Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBC is looking into the optical industry.............................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper CBC TV is looking into the optical industry.............................

On December 23 got an interesting e-mail from an associate producer of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) on the subject of vertical integration in the eyeglass industry. Following is part of the text:
    I'm an associate producer at CBC TV in Toronto. I'm doing some researchabout vertical integration in the eyeglasses industry and came acrosssome of your posts on Optiboard. I was hoping that we could speak on thephone for my research. This would just be on background -- it's early inmy research so I'm not at the point where I need to quote anyone -- butit would be wonderful to get your thoughts on this issue.
    I am not mentioning names at this point. We had a quite long telephone conversation. They are just at the start of putting together some show on the subject and are doing a research, apparently triggered by a lot of consumer demands. OptiBoard seems to reach quite far these days.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-07-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Very good

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Finally some National media attention on these issues?

Occupation
    Actually it looks like it. I just got another e-mail today on the subject, which I think I may post here, so that you can see that they seem to be serious about it. However they need some participation.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Actually it looks like it. I just got another e-mail today on the subject, which I think I may post here, so that you can see that they seem to be serious about it. However they need some participation.
    Keep 'er coming Chris - certainly can't do any harm.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post

Keep 'er coming Chris - certainly can't do any harm.

Just send them some interesting reading : http://www.hprac.org/en/projects/res...fessionals.pdf

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-27-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    In a perfect world, opposing size really shouldn't matter when it comes regulators. Although their scope is vast covering many areas, their main purpose/initiative for existence is to 'regulate' in a world without interference and also maintain a level fair playing field for all involved.

However, as we all know, this isn't the case here. The large size and deep pockets of such a vertically integrated mother ship company allows them to carve and shape the landscape to align with their corporate goals by simply writing a few large cheques to a few key people in these 'associations' and 'regulatory' bodies. They even very cleverly disguise this act as a term called 'sponsorship'.

This is the same chameleon company that is supplying and supporting the illegal internet retailers that compete unfairly against the legitimate, regulated law biding brick and mortar operators. Yet they continue to supply, deny, and spin telling customers it's other manufacturers supplying and not them.

As idispense indicated in the last post, although I don't completely agree that this is how the cards may fall, the reality is the industry continues to erode for those honest professionals trying to survive and provide top notch ophthalmic services as a professional. With further deterioration, survival through cannibalization may be the result. Support the smaller independent companies people!!!

Similarly, where is the transparency and cohoonas with these regulatory bodies and associations?

Occupation
    If you have read the letter in full, mentioned in post 6:

Read the whole letter...............you can not stop reading, like a thriller at: http://www.hprac.org/en/projects/res...fessionals.pdf

you will understand the basics of Candian opticianry, and may be want to make an effort to get some changes. OptiBoard can be the ideal place for fast communication.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 02-27-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 01-25-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They should also be talking to a front line indepentant Optician.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trust me, when CBS gets through it's going to show all of us brick and mortar types and being a price gouging, money grubbing bunch of incomptents. The mall people as being legitimate outlets and the mail order people as being the blessed saviour of the common man.
    Ain't no way us poor struggling independents are gonna come out being the darlings of the industry.

Chip

Occupation

Redhot Jumper specially on vertical integration into the optical industry..........................

Quote Originally Posted by inside out View Post

They should also be talking to a front line indepentant Optician.
    That is exactly what they want to. That is why I started this post. I was asked if I knew any body that would give them some information, specially on vertical integration into the optical industry. So if you a so called front line optician why don't you come forward and talk to them, thats what they want.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can put them in touch with the attorneys looking into the monopoly of Transitions and Essilor. HOw about some fraud I discovered and have not yet had any attorney general interested in taking them on?
    How about price collusion on the part of the Big ??- have you noticed all the prices of lenses and coatings are with in a few dollars of each other, that is not an accident.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Trust me, when CBS gets through it's going to show all of us brick and mortar types and being a price gouging, money grubbing bunch of incomptents. The mall people as being legitimate outlets and the mail order people as being the blessed saviour of the common man.
    Ain't no way us poor struggling independents are gonna come out being the darlings of the industry.

