Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Essilor Sales Reps** Customers please respond

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

**Essilor Sales Reps** Customers please respond

I am considering a sales position with this company and have some general questions about the sales process.

Note: My question is for all sales reps that come to your office, not just Essilor.

1. What do they do well?

2. What do they do that is not beneficial to you and your practice?

3. (Put yourself in the shoes of a sals rep) What changes would you like to see?
    Last edited by agapelove; 01-07-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I want them to call first rather than just showing up at their convience.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I want them to understand the lenses they are selling to such a degree they can actually explain why they are better without relying only on all the marketing hype.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I want them to call first rather than just showing up at their convience.
    Thanks. This is really important and I can understand why you would want this done.

Is there anything else you can add to this topic?

How can reps from all companies be better consultants and help you accomplish your goals?
    Last edited by agapelove; 01-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A successful Salesrep is born that way................you can teach somebody the technicalities, but never the personality it takes to become succeessful.
    It needs some real special people for such a job.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Java reply

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I want them to understand the lenses they are selling to such a degree they can actually explain why they are better without relying only on all the marketing hype.

So Java the marketing hype doesn't tell you how to use the lenses?

Or are the reps not able to understand what you needed outside of they're marketing messages?

This goes for any rep, not just Essilor by the way.

Java,

Are they good at discussing the RIO with you and how you can improve your bottom line?
    Last edited by agapelove; 01-07-2012 at 07:01 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Java is there anything reps can do outside of work to improve their technical knowledge other than sales training?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by agapelove View Post
    So Java the marketing hype doesn't tell you how to use the lenses?

Or are the reps not able to understand what you needed outside of they're marketing messages?

This goes for any rep, not just Essilor by the way.
    I know how to use the lenses. What I want to know is *why* they are better, not just some brochure that tells me they are better. And I want the reps to be able to explain it to staff who may or may not have significant optical knowledge.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know how to use the lenses. What I want to know is *why* they are better, not just some brochure that tells me they are better. And I want the reps to be able to explain it to staff who may or may not have significant optical knowledge.

Thanks java99

What I hear you saying is you want the rep to be more " consultative ". Java are their financial reasons to go with one lab over another? When does ROI and value added services come into play during the sales process?

Thanks Java99
    Last edited by agapelove; 01-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by agapelove:406476
    +1!

Thanks java99

What I hear you saying is you want the rep to be more " consultative ". Java are their financial reason to go with one lab over another? When does ROI and value added services come into play during the sales process?

Thanks Java99
    Quality, Turn Around, Flexibility, Knowledge etc. are all top priorities but once you find 2-3 places that can deliver this price and 2nd pair promotions become a large factor.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Java on this one. I want the rep that comes in telling that he is selling the newest, best, latest, greatest, run-faster, jump-higher lens or coating or whatever to be able to tell me why it is better. I expect at least a working knowledge of optics and a moderate amount of knowledge of their competitor's product so there can be an honest comparison.

Marketing will always be a part of a sales rep's routine, but I would like to get an answer from a rep during the visit. I don't have time to meet with a rep and then spend time on the phone 2-3 days later when they finally get back to me with an answer.

I make it my goal to always ask a question that I know the rep will not be able to answer. Unfortunately, the companies have been hiring people that make it way too easy for me.

Would it be so bad to hire someone with knowldege of the industry instead of someone who was selling syringes and scalpels last month?

Just my $.02.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When I was booted from the industry 10 years ago, there was a growing emphasis on hiring lens reps that had sales experience instead of optical knowledge. I thought it was a mistake at that time, and I see no reason to change that opinion. It's certainly not that hard to find knowledgeable opticians who are also great sales people. Unfortunately we live at a time when knowledge and experience is vastly is under-rated.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    When I was booted from the industry 10 years ago, there was a growing emphasis on hiring lens reps that had sales experience instead of optical knowledge. I thought it was a mistake at that time, and I see no reason to change that opinion. It's certainly not that hard to find knowledgeable opticians who are also great sales people. Unfortunately we live at a time when knowledge and experience is vastly is under-rated.
    Steve,

Outside of the sales training, how can a rep keep they're knowledge up to date? Are there books, courses to take or suggested reading that may help?
    Last edited by agapelove; 01-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    I'm with Java on this one. I want the rep that comes in telling that he is selling the newest, best, latest, greatest, run-faster, jump-higher lens or coating or whatever to be able to tell me why it is better. I expect at least a working knowledge of optics and a moderate amount of knowledge of their competitor's product so there can be an honest comparison.

Marketing will always be a part of a sales rep's routine, but I would like to get an answer from a rep during the visit. I don't have time to meet with a rep and then spend time on the phone 2-3 days later when they finally get back to me with an answer.

I make it my goal to always ask a question that I know the rep will not be able to answer. Unfortunately, the companies have been hiring people that make it way too easy for me.

Would it be so bad to hire someone with knowldege of the industry instead of someone who was selling syringes and scalpels last month?

Just my $.02.

