Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Base Curve Intolerance

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Agreed, but this is over complicating my point. Pt physiology deems a change in Rx all the time, unrelated to any of those issues.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    This is probably the result of idiotic, bookworm engineer type customers that read too much of something on the internet they haven't a clue about, but then think they are now experts. Once that little seed is planted, it is nearly impossible to satisfying them.
    I'd like to start a pet peeve thread on this topic. An informed consumer does not make them a bad customer. It actually can make them a better customer. They realize your value and the value of the products and service you have in-house and understand they are superior to what the internet can deliver. If the optician would just take time out to study and read, and make sure they are more informed than their consumers, then you can turn these types into customers for life. These types are looking to you for the answers. If they come asking questions that you can't answer, then who is at fault?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Agreed, but this is over complicating my point. Pt physiology deems a change in Rx all the time, unrelated to any of those issues.

Disagree. Respectfully. I do not think any exam-room derived rx can be considered "the truth", without extensive knowledge of how they plan to use the eyewear, and what they are coming from. Mostly applies to presbyopes.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 12-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not disagreeing with that at all. Just saying that you don't want people running around for 5 year old scripts, and getting them filled without a new refraction. Their physiology is likely to change during that period, and that will deem a new Rx (a baseline) from which to start. If you don't have a solid foundation to work from (the new Rx) you'll probably not have much success getting the pt. to see their very best. Or worse, thinking they are seeing their very best, because they trust (or are an uninformed consumer) the entity filing that old, no longer valid Rx.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Since "Normal" human acuity is closer to 20/15, I think *any* acuity found should be written on the Rx. The question is whether it should be Snellen acuity, or something more advanced.
    B
    You are correct but I was just trying to be practicle. If its something that is there only in those cases of diminished accuity, it could spark the Dr. to actually explain to the patient "why". Although most Optometrists are pretty good, I have seen a huge amount of MD's never tell the patient what is going on with their eyes. Exam, chart notes, next.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not disagreeing with that at all. Just saying that you don't want people running around for 5 year old scripts, and getting them filled without a new refraction. Their physiology is likely to change during that period, and that will deem a new Rx (a baseline) from which to start. If you don't have a solid foundation to work from (the new Rx) you'll probably not have much success getting the pt. to see their very best. Or worse, thinking they are seeing their very best, because they trust (or are an uninformed consumer) the entity filing that old, no longer valid Rx.
    Can't disagree here, AustinEyewear

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    And come to think of it, who was able to figure out that putting this guy in a 2 base was gonna solve his problems and how did they do it?
    What were his earlier problem(s)? Maybe someone earlier used a +8.00 base curve with a heavy-wrap frame and then compensated using some of these OptiBoard wrap compensating calculators. It seems that many ECP today have lost sight (he he) of the reasons behind corrected curve lenses.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But then, there is the phylosophy of grind it in just the way he wants it on the base he wants and charge the hell out of him for the "special" job.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i do have a px now that does have a BC sensitivity.

i was left scratching my head until i noticed that the lenses in both of her old zyl frames were flatter than the more curved lenses in her metal frame.

remade the lenses matching the old BC and everything was perfect. When i talked to the lab, the BC was changed to more closely match the curve of the frame. now with flatter lenses added a little face form and were able to keep basically the same look, and the patient was happy. havent had issues with any frame with the correct BC since then.

This was the first case of BC intolerance i actually believed in. i thought it was a phantom explaination to cover up a mistake somewhere along the line.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'd like to start a pet peeve thread on this topic. An informed consumer does not make them a bad customer. It actually can make them a better customer. They realize your value and the value of the products and service you have in-house and understand they are superior to what the internet can deliver. If the optician would just take time out to study and read, and make sure they are more informed than their consumers, then you can turn these types into customers for life. These types are looking to you for the answers. If they come asking questions that you can't answer, then who is at fault?
    Good point - but has a 50% chance of going either way.

However, when a consumer misinterprets web information which is already non-filtered then clouded with manufacturers' marketing jargon, how does a professional respond correctly and intelligently without offending the consumer and losing the sale?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Here's a follow up to the guy with the apparent base curve intolerance. If you remember, he requested his -1.00 be ground into a 2 base lens. I decided to knock him off a cheap pair of frames with stock lenses just to see if he could train himself to develop a tolerance to a more natural curve. Wasn't there when he picked them up and didn't hear from the guy for months until today. He stopped by with his GF for an adjustment. Told me that he can see through them a lot more naturally than the 2 base custom job. Said he noticed instantly that they were better.

Lately I've been wondering a lot about people who could live the rest of their lives based on either horrible information or extremely questionable fitting, people that have been told that they'd never be able to wear contact lenses or that think they can never wear progressives because they've tried them and they suck. It's pretty pathetic.

Thread Information