Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As for playing, I was what you would call a lazy striker.
    Oh, I know you! I played with you in High School!!! Collect the ball from the fullbacks, run it the whole way up the field and cross it to the striker (who has only managed to dog it part way down the field...). Striker promptly loses the ball and its a sprint back to assist the fullbacks- repeat as necessary for 90 minutes!
    :o
    Ooops, sorry! Just had a flashback to a particularly horrid year of soccer! I'm sure you were nothing like the chap I'm remembering (thanks for dredging up bad memories, I'm getting chin splints just from the sprint down memory lane). The only skill this fella seemed to have was the ability to do one of those back flip scoring kicks (did it twice during that year, as much as chicks aren't impressed by soccer uniforms here, THAT little trick seemed to make them just melt). Aurrrrgh! Let's never bring up this subject again!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Big Smile

by Ian..
    John,
    Are you an Iti or summit?
    :drop: Remember there is a very strong Mafia presence in the States. :drop:

by Pete..
    Its only a game!
    Only a yank would say that about (proper) football...Its more than a game here its our way of life, you should see all the glum faces when our team loses....Seem to remember a few south americian team players getting shot for not playing well..:shiner:

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    Pete Hanlin said:
    Here's a question. Why do you Europeans get sooooo worked up when your team loses! I mean, the Russians (I guess they aren't European, but its the same kind of thing) were busy attacking Japanese people and burning stuff after losing to Japan. We get pretty worked up over football (the kind played with a pointy ball), but we don't usually start riots and such nonsense!

Its only a game! :cheers:

I suppose it all comes down to something one of our famous "football" coaches (Vince Lombardi) said- "Winning isn't everything... its the only thing!"
    The Russian football hooligans have been modelling themselves on the worst of the English hooligans to the extent of wearing and waving Union Jacks
    Not exactly the exports we were hoping for.

Too much alcohol and a big rivalry with Japan (who sank the Russian Baltic fleet in 1905 and still haven't officially made peace with Russia since 1945!)to blame.

I think it was Bill Shankley who said "Football isn't a matter of life or death, it's more important than that"

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    sarahr said:
    So what's the plaan for Wednesday?
    1. Late for work
    2.Dedicated worker on the premises by 7.30am
    3.1st hlf T.V. 2nd half 5 live
    Should this be a poll?:cheers:
    Well I had it all worked out I'm usually in work by 7.15am (don't ask!) so it would be first half on the waiting room TV and then sneak a peak at the second half whilst seeing patients!

But NO! I'm examining in our Professional Qualifying Exams on Wednesday, so it'll be Radio 5 on the radio and hang on in the car until 9.15am, well the exams don't start until 9.30am! Then watch it again on the TV if we've won!

By the by John it ws a Columbian player who scored an own goal and got his team knocked out who was shot and killed on his return to Columbia, they take their football VERY seriously out there.

I think the Ecuadorian coach (who's a Columbian) has also had assassination attempts due to his team selection!!!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    USA 1-1 South Korea... oh well, its a point. I haven't watched the game yet, but I couldn't stand the suspense and had to look the score up. Sounds like we got off to a lead and then fought to hang on again...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Awful

Pete,
    I stayed up to watch. We looked awful all over the field. The defense was weak at best and the Koreans couldn't finish or we would have lost. We simply took advantage of our limited scoring opportunities and they could not. All in all it was a good result for us. If we tie with Poland we are through to the quarter finals. We must step it up a bit though.
    Warren

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    John R said:

I've just gone off you Ian.......

Excuse me for trying to make the new lad/lass feel welcome:)

I not a big fan of continental football, what I do like is the true grit, utter determination ad team spirit that is evident in the the english and Irish games.

As an english commentator said when we scored against Germany,

They just never know when to give up

Occupation
    ioconnell said:
    John R said:
    I've just gone off you Ian.......
    Excuse me for trying to make the new lad/lass feel welcome:)
    Its not that, (Unless you are after my job :bbg: ) its the fact you said croasia deserved to win......Personally that lines man should be shot for disallowing to good goals...So Italy would have won......

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    We looked awful all over the field. The defense was weak at best and the Koreans couldn't finish or we would have lost.
    From what I saw, the problem in the first game was we couldn't maintain possession with the lead. I'll be interested to see why the "offensive spark" that Reyna was supposed to provide never materialized.

Oh well, home to watch the replay. From what I hear, Korea blew an open net chance from point blank range in the final five minutes or so...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Correct

They were in the 6 yard box and shanked it over the net. The problem I think was in the level of fitness the Koreans brought to the match. THEY WERE FIT! They ran all day, and we couldn't match their intensity. 65,000 fans with 64,000 of them in red and yelling all day was an added problem, and while Reyna is excellent, I feel we did better with the previous line up. Many factors had an impact however and I just hope we get by Poland now. They have nothing to lose, and will do 1 of 2 things: fold or come out relaxed and play to win. I think that game is ours to lose, but anything can happen. As long as we tie, however, we are into the next round. Who would have believed it! France lost this morning to Denmark which puts them out and Argentina is soon to be gone it appears. You never know do you?

Occupation

Thumbs up YES

Well done Ireland for making the 2nd round...Also a big thanks to the frogs for crashing out...Made my day at least...

All we need is a bit of luck and we too can cruise to the 2 nd round and bring on the senagaliese....