Chip
    I agree. This CBC newsarticle (likely for their Marketplace show) will not be about the vertical integration of the eyecare industry - that's just for background info. I bet it will be singing the praises of internet dispensing based in BC.

Occupation
    That is a good idea...............feed them some ideas, I guess it is the same in Canada for sure

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well chip anderson has a point. "once they get through with the bricks and morter..". I believe their intent is to get a story. I dont believe their is a purely moral motive here. So if I discuss what I know and give my name to the info the that I present. Who is going to help me pay for all the lawyer bills that I will have just to stay in business? If I pass the hat who is going to chip in for the 500,000 to win this thing. Who is going to stand by me when I am interviewed by CBS? Who is going to be my PR manager advising me how to send out the message? No general wins the war by himself. He needs his Army. What idoit runs into the front lines alone? Hey I was trained as Optician. I am self educationed in all other respects. If you notice when the Nationals play the game they have a lawyer and PR guy by their side. If you want to front someone for this job you have to back him with funds, PR (public relations), and a good admin lawyer. It would be fun though to see the CBC visit the national office in Winnpeg and ask "How does the OAC and NACOR maintain the indepentent autonomy when their offices are just accross the hall fron each other and they share the same office machines?" I would like to know the answer as to why the OAC bylaws state that in between meeting of the board of director that three people, the executive (president, vice president, and treasurer)have all the powers of the board. The OAC board only meets twice a years. So for most of the year it is these three people that hold the power over this million dollar a year budget. The rest of the board is not even aware of some of the decisions made. Non elected advisor know more info of what is really going on than elected board members. The OAC is registrated as a non profit organization. I would like to see this organization reviewed by indepentant parties. I would be fantastic if there was a govt rep on the OAC and NACOR boards.
    Last edited by inside out; 01-16-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a real place to start look at the partnership between OAC and Transition. If we could only have on camera the after meeting bar tabs and who was at the table. I have witnessed way too many. CBC should come to a OAC vision con-ed. Sit in on a NACOR or OAC, or OCC meeting. See the link on how these big industry dollars effect on the provincial regulators losing battle to maintain their own autonomy. I think that these types of conflict of interests are so inbred in the industry that they are not even aware that it is wrong. Maybe that is me just being nieve. Next thing you know Coastal contacts will have its own chair at these meetings too. I have to ask why are the national bodies at the con-eds promoting internet dispensing? Will there be a day when they have gold member status. Maybe they will get a table at the show so they can head hunt for hungry out of work Opticians that have lost their jobs because of deregulation.
    Last edited by inside out; 01-16-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Contact Parliament Members........................

1) Who is going to help me pay for all the lawyer bills that I will have just to stay in business? If I pass the hat who is going to chip in for the 500,000 to win this thing.

2) The OAC is registrated as a non profit organization. I would like to see this organization reviewed by indepentant parties. I would be fantastic if there was a govt rep on the OAC and NACOR boards.

1) Most probably nobody

2) Get support of the people that can do something or at least try if you can get them interested enough, without being dragged into a law suite.
    Contact yours and other MPs in Ottawa, there are over 300 of them. Among them are a lot of newcomers that might be interested to try something to get into public view. I have posted all their e-mail addresses and which constituency they represent on my website at:
    http://optochemicals.com/canadian_parliament.htm

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Chris so far I am getting a lot of "you do with no help" I know that answer. I was looking for a little more expertise from this forum. At least the congradulatory comment sounded nice.
    Here lies the last Optician may he rest in low Abbe. Executed for trying to save the profession of independent Opticians. It is reported that the firing squand severely wounded him before the kill shot as the gunmans glasses were all supplied by online internet dispensers. Many tears were shed by suppliers that had to reduce the price of their wholesale goods. All the other Optician shook their heads and said too bad he was right. They then donned their hairnets and fliped burgers and lowered the fri basket. Excuse me say can you tell me whats on the menu I cant read the fine print.

Occupation

Blue Jumper No optician has to get shot.................

