Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What PALs would you suggest as being similar to the Comfort yet lesser expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonathan barber View Post
    Another option would be the Essilor Natural...I have fit plenty of former Comfort patients with the Natural with no problems. After all, its design was based on the Comfort itself.
    +1

Comment

Why don't you try some digital lens designs? Quite a few all digital labs have inexpensive offerings, and unless you're fitting a high hyperope they all work fairly well. They also usually have a choice if corridor length so you can match their old form more closely..

Comment

In adds 2.00 and below, I have found Digital Eyelab's Digi Pal and Shamir Element to be acceptable substitutes.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Santini View Post
          In adds 2.00 and below, I have found Digital Eyelab's Digi Pal and Shamir Element to be acceptable substitutes.

B
          I've been using the Element as a Comfort replacement regularly without any problem.

Comment

Exactly the Natural and the Essilor Accolade are a very close second and my lab has had noprob dispensing them and they are a bit lower cost

Comment

I'll chime in for the Natural, have done plenty of these types of re-fits with success.

Comment

Originally posted by William Walker View Post
                Thanks for all of the replies. I would really rather keep her in the same progressive she's been accustomed to as well. If there was a lesser expensive option with very little compromise (like the Panamic to Ovation), I would feel pretty confident about it.
                Actually, Varilux fixed that for you. Although the New Comfort is better, its different. They already changed lenses.

An alternative would be the Younger Image, I found that to great alternative to the Comfort and less expensive.

Comment

I had trouble with the Natural in the higher adds, but great luck in lower adds. Its a soft design and the reading narrows above a 2.00 add.

Comment

Originally posted by William Walker View Post
                    I have a patient who comes in wearing Varilux Comfort progressives. She likes them, and has had trouble in years past when opticals have attempted to fit her into other progressives (I'm guessing hard vs. soft PAL design or big jump from Varilux to something much narrower).

We've priced out a new set of Comforts, but it looks like that might not be financially viable for the patient right now. Would anyone have any suggestions on a lens similar in design to the Comfort yet maybe not carry as high a price? The patient is aware that the lesser expensive lens may come with some compromise compared to her Comforts.

Thanks!

(Oh yeah, Rx is:

+1.00 -1.50 x 123
                    +0.50 -1.25 x 040
                    2.25 Add)

Comment

Ceslo, would you mind explaining your terminology and numbers more clearly? IA, DC, etc. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick777 View Post
                        Ceslo, would you mind explaining your terminology and numbers more clearly? IA, DC, etc. Thanks.
                        Dear members!
                        Sorry for my english.

Abbreviations are:
                        IA: induced astigmatism.
                        DC: Diopter cylindrical.

Regards,

Celso Cunha

Comment

Thank you for informing us of the annotations used elsewhere. This is one strength of Optiboard - worldwide input!

Way back over 40 years ago, we had a foreign exchange student in high school from Brazil. We became close friends. 30 years later we had a reunion with awards given to those who traveled the furthest, and we were shocked to find that Jose had indeed traveled back to West Virginia for the reunion. Of course, he won the distance challenge. When he saw me he ran over to me and started talking and showing pictures of his speedboat that he runs on a river heading north of Sao Paolo. And guess what? Turns out he's now an Ophthalmologist!
                          DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
                          "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
                            Thank you for informing us of the annotations used elsewhere. This is one strength of Optiboard - worldwide input!

Way back over 40 years ago, we had a foreign exchange student in high school from Brazil. We became close friends. 30 years later we had a reunion with awards given to those who traveled the furthest, and we were shocked to find that Jose had indeed traveled back to West Virginia for the reunion. Of course, he won the distance challenge. When he saw me he ran over to me and started talking and showing pictures of his speedboat that he runs on a river heading north of Sao Paolo. And guess what? Turns out he's now an Ophthalmologist!

Dear member,
                            Sorry,
                            But I've never been to the USA, and if you pay attention, my English is not someone who did exchange in USA.

I do not live in Sao Paulo.

Regards,

Comment

Bom Dia Senhor Cunha

I notice in one of your posts you have a Rotlex lens analyzer. Have you analyzed many lenses? Have you published findings?
                              I'm curious to see what the maps look like when the rx is +1.00/-2.00x180/90/45/135 etc.

Regards
                              A Ahmed

Comment

Originally posted by gibby2020 View Post
                                Bom Dia Senhor Cunha

I notice in one of your posts you have a Rotlex lens analyzer. Have you analyzed many lenses? Have you published findings?
                                I'm curious to see what the maps look like when the rx is +1.00/-2.00x180/90/45/135 etc.

Regards
                                A Ahmed
                                Dear Ahmed,

I have a Rotlex 1.5 years ago. I have over 75 maps of PAL.

I did three studies on PAL last year , two are awaiting the result of a competition to be published, and one is under review for publication.

I have already received some questions on my site on maps with astigmatism in different axes and maps in Rotlex.

This astigmatism should not receive this concern of his colleagues, because it has nothing to do with the induced astigmatism (IA) by variation of the curve of the PAL, and the program Rotlex class plus have the form of analysis Distorsion that annulling the powers of astigmatism of the area distance, and let IA only, for further analysis of these.

However, the best way to analyze is with RMS power error, because this is the best way to analyze the blurred vision caused by refraction or IA, and this has been the form used by manufacturers to develop their PAL.

Regards

Att,

Celso Cunha

Comment

Working...
                                X