Bob a good rep is passionate and believes customers & patients come first. You can have all the knowledge in the world. But if you are not caring and confident, you will not win in the long run. A rep should be a true consultant and not waste your time. It's their job to do a "needs analysis" up front and then go from there. I am sure you have reps you like and have a relationship with that are good. It sounds like you are talking about reps who come in with "commission breath". If a rep can't get the answer to your question the same day, he should not get your business. Not only do they have external customers like yourself, they are have internal customers (lab, co workers, managers,etc). 3 days to get an answer, is a bit much.
    Last edited by agapelove; 01-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post
    Quality, Turn Around, Flexibility, Knowledge etc. are all top priorities but once you find 2-3 places that can deliver this price and 2nd pair promotions become a large factor.
    Brillant Anthony,

Do you have any success stories where it all went very well and you were able to improve your bottom line? Have any other companies offered you other serves to help build your practice?

How can you tell a good rep from a "Green Rep"???

Occupation
    Steve,

Outside of the sales training course, how can I rep keep they're knowledge up to date? Are there books, curses to take or suggested reading that may help?
    Curse to take? I know a lot of them, but I don't think that will help much.

A well rounded Rep should be on OptiBoard of course. there really isn't another site like this available. And they should be talking to and learning from their customers. That is the way to stay current.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Brillant Anthony,

Do you have any success stories where it all went very well and you were able to improve your bottom line? Have any other companies offered you other serves to help build your practice?

How can you tell a good rep from a "Green Rep"???
    All Rep is good rep here.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    All Rep is good rep here.
    didn't get that steve?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    HONESTY, atleast here in India. Various rates and schemes for hospitals and independent opticians. Ofcourse they have brilliant media programs and are still the number 1 in recall when it comes to lenses in India, however they function as a family business in India and give no opportunity for growth for independent opticians. They fail to understand consitency and are after fly by night operators who buy large from them. Its a sad fact that the reps are just pulled in and trained for a very short period after which they are flooded into the market. I am not going to favor any company just because they have a smiling rep.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bob a good rep has passion and believes customers and patients come first. You can have all the knowledge in the world. But if you are not caring and confident you will not win in the long run. A rep should be a true consultant and not waste your time. It's their job to do a "needs analysis" up front and then go from there. I am sure you have reps you like and have a relationship with that are good. I think you are talking about "ankle bitters", who come in with a commission on their mind ONLY. If a rep can't get the answer to your question in 30 min, he should not get your business. Not only do they have external customers like yourself, they are have internal customers (lab, co workers, managers,etc). 3 days to get an answer, thats crazy.
    Honestly, to me, a rep is like a third grade teacher. I have to be there, I might as well make the best of the situation. I have never made a decision about a product based solely on what the rep has told me. I will research a product/service on my own through multiple sources and decide from there. I am more likely to utilize a rep as a resource when they have a working knowledge of the product and industry than someone who has amazing sales skills.

A rep without knowledge is actually a waste of time for both of us. The most passionate rep is worthless if they cannot add something of value to the equation. Stay home and read a book or surf Optiboard and learn the industry and don't take me away from my business until you are ready to contribute. My time is valuable and I have enough resources available (including this forum) to find an answer within 30 minutes without having to wait for a rep to call someone to find the same answer.

Out of courtesy, I will only throw softball questions for the first 2 visits to gauge the level of knowledge then from the 3rd visit on, the gloves are off. Sometimes it can be fun to watch them squirm and make up an excuse to leave and then never come back.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, to me, a rep is like a third grade teacher. I have to be there, I might as well make the best of the situation. I have never made a decision about a product based solely on what the rep has told me. I will research a product/service on my own through multiple sources and decide from there. I am more likely to utilize a rep as a resource when they have a working knowledge of the product and industry than someone who has amazing sales skills.

A rep without knowledge is actually a waste of time for both of us. The most passionate rep is worthless if they cannot add something of value to the equation. Stay home and read a book or surf Optiboard and learn the industry and don't take me away from my business until you are ready to contribute. My time is valuable and I have enough resources available (including this forum) to find an answer within 30 minutes without having to wait for a rep to call someone to find the same answer.

Out of courtesy, I will only throw softball questions for the first 2 visits to gauge the level of knowledge then from the 3rd visit on, the gloves are off. Sometimes it can be fun to watch them squirm and make up an excuse to leave and then never come back.
    Bob,

A good rep should have good product knowledge and know they're competitors product(s). They will also know their companies "value proposition" and be able to find areas where they can offer a solution. If they have not spent the time getting to know your practice and how they can help you become more profitable?
    Last edited by agapelove; 01-07-2012 at 07:09 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by beejay View Post
    HONESTY, atleast here in India. Various rates and schemes for hospitals and independent opticians. Ofcourse they have brilliant media programs and are still the number 1 in recall when it comes to lenses in India, however they function as a family business in India and give no opportunity for growth for independent opticians. They fail to understand consitency and are after fly by night operators who buy large from them. Its a sad fact that the reps are just pulled in and trained for a very short period after which they are flooded into the market. I am not going to favor any company just because they have a smiling rep.
    Thanks. for the Truth.....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bob,

If a lab offered you a consultation fee for your help in developing their sales training curriculum. What would be some of the key areas you think you would focus on?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bob,

If a lab offered you a consultation fee for your help in developing their sales training curriculum. What would be some of the key areas you think you would focus on?
    I will let you know when that offer is made.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This requirement that the reps understand technical and optical goes right past me. For their end, it's just business. For your end (and perhaps ego)' it should be about "how" to present the products effectively and persuade a client to purchase. Whether or not it lives up to the company's promise depends alot on your business mission statement.

If it was so easy for a rep to master all the tech, then cavemen would do it too.

B

Thread Information