Many tears were shed by suppliers that had to reduce the price of their wholesale goods. All the other Optician shook their heads and said too bad he was right. They then donned their hairnets and fliped burgers and lowered the fri basket. Excuse me say can you tell me whats on the menu I cant read the fine print.

No optician has to get shot.................at the worst they just have to starve. The wholesalers do not have to lower prices, the onliner do not buy from them that is done at the lab in China and they get the stuff at lower prices than the local distributors can. Then it gets sent to Canada and customs does not even look at it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are being shot behind the scenes. It is more merciful to be shot than starve. I was speaking metaphorically. Suddenly you never hear from them. I have talked with owner of supply companies. They see the dollars they are losing. They are tempted. And when there is no more bricks and morter independants left who will buy their stuff. They will join or be assimilated. Anyways I think you need a sense of humor with all this. People being starved in consentration camps often used humor to help them survive the worst of times. Start practicing "welcome to McDonalds may I take your order" Come on you got to laugh at death in the face. Really we are all corraled behind the same fence. Our only last hope is to get elected on our provincial regulatory board. That is where the power is. My one glimmer of hope is the start forums within this board and other where progressive morally honest individual Optician from every province will gather to over throw the current old guard OAC servants within their respective regulatory body. We need just a handful of courageous leaders and many supporters. We could start a thread for every province. I will try in Sask. Who will lead in the other provinces? Call your friends. Get them reading this board. Let them hear what is going on. Then meet with them face to face. Start a process to get elected. I tell you the legal power is held at the provincial regulatory board level. We may fail. And that hurts the ego. I know. But if we dont try we will always fail. Who will try.....? I have been shot down but I am willing to try again. "Rise and Rise again until lambs become lions!"

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    They are being shot behind the scenes. It is more merciful to be shot than starve. I was speaking metaphorically. Suddenly you never hear from them. I have talked with owner of supply companies. They see the dollars they are losing. They are tempted. And when there is no more bricks and morter independants left who will buy their stuff. They will join or be assimilated. Anyways I think you need a sense of humor with all this. People being starved in consentration camps often used humor to help them survive the worst of times. Start practicing "welcome to McDonalds may I take your order" Come on you got to laugh at death in the face. Really we are all corraled behind the same fence. Our only last hope is to get elected on our provincial regulatory board. That is where the power is. My one glimmer of hope is the start forums within this board and other where progressive morally honest individual Optician from every province will gather to over throw the current old guard OAC servants within their respective regulatory body. We need just a handful of courageous leaders and many supporters. We could start a thread for every province. I will try in Sask. Who will lead in the other provinces? Call your friends. Get them reading this board. Let them hear what is going on. Then meet with them face to face. Start a process to get elected. I tell you the legal power is held at the provincial regulatory board level. We may fail. And that hurts the ego. I know. But if we dont try we will always fail. Who will try.....? I have been shot down but I am willing to try again. "Rise and Rise again until lambs become lions!"
    you are a brave soldier but the army of opticians where are they! no where to be heard leave alone been seen, like ostriches with there heads in the sand greedy as usual making their money unaware that the gravy train is going to a STOP

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 2o/20 View Post
    you are a brave soldier but the army of opticians where are they! no where to be heard leave alone been seen, like ostriches with there heads in the sand greedy as usual making their money unaware that the gravy train is going to a STOP
    I would suggest we inform as many opticians as possible about this discussion forum. I remember when the OAC web site had a forum before it was removed. I missed having this opportunity to express views and was pleasantly surprised when I found the OptiBoard. When opticians attend the various provincial and national events, step up to the microphone and put forward the motion to have a link to the OptiBoard placed on their home page web site. At the moment it is" united we stand, divided we fall". I would gladly do it myself but I left the business reluctantly years ago when I realized it was turning into a dead end. No longer licensed and a member of my provincial association. I am still passionate about our profession and would like to see changes and willing to help out in any way. There are no repercussions being threatened at me!

Cheers
    Last edited by ex-optician; 01-18-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Thread Information