Thread: luxvison LM45

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

luxvison LM45

I just came accross a portable hand held lensometer LM Luxvison-45, it works well but instructions are not clear on how to dot lenses, I'm thinking there may be an attachment for that, or it's broke off, anyone ever use one of these? I tryed going on line and found the lensometer but said nothing about on how to dot the lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think this particular model has that capability.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I don't think this particular model has that capability.
    it sure seems that way except that the instuction points to a some lever or somthing (thats where its not clear) and I cant figure this out the picture on instuctions online and the one that comes with the lensometer are the same,
    have you used one of these lensometers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My apologies for the delay in responding.............reality sometimes gets in the way of virtuality

I personally have not found a need for that type of lensometer...they are produced for maximum portability, minimum weight, and space requirements, therefore, I have only seen them, in use, in friend's offices. They are usually sprinkled in exam rooms, for quick access for power checking, and dotting the lens is not a priority.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    My apologies for the delay in responding.............reality sometimes gets in the way of virtuality

I personally have not found a need for that type of lensometer...they are produced for maximum portability, minimum weight, and space requirements, therefore, I have only seen them, in use, in friend's offices. They are usually sprinkled in exam rooms, for quick access for power checking, and dotting the lens is not a priority.
    I need to dot lenses to verify optical centers & vertical ht's. I do a lot of out of the office work so this potrable lensometer would help me, it's fine to neutralize but I can't check oc's without the dots

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile I need to dot lenses to verify optical centers.......................................

Quote Originally Posted by rubunzo View Post

I need to dot lenses to verify optical centers & vertical ht's. I do a lot of out of the office work so this potrable lensometer would help me, it's fine to neutralize but I can't check oc's without the dots

There used to be a time when no dot machine was used to mark lenses, because they did not exist. Not even a lensometer was needed to measure lenses, a trial set of lenses, a protractor and a yellow grease pencil was needed and you could do it as exact as you do it today with the fanciest equipment.

We all use and learn the newest techniques but have no clue why and how they work.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There used to be a time when no dot machine was used to mark lenses, because they did not exist. Not even a lensometer was needed to measure lenses, a trial set of lenses, a protractor and a yellow grease pencil was needed and you could do it as exact as you do it today with the fanciest equipment.

We all use and learn the newest techniques but have no clue why and how they work.
    yes thats true, Ben Franklin used a stone to make the bifocal and that worked well but times changed and its better to move on to the new fanciest equipment, I still need to find out if this lensometer comes with an attacthment to dot lenses when I work away from the shop.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I've read (online) it does not have lens marking ability. You can easy enough check vert. imbalance with the frame aligning bar on the lensometer. To check DPD and VPD I think you'd have to use part of Chris' advice. Triangulate by marking the lens with a grease pencil around the lens eyepiece/holder.

Just out of curiosity, when, other than lens duplication, would you need to check it "away from your shop"? Could you not leave markings on the lens upon verification, (I presume at your shop) only to be removed at final dispense?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    From what I've read (online) it does not have lens marking ability. You can easy enough check vert. imbalance with the frame aligning bar on the lensometer. To check DPD and VPD I think you'd have to use part of Chris' advice. Triangulate by marking the lens with a grease pencil around the lens eyepiece/holder.

Just out of curiosity, when, other than lens duplication, would you need to check it "away from your shop"? Could you not leave markings on the lens upon verification, (I presume at your shop) only to be removed at final dispense?
    a large part of pt's I work with are at rest homes,hospital or just can't leave there home so I go to them, what I been doing is taking the glasses to my shop where the lensometer is and then go back but with this portable one
    (less expesive type) I can do it there with out leaving and saving gas and time,and it fits in my tool bag.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please excuse my ignorance. But, if the completed Rx is delivered/made at your shop, can't you mark them up there and remove them once final adjustments are made? Many do that with every patient.

I do nursing homes and hospitals too, but can only imagine the benefit of a lensometer "on site" necessary for duplication (which I have no problem with.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance. But, if the completed Rx is delivered/made at your shop, can't you mark them up there and remove them once final adjustments are made? Many do that with every patient.

I do nursing homes and hospitals too, but can only imagine the benefit of a lensometer "on site" necessary for duplication (which I have no problem with.)
    before I place the order I like to check there glasses and compare with rx or if they have been dispensed already and somthing is not right I can go verify without making two trips

Thread Information