Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooper Biofinity multfocals?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cooper Biofinity multfocals?

I have tried several multifocal and bifocal contact lenses and have not been happy with any of them. Several people at work have tried this lens and seem to like it so I'm going to try it.

I have a 2.50 add which always makes it harder. Anyone wear it or know much about it?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I have tried several multifocal and bifocal contact lenses and have not been happy with any of them. Several people at work have tried this lens and seem to like it so I'm going to try it.

I have a 2.50 add which always makes it harder. Anyone wear it or know much about it?
    There are several good designs like this bifocal which are more successful than in the past. Each uses a central distance zone progressive to near on the dominant eye and central near on the non-dominant eye. What determines the success of this system is the matching of the zone sizes with the size of your pupils. Also, they must be fit dead center. One fitter uses a topogapher to check centration. If it's not centered he switches to another contact.

This is the same bifocal design used in freq 55 and Proclear. Soflens multifocals by B+L use a similar design and are one of the only bifocals offered in more than one base curve. B+L also has their Purevision bifocal in silicone hydrogel material. Ciba has a silicone hydrogel bifocal in a similar design in Air Optix.

What's fifferent about Cooper's design is they offer 4 bifocal strengths. +1.00, +1.50, +2.00 and +2.50. In my expeience the higher adds tend to cause blur at night BUT NOT ALWAYS. Again, different pupil sizes and centration GOOD LUCK !
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 01-08-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: info

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the great information. I watched a video on the lens I found on the internet that talked about the lens and how to fit it.

I did try the Pure Vision Multifocal and liked my mono vision contacts more. The reading wasn't any better then with mono vision and the distance wasn't as good. Cause, all these multifocal contacts are also somewhat mono vision in the higher adds.

My high add I know is the problem and could be a problem with these. I do have over the contact driving glasses that might help if night time driving is the only problem.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On this one I have made several un-happy patients happy with distance version of the lens on both eyes. But you can beat yourself to death before you get some patient's happy with any soft bifocal.
    Especially if you are trying a toric soft multifocal.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Happylady,

Have you tried modified monovision (bifocal in just the near eye)?

Won't give you better near than the monovision, but will clean up the distance quite a bit.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's all trial and error. Both the patient and the fitter need to spend time. Lately, I have seen some good results with Ciba monthly Aqua MF. i know, I know...I should learn how to fit translating RGPs...(trouble is, I do know how to fit them and nobody likes them either).

One of my partners fits the Biofinity... He feels he is successful with them...then why do I see some of his patients after a year and they beg me to fit something else? If the patient wants to try something new every year, they are not successful...or maybe they are from a profit making perspective.
    Last edited by fjpod; 01-09-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You can succeed with Biofinity as well as B+L's as well as Ciba's, with experience. Begin with mastery of one lens, and move from there.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note: For some reason B&L PureVision doesn't have a flat base available. If K's are flatter than 43.00 B&L's old Multi Focal sometimes will give much better acuity.
    With Cooper's lineup you can get a lot of base curves and some variation on the distance (near) width.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Note: For some reason B&L PureVision doesn't have a flat base available. If K's are flatter than 43.00 B&L's old Multi Focal sometimes will give much better acuity.
    With Cooper's lineup you can get a lot of base curves and some variation on the distance (near) width.

Chip
    I agree the old B&L MF still seems to work well, but they look ugly on the eye, and I worry about oxygen. Never did well with the Pure Vision version.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On this one I have made several un-happy patients happy with distance version of the lens on both eyes.

Chip
    I don't think this will work well with my high add. I think I'm going to need one D lens and one N lens.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    Happylady,

Have you tried modified monovision (bifocal in just the near eye)?

Won't give you better near than the monovision, but will clean up the distance quite a bit.

Harry
    Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I have tried that. I didn't like it better then the mono but this was a few years ago when mono was working better.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fij: Don't worry about oxygen, it's been around a long time and hasn't hurt anyone except some preemies in the '60's.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wanted to update this thread. I tried the Biofinity Multifocal and am happy with them. I am using a N in my left eye with a +2.50 add and a D in my right eye with a +2.00 add. My near and distance are both 20/25 or maybe a blurry 20/20.

It's still basically mono vision. I use my left eye for near and my right eye for distance. I can see intermediate with both eyes.

