Thread: Innovations Machine Interface Hanging

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Confused Innovations Machine Interface Hanging

Hey folks,
    Not sure how much anyone will be able to help, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask!

Lately our Innovations Machine Interface has been hanging randomly, maybe once or twice in the run of a day. The Machine Interface becomes non responsive, and the tracer/blocker/generator cannot communicate with the lab software.

When this happens, the rest of the software is still working normally, including innovations new job window, workticket daemon, etc. But The machine interface needs to be terminated manually, and a reboot is necessary to get the interface running again.

I've checked all of the physical connections, and all appears normal.
    There have been no major updates to the OS (Windows), or any other software that coincide with the trouble starting.

I'm hoping that somebody will have some suggestions on a way to resolve this issue without removing/reinstalling the software, as it is configured and fine tuned perfectly for our lab, and I would like to avoid starting over from scratch (especially for something that can be solved by a reboot!).

Thanks in advance for any help

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Make sure it's getting the proper line voltages, both to the unit and inside the unit.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Make sure it's getting the proper line voltages, both to the unit and inside the unit.
    I'm not sure how much that would apply here.
    This seems to be a software only problem, and all physical connections are fine.
    If there was a problem with line voltages, how would a reboot solve the issue? (which it does)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If it uses PC memory, you might want to check it with Memtest to see if you're experiencing a failing memory module.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    You could also make sure the port settings are correct, both in the software and in the machine.

I dont remember the defaults, but I've got my sgx port @ 9600 8 1 N With NO flow control or XON/XOFF options enabled.
    Write Buffer: 2048, Read Buffer: 128, TX @ 1024, RX @ 64.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    #1 are you signed with OCUCO? because they are now the operators and owners of innovations and have great tech support. #2 do not by any means have your lab (hooked to the internet) so to speak, let it run. Only hook your lab to the internet if you need live support from an OCUCO tech. the problem is as simple as un-checking a box most likely or a simple update, plus you will most likely get a tech with a smart accent who really knows their s*$t. just hook your internet up for live support for your lab and nothing else,..keep the kooties out

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks,
    The problem seems to have been resolved, and appears to have been caused by a failing memory module, as per DragonLensmanWV's suggestion.

LensNinja
    , we no longer have a support contract from OCUCO. We maintained the contract for a while, and found that we VERY rarely needed their assistance. While the service and support were exceptional, the cost could not be justified for the <1 time per year that we needed their support. Again, that is not to say that there is any problem with their support.
    As well, they have told us that we can always start a new support contract if we ever require their assistance.

Lately I have been wondering about the lens database updates though. Does anyone know if these are available without a support contract? My login to the ocuco site has expired since the contract was terminated, so I'm assuming no.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    The lens updates (last I checked) required the support contract. Its the only reason that we keep paying it. Now that the lens updates are automatic, its even better.

Thread Information