Thread: One more question

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

One more question

What are the consequences to vision from staring at a computer monitor all day?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Boredom. Indications that one should get a real rather than virtual life.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Yo' oxmoon! I suggest you search on line with Google, using the phrase "computer vision syndrome". Could you do that?

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Gee thanks for your helpful answers. I already know what the general consensus is. Just thought those who are pros in the field of vision might have some additional knowledge. Was I wrong?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee thanks for your helpful answers. I already know what the general consensus is. Just thought those who are pros in the field of vision might have some additional knowledge. Was I wrong?
    You were wrong in thinking that this place had some pros!

Nothing but a bunch of jokesters!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Real consiquences

Actally there are no more consequences that looking at a TV screen constantly. But we have come up with lenses and tints to treat the problem on those that think they have one.

But there are better ways to spend one's time. I know a great many people in the computer repair and software business. Some spend up to 80% of waking hours looking at monitors. None of them have any problems other than the need for normal refractive correction.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ummm....I just started doing a bunch of data imput at my office, and I can tell you that my eyes have been very tired and dry. I'm talking about 5 hours of staring at the screen looking for specific things. Maybe not everyone has this problem, but it's affecting me.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You would have the same symtoms reading a book for the same length of time. When one concentrates on a specific area for a length of time the blink rate slows down. Women should blink 20 times a minitue, men 17. (No I don't know why there's a difference.
    Symtoms: The eyes dry, begin to burn and one gets sleepy. I have also been told that this is how to hypnotize people (getting them to concentrate on a fixed spot without blinking) but I have no knowledge on hypnotism.
    Can be alieviated by looking away and blinking every few minites. Als sitting further away from screen and turning brightness down can help.. When reading books, more light always helps.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 12-08-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would normally agree with that chip, but I read at least 3 hours a day, and some days it's closer to 5 or 6. I know people blink less when they are concentrating, but I've never had a problem when I read. I don't know if it's because I take my glasses off. Maybe it was I was trying to read years worth of patients medication lists written by shakey arthritic hands. Who know.

Although I'm sure the real reason is because I'm a woman.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper If old Albert had had a computer ....................................

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Yo' oxmoon! I suggest you search on line with Google, using the phrase "computer vision syndrome". Could you do that?

As I consider rinselberg as one of OptiBoard's geniuses, I did, and here it is:

Computer vision syndrome (CVS) is a temporary condition resulting from focusing the eyes on a computer display for protracted, uninterrupted periods of time. Some symptoms of CVS include headaches, blurred vision, neck pain, redness in the eyes, fatigue, eye strain, dry, irritated eyes, double vision, polyopia, and difficulty refocusing the eyes. These symptoms can be further aggravated by improper lighting conditions (ie. bright overhead lighting or glare) or air moving past the eyes (e.g. overhead vents, direct air from a fan).

What a world of money to make to correct all those symptoms stated above. What a load of extra sales you could make by finding ways to cure them all without using the OFF switch.

If old Albert had had a computer we all would have one these days without a screen and direct wireless conection to the brainwaves.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Nothing but a bunch of jokesters!

I..I don't know what to say. Nobody's ever quite put it like that before. I don't know what to say.

That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said about me. (at least today).
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Asthenopia, especially with presbyopes. There is also a statistical correlation between close work and myopia.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suspect the "statistical correlation" is due to the fact that myopes see well up close and hyperopes see better at distance. Hense they read and hyperopes are more inclined not to.
    I suspect that before glasses myopes were the tool and weapon makers. Hyperoptes were the ship's captians, hunters, etc.
    There is even a story that one King in Europe had a village that was confined to high myopes so that they would produce high myopes to make jewelry for the rhelm.

Years ago before refractive surgery, Jim Diprey used to say: "We'll make a living as long as these myopes keep going to bed together."

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Years ago before refractive surgery, Jim Diprey used to say: "We'll make a living as long as these myopes keep going to bed together."

Chip
    That's because we actually know what the other looks like up close.

Occupation
    http://www.visionrx.com/library/enc/enc_cvs.asp

How is reading a monitor different from reading a printed page?

Reading a computer screen is hard on your eyes because of the way the characters are formed on the monitor. The video display is made up of pixels, or tiny dots, rather than solid images as on a printed page. Because your eyes cannot "lock" focus on these dots, your eyes must continually focus and refocus to keep the image sharp. This refocusing results in stress to your eye muscles. In addition, your eyes blink less frequently when you are using a computer, causing the eye surface to dry out and become irritated. The irritation makes focusing even more difficult, which can lead to headaches and neck pain.
    Many of the problems related to CVS are ergonomic, relating to the body's relationship to its work environment. For instance, when a monitor is positioned too high, you must open your eyes wide to look up and view it. Therefore, your eyelids are retracted farther than normal and more tears evaporate. On the other hand, if the monitor is low and you are looking down to view it, your eyes will remain moist, reducing the chance of dry eye. According to some studies, eyes produce more tears than normal when looking down.
    Computer Vision Syndrome can be even worse for people who have refractive disorders, binocular vision, accommodative (focusing) disorders, or dry eye.

Children who use computers may be even more susceptible to CVS than adults. Children often keep performing enjoyable tasks, such as computer games, with great concentration for hours with few breaks. This type of prolonged activity without significant breaks can cause eye focusing problems and eye irritation.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    I use a 40" hi-def tv at 6' distance as my main monitor for my research papers to avoid this.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    That was very helpful. Thanks Wes!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note the pictures on the TV are pixels too.
    Anyone notice that most mature women who either change jobs or get thier office upgraded where more than minimal computer use is required have visual complaints. I have never heard this from a man.
    Also notice all the computer related sydromes we have come up with to treat?

Chip

I'm waiting for us to come up with cell phone visual complaints, that we can develop syndromes and lenses for.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Note the pictures on the TV are pixels too.
    Anyone notice that most mature women who either change jobs or get thier office upgraded where more than minimal computer use is required have visual complaints. I have never heard this from a man.
    Also notice all the computer related sydromes we have come up with to treat?

Chip

I'm waiting for us to come up with cell phone visual complaints, that we can develop syndromes and lenses for.
    Of course they're pixels, Chip. But with MORE of them, in LARGER print, FARTHER away, it's not such a problem because the letter images appear more like solid lines, and the distance reduces the required accommodation.

Heavy computer and cellphone usage are the norm these days, so you may as well learn what you need to know to help your patients to better deal with the technology rather than just complain about the technology.
    Last edited by Wes; 12-09-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: trying to be more even tempered.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Chip, the main reason older women have a problem with prolonged monitor use is because of their declining levels of estrogen. It is estrogen that provides women with moisture associated with femininity but also provides moisture for eyes etc. Even siliva production decreases in women when hormone loss get underway. And it is estrogen that keeps eyes moist enough for CLs to be comfortable. When it is gone, so is the ability to wear lenses comfortably. It is important for women to replace all steroid hormones to optimal levels as they decline because they are critical to overall health, just as men should. Aging men have their own array of symptoms from hormone loss, one of the main ones being heart attacks and death.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :)

Thread Information