A quick question to all the buffs.
    "Last time the holders of the cup were knocked out in the first round, who went on to win the cup" ?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up suprise suprise

A quick question to all the buffs.
    "Last time the holders of the cup were knocked out in the first round, who went on to win the cup" ?
    after brasil were kicked to death in '66 it was
    ENGLAND :cheers: TIME FOR A REPEAT
    me thinks.
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I watched all 90 minutes of the USA-Korea match, and here are my observations on the US squad...
    1.) we need to do better possessing the ball (if you're going to push it up field, fine- but think about where you're putting the ball!)
    2.) I am really impressed with #22, Tony Sanneh... the rest of the team seems to have questionable ball handling skills (well, O'Brien seems to be a pretty good possession player, but other than these two, they seem to have no help), which brings me to
    3.) what, exactly, is the team strategy??? I wasn't able to figure it out... at times, it just seemed like 10 guys running around the field backed by a goalie who seemed to be there when it counted

The Koreans were fit, weren't they? Those little ******s looked about as fresh after 93 minutes as we did in the first 10. Even though I thought the officiating was pretty fair (considering the host team was on the field), Korea spent a lot of time riding the backs, legs, etc, of our guys and I think 3 or 4 more cards could have been issued (oh, and as far as the goal the Koreans got- they should have never had that penalty kick... you have to allow a sliding tackle if you get all ball!).

Finally, our goalie was either playing out of his cleats, or the Koreans just can't close the sale... I'm thinking it was a little of both- criminies! I could have landed a couple of Korea's opportunities.

Overall, I'm glad the next game with Poland starts at 7:30am our time! I will get up early enough to catch the first few minutes of that match!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Pete Hanlin said:
    I watched all 90 minutes of the USA-Korea match, and here are my observations on the US squad...
    1.) we need to do better possessing the ball (if you're going to push it up field, fine- but think about where you're putting the ball!)
    Mmm i think that applies to our (England) team as well, what a shower of sugar they were today...We were lucky to scrape through....
    Still at least i wont bother watching the rerun tonite far better things to do now...Roll on sat and Denmark...

Occupation

Big Smile true but

Mmm i think that applies to our (England) team as well, what a shower of sugar they were today...We were lucky to scrape through....
    none the less into the last 16 and can only get better:bbg:
    and tommorow your spaghetti munchers (who maybe pasta there best) will get a chilli reception from mexico.:cheers:

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Bad address email on file

Croatia loses the game against Ecuador. This idiots. After this good game against
    italy i thought they could make a big thing and now...

@ioconell: Yes your right, Croatia is my favorite team because im
    a croatian who is working in Germany.

@PeteHanlin: Here's a question. "Why do you Europeans get sooooo worked up when your team loses!"

I dont understand it too. But for some guys its more than a game. For
    Croatia was it '98 in France a presentation of a country, because millions
    of people watched WC. But thats an another story.
    I cant understand the russians and argentinians. Its
    only a game. Maybe im wrong 'cause im not a big fan of football. Im watching
    only the big events.

Occupation

Re: true but

optispares said:

your spaghetti munchers (who maybe pasta there best)
    well we scraped through by the skin of our teeth...Seems odd but we have had more (good) goals dissallowed than most teams have scored.
    Still bring the reat on having watched brazil tonite, great attack even the No5 can score with style but they sure as hell rode their luck at the back..Had Costa rico not had a off day up front who knows what the score would have been...
    Me thinks Brazil had better shape up their defence or their we can (hope to) score more than you could be their undoing against a proper defence...

We may be the pastamastersof the world yet Jack...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Croatia loses the game against Ecuador. Those idiots. After the good game against Italy I thought they could make a big thing and now...
    Actually, I got to watch part of this game before heading to work this morning. I was really impressed by the team from Ecuador. It seemed like they had a number of natural ball handlers on their team. I'll be getting up early tomorrow to catch the US-Poland matchup.

I am still dismayed by some of the foul calls I'm seeing. Daggonit, if you make a clean tackle (all ball), there should be no foul- no matter how hard the opposing player goes down. Clean tackle = clean play!
    :angry:

John,
    What is all this talk about pasta? Am I missing something?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Confused

Pete Hanlin said:
    John,
    What is all this talk about pasta? Am I missing something?
    As a yank most likely :shiner: ...
    OK OK I will explain in english for you..
    Pasta is just a play on words its just a way of saying "past it" but with nice itie conatation

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

USA loses... and advances!

Looks like we beat an over-rated team, tied a pretty good team, and lost to a team that played as if they had nothing to lose!

Actually, I watched a good portion of the USA-Poland game and the offense looked as sharp as I've seen so far. Defensively, let me just wish an "adios" to Agoos (that strained groin must have come from getting juked out of your jock twice in five minutes!).

Looks like England plays Denmark in the next round... Good luck! USA will face Mexico, and Ireland takes on Spain- right?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Re: USA loses... and advances!

Pete Hanlin said:
    Looks like England plays Denmark in the next round... Good luck! USA will face Mexico, and Ireland takes on Spain- right?
    Hey your paying attention are you now your through to the knock out rounds....
    After the stalemate and boringness (nobody wants to lose now) of the germany game, I hope things get better but i dob't it...Just how many penalty shoot outs are we going to see before the final....

Occupation

Unhappy penalties

john r said
    After the stalemate and boringness (nobody wants to lose now) of the germany game, I hope things get better but i dob't it.
    :( watching the game was a big enough penalty.:( just thankful it didn't go into extra time
    time to open a can and settle down for the match and hope that Owen can deliver @last
    :cheers:

jack

Occupation

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bbg:ENGLAND3DENMARK0 :bbg:
    bring on brasil:cheers: :cheers:

jack

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar

Re: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

optispares said:
    :bbg:ENGLAND3DENMARK0 :bbg:
    bring on brasil:cheers: :cheers:
    It's coming home, it's coming home
    Football's coming home...

Occupation

Wave

The score line was very flattering... Had their goalie and attack been on form it would have been very diffrent....
    Still thats football....

Nice to see all that rain must have made them feel at home.

Maybe Belguim can do us a favor and defeat Brazil.....

And there's still a chance of a England V Ireland final....

Thread Information