Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lenscrafters new Accufit system.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The optikam system features a 'level' with a locking functimg that, along with the parallax-inducing center projection from the frame reference tool, helps the system to differentiate the difference between head tilt from posture and lens plane tilt (panto).

William: does the Accufit system have such a level on its tool?

Please advise.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Please clarify point 2. In the Optikam system, from which this is derived, panto is panto..., independant of head posture.

B
    I agree with Barry. As an example, if I tilt my head towards the floor, did I just create 90 degrees of Panto tilt?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You know, the other day I was riding on a bus and having a good chuckle about the book the young lady three rows ahead of me was reading as I was reading it over her shoulder.
    And I've never been to LC!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So many sour grapes around here .

Video centration systems have many benefits. As all tools they require some learning to get the benefits.

1. Parallax error horizontal and vertical is eliminated (reduced significantly). Check out the great presentation (on opticampus) "Progressive Lens Dispensing. Darryl J. Meister" to see the importance.
    2. One measurements for all the Position of Wear data. There is no need to fumble with different tools and risk changing how the frame sits (also your client's time is valuable, don't waste it).
    3. Fast measurements -> great help for fitting and troubleshooting Progressive lenses. Adjust -> measure and repeat the 2 steps until satisfied with the results.
    4. Inherently more accurate than a pupilometer. Opticianjw explained it very well in post number 23.
    5. Centration according to the Eye rotation Center for all SV lenses. You can improve optics of standard lenses greatly just by proper centration.

Quote Originally Posted by William Walker View Post
    ... By having the patient raise their chin up to an acceptable slight panto, it has effectively lowered the OC in the lens ...
    When centering according to the eye rotation center the system (ours at least) automatically calculates the fitting height according to the pantoscopic tilt:

Lets say you have an uncompensated pupil height of 20mm and panto 14 degrees.

The calculated C.O.R. fitting height will approximately be 13 mm (20mm - 14*0,5) -> "at a typical vertex distance, which is about 27 mm from the center of the eye, one degree of rotation is roughly equal to 1/2 mm across the lens surface (27 mm * tan 1 = 0.5 mm)".
    Now you make the person tilt his head backward so the pantoscopic tilt becomes 6 degrees, but the uncompensated height has changed as well and is now 16mm.

The system will again calculate the C.O.R. fitting height to be 13mm (16mm - 6*0,5).
    Head tilt does not influence the compensated (according to the Eye rotation centre) fitting height.

To the sour grapes ... progress happens all the time. Not everything is perfect on the first try but people always seek improvement. Don't expect everyone to stay still because you don't want to go out of your comfort zone and improve.

PS: Last week we had a PAL wearer feeling discomfort. I took the lenses out, measured him on the system and immediately saw the pantoscopic tilt was out of spec (18 degrees). I fixed the frame, did another measurement to verify the POW, put the lenses back in and all was well. Another happy client thanks to the video centration system.
    Last edited by Nikolay Angelov; 01-27-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The optikam system features a 'level' with a locking functimg that, along with the parallax-inducing center projection from the frame reference tool, helps the system to differentiate the difference between head tilt from posture and lens plane tilt (panto).

William: does the Accufit system have such a level on its tool?

Please advise.

B
    The system does indicate the tilt angle after taking the photo. It is a wonderful tool for teaching correct fitting and we can stop mistakes from occurring prior to sending the job to the lab.
    Do not postpone joy

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To any opticians that think by not using today's technology to better yourself or the quality work you perform is a mistake. Digital lenses will be what you will be selling in the future if you are not already selling them now. Although manual measurements can be taken, regardless because of accuracy or patient perception you will lose business if you do not use the state of the art tools that are available like your competitors. Opticians can do all the explaining how good the are and how the additional measurements are not important all they want but some of your costumers will go elsewhere if they see your office not keeping up. Optometrists did not take negatively to the auto refractor even though they know that many times alone, it is not 100% accurate and they cannot prescribe from it without comparing it to the manual refraction. They use it as a tool to make them more efficient, more accurate (as a second source to compare) and more impressive to the patient. I use the Optikam everyday and I promote to the patient that I use this technology and offer them the best lenses offered today. It keeps my business ahead of the curve and allows me to compete without having to discount my services.
    Last edited by Opticianjw; 01-29-2012 at 12:40 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've personally used the LC system and can tell you that it's a dog and pony show. The lab guys are rounding up or down on the "precise" measurements. If the operator knows what he/she is doing it and the frame has been pre adjusted(rarely done) then is will give you 29.4 od and 30.6 os and 19.4 seg ht. As an example, Which then prints on the lab ticket and is ignored at blocking for obvious reasons.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Even if there was any benefit to being so accurate, the lab takes those numbers and rounds them up or down because how could you block up something to 1/100th mm?

I wonder who's gonna take the hit when they realize that this snazzy new system isn't gonna win them any new patients because the people dispensing and selling the glasses are the major problem. I don't think there are too many people left to fire.

Well, I did have a Briot edger that had the blocker built in that could round to that if I am not mistaken. I miss that thing. =(

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Honestly, as a Lab Manager at a LC, it has it's ups and downs. Obviously patients are impressed by the technology and we have had people come in just to see it.

It can be a great tool, if as a previous poster said, the frame is pre-fitted properly. If not, it makes you want to shoot yourself. (Or the person taking the measurements) Sadly the latter is usually what happens.

I cannot tell you how many times the PD is off by 4 or more mm and we go check the image with the fit sensor not anywhere close to the center or the frame is crooked as can be. (Also another benefit however, being able to review it later)

If utilized properly it can be more than satisfactory for you and your patient. But, the reality of the situation is that it does not happen nearly as often as it should. Good thing I can take away people's ability to authorize measurements though. ;-)

Thread Information