Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Empower progressive! feedback?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pixel Empower progressive! feedback?

Anyone try or dispense the Empower electronic progressive lens yet? A few labs I use are all having trouble producing them without delays and I had two orders come back with craze or defect in lens. Anyone know a lab we can send to who is not having trouble with it? Im starting to wonder if Pixel hasnt got this mousetrap perfected yet and maybe released it prematurely? Anyone have any experiences with the product? tia

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just got my display unit yesterday. Which lab are you using? I am planning to use Luzrene.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tried it at VEW, didn't work for me. I'm waiting...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm getting mine next month, also planning to use Luzerne. Which lab are you using?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tried them , Pech and Southern. Not happy with result from any of them on this product. No problem with them on other orders. If had to do over again, I would have made Pixel make me or staff a pair to let us test for a month before we were forced to put in display. This way we could get an idea of process time as well as test function of product over a longer period.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate to say I told you so, but....

Bad address email on file L.A.B.'s Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Luzerne. No problems or delays with making glasses, however, I have seen some issues with near zone not working at times. Apparently, they are working on resolving this. Regarding the product, I used our free pair to make an office demo with plano distance/+2.00 add. Our Dr.'s also purchased them for themselves and for me. I love the distance/intermediate area but dislike the near zone. It's only good for brief use (looking at a menu or shopping)so when reading for longer than 5 minutes, I go back to my Autographs!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    When they where out here they would not let us try them out first and from the sound of it they just do not work that great.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They do work. I love them when the near is in the "off" mode because the distance and intermediate area is wider than anything I have ever had and for work, it is great. The near zone is just more apparent than my Autographs so I to sit down and read a book is not so great. But, they do work.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by L.A.B. View Post
    They do work. I love them when the near is in the "off" mode because the distance and intermediate area is wider than anything I have ever had and for work, it is great. The near zone is just more apparent than my Autographs so I to sit down and read a book is not so great. But, they do work.
    So what your saying is that you would spend $1400.00 on these and then 300.00 to 500.00 on a nother pair for reading glasses . Like I said I do not think these are that great then pt would expect them to work better than a Autograph lens after all they just spent $1400.00 on one pair of glasses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am giving feedback on my experience with the product, that is all. It works extremely well for me 90% of the time, since most of my close work is at intermediate range and that intermediate area of usage is much larger than my autographs. As for the cost, we charge $1250 and it is not my place to judge whether or not someone should spend the money on this product or not. I simply educate our patients and they can make their own decision and "yes" some people find it absolutely worth the money they spend. It is not for everyone but there is a place for it, just like other products.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just thought I'd add this NY Times article about these lenses in case you hadn't seen it: http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...ectacle-glass/

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    So what your saying is that you would spend $1400.00 on these and then 300.00 to 500.00 on a nother pair for reading glasses . Like I said I do not think these are that great then pt would expect them to work better than a Autograph lens after all they just spent $1400.00 on one pair of glasses
    What are you TALKIN' about???!? People sepnd that amount and more on fancy trim packages, seats and navigation in their cars, that they never ever really fully utilize.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My reps for pixel have so drunk the kool-aid, but my question is: Why aren't they wearing the Empower when they come to preach to me about them?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    My reps for pixel have so drunk the kool-aid, but my question is: Why aren't they wearing the Empower when they come to preach to me about them?
    Perhaps they don't need a multifocal yet?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Both are over 50, maybe pushing 60

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe it's not covered under their Eyemed/VSP plan?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I think one pair of glasses is rarely the right solution for anyone. Why would it be any different with empower?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can't compair people spending money on glasses and spending money on car packages or phones and computers, because the perception of glasses hasn't changed for most people in the last 100 years.

I know, I know, educate them blah, blah, blah. You can talk till you are blue in the face, and the light bulb turns on in maybe one out of ten patients. We all know that most patients need at least 3 pairs of glasses to work for their everyday needs, but God forbid anyone spend money on glasses, when they are spending 200 bucks a month on wireless or cable bills.

I think the concept of the empower and the other ones like them are great, and probably very valuable to the average patient, never mind those who do task specific jobs, but when faced with the decision between a new pair of glasses and upgrading their old Iphone to the new Iphone, they ain't saving up for the Iphone.

And yes, I know that some of you do very well with the higher end product. But when you argue the value of a new frame vs old frame with a patient who owns a corvette, a boat, two homes, and everthing Steve Jobs ever invented, the idea of $1400 glasses makes me tired.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Maybe it's not covered under their Eyemed/VSP plan?
    I can almost guarantee, the Aspex reps that are peddling these, don't have VSP.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by L.A.B. View Post
    This is interesting information, as the progression is supposed to be based on the Autograph II Lens. I'm curious why it would be any different. Thanks for your input on your usage. Helps us all navigate the great sales pitch.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Just thought I'd add this NY Times article about these lenses in case you hadn't seen it: http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...ectacle-glass/
    My strong hunch is that the people that wrote this and other articles have never actually worn the product for any significant amount of time if at all and are simply wow'ed by the concept.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Whether the rep wears them or not may or may not be relevant however , the real question is , why cant the ecp or staff try or wear the product first before having to commit to the several thousand dollars to put in the frames and product. The maufacturer should be required to prove the product first before they require an account to put up any dollars. I will make it a point in the future to make sure companies physically prove their product and service first before laying down on dime just based on marketing and a look at some demos.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Whether the rep wears them or not may or may not be relevant however , the real question is , why cant the ecp or staff try or wear the product first before having to commit to the several thousand dollars to put in the frames and product. The maufacturer should be required to prove the product first before they require an account to put up any dollars. I will make it a point in the future to make sure companies physically prove their product and service first before laying down on dime just based on marketing and a look at some demos.
    Should you extend that same courtesy to your patients before they committ to the dollars that they may spend?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Should you extend that same courtesy to your patients before they committ to the dollars that they may spend?

Thread Information