Thread: What is the easiest way of going about becoming a group provider for major insurance?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

What is the easiest way of going about becoming a group provider for major insurance?

I will be opening my own business next month and just secured my location, going to want to be a group provider for most of the major vision carriers. Can anyone offer best suggestions to get this going quickly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get a list, call each one and have them send you the provider paperwork. That's it really.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does it go fairly quickly? I am worried about timeline. Thx for help btw

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why the rush to lose money?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For patient convenience. I don't want to eliminate a fair amount of clients because they have coverage I don't accept.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YourEyesOpt View Post
    For patient convenience. I don't want to eliminate a fair amount of clients because they have coverage I don't accept.
    You didn't get what Fezz meant. If you could get by NOT taking insurance you would actually make money.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I understood him, but I am seeking advice and not sarcasm.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You did not understand me.

I meant it as advice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It does not go quickly. Ask around, and if you must, take only those that will at least allow you to make SOME profit. You will quickly find out which plans you should NEVER take, as they are nothing but resource wasters.

I hate, despise, loathe...insurance companies. I want no part of them. Having said that, I take insurance at SOME of my offices, but certainly not all of them. Someone once told me that if I am at the point to where I am turning customers away, then I should not take any plans. I took that to heart, and that's why I take some of the "better" paying plans.

On the other hand, it's OK to not be busy. Not being busy causes you to become creative in bringing in business, sharpening your customer service skills, and building your practice. When you are swamped with a bunch of $18 per head insurance patients, you often don't have time to take care of those people that truly value your skills and products, but instead are forced to wait on people that are "forced" to come to you because they believe they have no choice.

You have a choice. Choose wisely. (I would also choose to join the Pro Forum, where we can revisit this topic more openly, and give specific advice)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as I understand, there is no Group providers for ODs!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    As far as I understand, there is no Group providers for ODs!
    Is the poster an OD? I didn't think so, which would make Fezz's point all the more crucial. Opticians don't have the luxury of making money off of the exam, and most third party plans treat the optical portion as an afterthought.

I've seen many plans the pay handsomely for the exam, and don't even pay enough to cover the material of the eyewear.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of them go rather quickly and some take forever and make you jump through hoops but none of them would take less than 30 days. Some third party plans pay rather well and are worth taking, some are not. You get to choose which plans you wish to participate in. Don't forget your local ones through the school districts, union locals etc. Those are sometimes "straight pay" no discount plans.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I hate, despise, loathe...insurance companies. I want no part of them. Having said that, I take insurance at SOME of my offices, but certainly not all of them. Someone once told me that if I am at the point to where I am turning customers away, then I should not take any plans. I took that to heart, and that's why I take some of the "better" paying plans.

On the other hand, it's OK to not be busy. Not being busy causes you to become creative in bringing in business, sharpening your customer service skills, and building your practice. When you are swamped with a bunch of $18 per head insurance patients, you often don't have time to take care of those people that truly value your skills and products, but instead are forced to wait on people that are "forced" to come to you because they believe they have no choice.

You have a choice. Choose wisely. (I would also choose to join the Pro Forum, where we can revisit this topic more openly, and give specific advice)
    This is really really good advice, especially if you are an optician, not an OD. Well said Johns!!!

Thread Information