My left eye with the multifocal sees near a little better then with the mono (but enough that it helps) and distance is about the same. Intermediate is very slightly worse.

My right eye sees distance very slightly better with the distance only contact but the intermediate is better with the multifocal. The near is every so slightly better but I really can only read with the left lens.

I can still use my over the contacts sunglasses and clear glasses as needed.

I do see better with my glasses but the contacts are working and I'm pleased with them.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy:
    Note all aspheric bifocals (and this is one of them) are progressive so I don't know why you would need the lower add in one lens. But if it works for you, stick with it.

C

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy:
    Note all aspheric bifocals (and this is one of them) are progressive so I don't know why you would need the lower add in one lens. But if it works for you, stick with it.

C
    I started out with +2.00 add D lenses in both eyes. I said I couldn't read so he switched them both to +2.50 D lenses. But that messed with my distance so I tried the +2.00 D on my right eye and it was clearer.

Reading was still an issue with both D lenses and so we tried an N lens on my left eye. So I am still reading with my left and seeing a sharp distance with my right.I see about 20/50 distance with my left and 20/25 with my right.

With my mono I see 20/50 with my left and 20/20 with my right. But my near is better with the multifocal.
    Last edited by Happylady; 01-31-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reading the above post confuses even me! Simply, the +2 add in the right eye helps with the distance. The distance is blurry with the +2.50.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I started out with +2.00 add D lenses in both eyes. I said I couldn't read so he switched them both to +2.50 D lenses. But that messed with my distance so I tried the +2.00 D on my right eye and it was clearer.

Reading was still an issue with both D lenses and so we tried an N lens on my left eye. So I am still reading with my left and seeing seeing a sharp distance with my right.I see about 20/50 distance with my left and 20/25 with my right.

With my mono I see 20/50 with my left and 20/20 with my right. But my near is better with the multifocal.
    I don't know why this should be confusing. As i have stated before, the higher adds often blur distance vision. I usually use a lower add in the dominant eye for this reason, -BUT NOT ALWAYS, you just have to try it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @ happylady: You are nearing the one month mark of using your multifocal contacts, and in my opinion, at a stage where adaption, and "brain adaption" is complete. Unfortunately, it is also the time of year in North America, when the daylight angle and hours can create a disappointing tolerance, but...this too, shall pass.

Howzit going??

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    @ happylady: You are nearing the one month mark of using your multifocal contacts, and in my opinion, at a stage where adaption, and "brain adaption" is complete. Unfortunately, it is also the time of year in North America, when the daylight angle and hours can create a disappointing tolerance, but...this too, shall pass.

Howzit going??
    Well, it's been more like 2 weeks. I'm doing well but I'm thinking of asking the doctor to drop the distance on my left eye to -2.50 from -2.75 to help the reading even more. He bumped it up to help the distance but I think it's more important to clear up the fine print. I can read fine print (like medicine bottles) with my natural vision and my glasses but not with the contacts.

My distance correction in my left eye is -2.25 -.75 so I think it might help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like the right thing to do!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has been my experience with most bifocal contact lenses when the acuity was fine at delivery and then there is some complaint a few days or weeks later, the base curve was too steep. A real booger of a problem if the base available is the only or flattest available.

Chip

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has been my experience with most bifocal contact lenses when the acuity was fine at delivery and then there is some complaint a few days or weeks later, the base curve was too steep. A real booger of a problem if the base available is the only or flattest available.

Chip
    I hope that's not the case. The base curve on my lenses are 8.6.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It has been my experience with most bifocal contact lenses when the acuity was fine at delivery and then there is some complaint a few days or weeks later,...
    Chip
    I too have fit many people with MFs of one sort or another, and many accept the final fit as good or excellent, and make the purchase. But when I see them a year or two later, they are not interested in getting them again. To me this speaks volumes. (Chip would say I am a lousy fitter).

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy: What are your K readings, or did the good doctor use a one size fits all approach?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy: What are your K readings, or did the good doctor use a one size fits all approach?
    I don't know actually but I know my eyes are steep. I wore a 8.4 in Night and Day contacts. These feel fine and really, the vision is good. I just would like to tweak the left a bit to see if I can see a little better up close.

Thread Information