View Poll Results: How often should a rep visit?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every Month

5 13.16%
  • Every Other Month

9 23.68%
  • Every Third Month

9 23.68%
  • Other Scheduled Time

6 15.79%
  • Only when NEW product comes out

3 7.89%
  • Only when I call

6 15.79%

Thread: Sales Reps

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Question Sales Reps

Just wondering how often the board feels that a rep should visit an account.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Arrow

I would say its going to depend on a few things like.
    How big the account is,
    Just what they need to do, Check boards or just sell to you,
    How keen they are to shift their products...

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    I work as a sales manager looking after a team who sell equipment to opticians.

We have recently introduced a system where our reps should make pre-arranged visits to our customer base every 6 months, even if it is only for 5 minutes to say hello.

Personally I'm not a big fan of walking in off the street unnanounced, as you guys are too busy to squeeze in 15 minutes without prior knowledge!!

It very much depends on what you're selling, of course. We have recently taken on some reps who have sold frames and they've been amazed by the difference in attitude the opticians have towards them now. Opticians seem far more disposed towards having a frinedly chat with us, I suppose because we're not always trying the hard sell on every visit.

I can only speak from experience in the UK, but professionals don't respond well to the 'hard sell', and as such we don't try use those tactics.

Personally, when the people who supply me call, I'm quite happy to listen for a few minutes- what harm can it do?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as John said, there are a lot of different factors......

What truly bugs me are reps that come in WITHOUT an appointment and expect you to drop everything. There I agree with Pence, How Woood!

I have one who comes in every three weeks and just asks me to print out the inventory and he would replace what's missing.....well, what if I don't want to replace certain frame styles?!

Reps should call and make an appointment and remember that there is just so much board space to go around! Be glad to get what you get!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I defintely agree that reps. should make appointments, unfortunately being a one-man office this doesn't help them much as I always seem to have patients coming in when they arrive. I hate to have them make appointments and then not be able to honor my end.

Chip

Bad address email on file 10 Pence Short's Avatar
    Chip,

I always book meetings keeping in mind whenever I walk into a practice the phone starts to ring and 101 patients all require repairs at the same time!! I do WONDERS for business!

It's always worth me leaving enough time spare between my meetings to allow for these things, so I don't get annoyed and have to dash before we've had a chance to meet properly.

At the end of the day you're doing us guys a favour by seeing us and it's not your fault if those damned customers keep coming in...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, a really good rep can be helpful if it gets busy. I don't mind them selling out of the bag if it gets a nice sale. Thankfully, almost all of my reps know that even with an appointment, I can still get busy..and they go with the flow.

Bad address email on file mitchellvision's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been on both sides of the fence and am now a sales rep. I agree that it is better to have an appointment. However, getting that appointment can be a nightmare. It has been difficut to get some frame buyers to return phone calls. If you can never talk to anyone, you can never get an appointment. When I cold call, I am always respectful of whatever is going on and abide with the wishes of the staff. Sometimes that means just leaving a card knowing that I will never get a call back.

The one response that tickles me is that "we are on board management". Does that mean you never evaluate your product or vendors. If we never look at new things, we would be driving the same car that we have always had, we would be wearing the same clothes...you get my drift. I have managed single offices, multiple locations and a franchise manager that provided consulting and training for around 35 offices. I can do more than carry a bag of frames. I have hepled lots of offices improve their bottom line. I have also provided sales training.

Thread Information