Thread: New edger on the way. How do you maximize profitability of yours?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New edger on the way. How do you maximize profitability of yours?

My doc inherited a Santinelli 7070 ten years ago and the thing has run admirably since. its getting worn and starting to make weird noises (though still edges fine), and he has decided to score some year end deals and upgrade our edging capabilities. he's decided on a Santinelli ME-1200. its pretty much what he's going with, savvy or not.

I'm going to enjoy drilling, custom bevel wrap sunglasses, and especially Chemistrie, all beyond our current machine. The thing's gonna be darn expensive, so anything i can do to wring out profit from it is essential. My question is what novel tactics have those of you with advanced edgers (or just advanced edging skills) used to turn extra profits on those edging capabilities? Have you done a lot with custom shapes and facetting? Superfast turnaround? Do you keep a large library of premium finished lenses?

I've been edging for 10 years, so I know the basic strategies to make edging profitable. But now that my doc is jumping into serious commitment with a high end machine, I'm looking for smart ways to capitalize on it and market our abilities that I might not come up with on my own.

I'm sure the wisdom here will surprise me!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To me, that edger should have been bought on the sales coming in the front door in the first place. If they won't support it, I am pretty sure that they won't pay for it. What was your demand for these services before investing? One hour? Custom work? Facets (really)?
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 12-29-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I have seen and worked with semi automatic and fully automatic bevel edgers from the first models ever made. (Weco semi made in the 1930's, mounted on top of a ceramic wheel hand edger, to the American Optical EdgeMaster in the 1950s, the first fully automatic Weco in the late 1960 which had a diamond roughing wheel and then a ceramic finishing wheel.

Every few years somebody makes another one with more gimmicks at a higher price and technology. It is all to speed up service and the possibility to employ less expensive and expirienced technicians. The computerization is no big deal to the young generation and they learn that part very fast. It is every owners goal to have good and fast equipment ............but equipment does not sell.............it only delivers..............and if it delivers good and fast work it is always worth it. If you have the funds to pay for it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its simple: My ME1200 easily pays for itself in:

1. Far greater efficiency - more jobs done in less time.
    2. Far better quailty - in lens fit and frame fit. I couldn't imagine living without its "frame-fit" mode now!
    3. Wrap eyewear is easily done in house - with additional use of high curve mode for thicker minus and plus ophthalmic work.
    4. the drill memory is a dream - can always prepare lenses for any client's frame remotely.
    5. Step bevel means doing Rx's outside of Oakley's range or lens type (bifocals, etc.) means never saying no.
    6. Chemestrie Layered Technology- what can I say? we're doing about 4-6 a week, with 25% of those also buying an additional "powered" layer. THE PROFIT FROM CHEMESTRIE ALONE PAYS FOR THE EDGER!

the difference between the Me1200 and your 7070 is greater than the difference between patterned and patternless edging.

It's a no- brainer. contact me if you need getting acquainted advice, or any help with Chemstrie. I've got that nailed down pat.

Barry
    besantini@optonline.net
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 12-29-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a 6 year old ME1000 and it was the best thing we ever bought. I have looked at the new ones, but mine is paid for and works like new. If you cannot figure out how to create sales with this machine; you have not learned to utilize it!
    We do custom drill mounts while they wait! We have over 10,000 jobs in our data base with 4,000 patterns for drilling alone. That has to be worth something to our clients and the service we provide.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    6. Chemestrie Layered Technology- what can I say? we're doing about 4-6 a week, with 25% of those also buying an additional "powered" layer. THE PROFIT FROM CHEMESTRIE ALONE PAYS FOR THE EDGER!

...Barry besantini@optonline.net
    Barry is dead on again.

Why does this happen Barry? We think very much alike. Funny too, as far as I can tell you were the first practice in the US to go all Free-form with your progressives in August 2005, and I was the second 6 weeks later. We have a lot in common, you and I.

The other posts that mention the cost effectiveness are also very valid. The 1200 is as an awesome edger, especially if you do custom B's and drills a lot, but its also very expensive. You really have to break down your sales and marketing plan to see if the cost is worth it. If you can't move Chemistrie clips, or don't do a lot of drills, and don't run premium AR's you may be better served by other models.

We just purchased a bank of Weco 580's ourselves, although its a step behind the Santinelli, the price difference was huge. The total cost per job wasn't worth it for us. If I had only one machine though, my criteria would be a little different.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I aspire to be like you, Sharpstick 777! But also for me, the ME1200 is about really being into the *craftsmanship* aspect of eyewear fabrication and design.

If you like what you do "at the bench", then regardless of cost, edgers like the ME1200 are always worth it.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Barry is dead on again.

Why does this happen Barry? We think very much alike. Funny too, as far as I can tell you were the first practice in the US to go all Free-form with your progressives in August 2005 (don't think I was by a long shot...) We have a lot in common, you and I. (yes, we do)

The other posts that mention the cost effectiveness are also very valid. The 1200 is as an awesome edger, especially if you do custom B's and drills a lot, but its also very expensive. You really have to break down your sales and marketing plan to see if the cost is worth it. If you can't move Chemistrie clips, or don't do a lot of drills, and don't run premium AR's you may be better served by other models. (agreed)

We just purchased a bank of Weco 580's ourselves, although its a step behind the Santinelli, the price difference was huge. The total cost per job wasn't worth it for us. If I had only one machine though, my criteria would be a little different. (see above)
    Yes, see above

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awesome, thanks Barry and sharpstick777. We do lots of premium AR and about 10 Chemistries a month. We're also ramping up digital a lot and I was frankly getting nervous about edging those 1.67 Physio Enhanced Sapphire Transitions on the old 7070, I'll be glad to get back into heavier edging.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Awesome, thanks Barry and sharpstick777. We do lots of premium AR and about 10 Chemistries a month. We're also ramping up digital a lot and I was frankly getting nervous about edging those 1.67 Physio Enhanced Sapphire Transitions on the old 7070, I'll be glad to get back into heavier edging.

Ahem....you'll still need some advice on the super hydro ARs so they don't slip. Use TAK pads from Salem, and get the ($$$$!!!) swivel cheuck from Santinelli too.

B

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

what is the best way to find out how much licensed opticians make in my area?

Does anyone have good advice for me regarding how to find out how much licensed opticians are paid in my area? I will be graduating from Opticianry School in 2013 my employer told me today that the only licensed opticians in our area that get paid $25 to $30 an hour work for Corporate stores, not privately owned offices.

My apprentice representative had mentioned to me that the doctor's in our area pay their licensed opticians between $25 and $30 this is where I got these numbers from.

Thread Information