much the rep calls, emails, and stops by. You'll NEVER be talked into selling their product. If you don't like it, Fine, but don't down grade something you haven't even tried yourself. Yes there are a few bad cases of things here and there, but dosen't that happen with every new lens design we see (i.e. Shamir Autograph II Variable Seg). I had more problems with the Variable seg Autograph II and that's my #1 selling lens (The fixed of course), but I didn't bad mouth it like many people here are doing just because you have heard or had a bad thing happen or think a cost is too much.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We are trying to decide which lab to use and from looking at the reviews it appears there have been some issues with the production of this new technology. Has anyone else had positive feedback from US optical or any other lab?
    We just received our display and frame set this week. The display demo lens is pathetic in demonstrating the near zone add. Has anyone tried having the patient wear a pair of trial contacts first then use a Demo set of Plano +2.00 to demonstrate this technology?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the rep ain't wearin' it..........................kinda makes for the tylenol questions

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stop being so logical Fezz , have another ale and come back later.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mpuzio34 View Post
    We are trying to decide which lab to use and from looking at the reviews it appears there have been some issues with the production of this new technology. Has anyone else had positive feedback from US optical or any other lab?
    We just received our display and frame set this week. The display demo lens is pathetic in demonstrating the near zone add. Has anyone tried having the patient wear a pair of trial contacts first then use a Demo set of Plano +2.00 to demonstrate this technology?
    A Plano/+2.00 demo is a little strong. Especially for new presbyops and demoing it. I have a Plano/+1.50 this way new and emerging presbyops and existing presbyops can actually see it. I have demoed the emPower several times with tiral contacts and it works great. You just have to explain in stronger Sph and Cyl patients that the distortion may be just a little greater in the lenses with their RX. With higher adds they can see it work at arm reach, and emerging presbyops can hold it in closer and see it work. Plus those whom don't even have to have help with up close can actually see the demo work.

As far as other labs, trust me when I say, the reason why so many are having issues is that the 6 other labs have only been making emPower lenses for just 4 months or even less. US Optical has been doing them for over 1 1/2 years with the trial runs. You will not be disappointed with the quality of work they do, even with other jobs other then emPower. Call all the emPower labs, and talk to the lab manager and talk to them about how long they have been working with emPower and their remakes. Honestly US Optical and Ralph one of the owners told me "I will stand behind it and our work and you'll never be dissatisfied with us." And their remake policy is MUCH better then others, and their cost of the charging bases is cheaper then all the others too.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by L.A.B. View Post
    it is not my place to judge whether or not someone should spend the money on this product or not. I simply educate our patients and they can make their own decision...
    Great job! You are a professional, and can probably sell very well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Whether the rep wears them or not may or may not be relevant however , the real question is , why cant the ecp or staff try or wear the product first before having to commit to the several thousand dollars to put in the frames and product. The maufacturer should be required to prove the product first before they require an account to put up any dollars. I will make it a point in the future to make sure companies physically prove their product and service first before laying down on dime just based on marketing and a look at some demos.
    Welcome to Optiboard Lazarus! Nice to see you out of the cave.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    I have been dispensing ...
    Welcome to Optiboard J.P.!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Still waiting for a useable display. We have had 4 come in badly damaged and now the rep is paying someone she knows to make a frame to cover up the broken parts of the display unit.

4 months after promised delivery time, we are still waiting. First pair sold on 1/19, still looking like at least another week...if everything passes inspection the first time around.

I was willing to go into this endeavor with an open mind. It is getting harder and harder when no one will provide any answers about anything related to the product.

I will update when (if) something happens.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I talked to a colleague today that sold a pair and the patient brought them back complaining about glare issues. She said she made some minor frame adjustments and the patient will try them again. She compared the patient's lenses to her comped pair and called the rep and told him about the noticeable difference in glare treatments. The rep told her that the AR was something that was not too well thought out before they launched these lenses. They are running into problems with the standard quality AR working better on some RXs than others. His suggestion would be to give the patient his money back.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeGJ View Post
    I talked to a colleague today that sold a pair and the patient brought them back complaining about glare issues. She said she made some minor frame adjustments and the patient will try them again. She compared the patient's lenses to her comped pair and called the rep and told him about the noticeable difference in glare treatments. The rep told her that the AR was something that was not too well thought out before they launched these lenses. They are running into problems with the standard quality AR working better on some RXs than others. His suggestion would be to give the patient his money back.
    It sounds like they have to work out some problems with these

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Remeber the Optigrab!!!

Call me a Luddite but I'm waiting a while longer before I'll consider recommending them.

The Empower sounds like a very expensive version of the "spring" nose pad. It too self adjusted!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone sold and dispensed any of these? Are they still being made? They are having major production problems!!!!

Bad address email on file L.A.B.'s Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have sold and dispensed them. Production right now is 3 weeks. The first ones are fine but mine were made and de-laminated. Panasonic made changes that contributed to this and now it's been resolved (hope) I have dispensed since the resolution,so we will see.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if they are going to have a booth at Vision Expo? Maybe that would be a good place to get some answers?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My local lab rep recommends no further orders until Pixel gets the major problems ironed out. Major PIA

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Apparently they'll be available in Canada after you guys work out all the kinks for us.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Apparently they'll be available in Canada after you guys work out all the kinks for us.
    Not true! I met with them at the VEE last month and there are no immediate plans to sell in Canada - our market is much too small for them.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Not true! I met with them at the VEE last month and there are no immediate plans to sell in Canada - our market is much too small for them.
    Interesting. That's contrary to what my rep told me. Guess that's not surprising.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Interesting. That's contrary to what my rep told me. Guess that's not surprising.
    You want mine! You can let us know how it goes.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    You want mine! You can let us know how it goes.
    Maybe. Can I get it with Anti-Fog?

Thread Information