Thread: Davis Vision Strike Nears

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Davis Vision Strike Nears

Davis Vision associates have been working without a contract since March of this year. Contract negotiations have broken down and now a strike seems unavoidable. The company wants to reduce the associates incentive program which generates most of thier pay. Each associate will lose somewhere in the neighborhood of around 1500 dollars a month. This only affects the facility at the Phiadelphia laboratory and not Davis as a whole. The Philadelphia laboratory processes around 4500 pairs of eyewear per day and employs approxamately 100 associates. If you have Davis Vision or are a provider expect long turn around times on all orders after January 1st 2012.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So.......are you offering jobs?

Are you looking for a job?

Why is this in the job board forum.......and more importantly, why should we care?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obedon View Post
    Davis Vision associates have been working without a contract since March of this year. .
    Oh the horror, oh the horror!!

I have employees that have been working with me for 20 years without a contract.

And...?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are you for Real???

Don't look to the 3 O's for sympathy. Vision insurence has destroyed our industry. I hope they all implode and vanish from the earth. The 3 O's need to go on strike and demand more realistic reimbursements for our goods and services. If enough of us say enough is enough we can force some major changes to the system. Why is it that the insurence plans make millions and the 3 O's have to play games to make a living. Screw all the Vision Insurence plans and may this be the beginning of their end!!!
    TonyD

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Don't look to the 3 O's for sympathy. Vision insurence has destroyed our industry. I hope they all implode and vanish from the earth. The 3 O's need to go on strike and demand more realistic reimbursements for our goods and services.
    Tony,

Actually, the 3Os have gone on strike, and whether they realize it or not, it has been effective! This is one of the reasons that Davis and some of the other bottom scrapers are running into the issues they are now facing.

There are no Davis providers w/in 35 miles of my office, and I certainly don't take it. Well, what company (employer) is going want them for a vision plan? Add that to the fact that many have lost jobs and no longer have coverage of any kind, and you have the perfect storm for the demise of companies such as Davis, Optum, and other "scrapers".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I commend you on your decision not to participate with Davis. I have been in this industry for over 40 years and can't understand how we allowed non optical companies into our businesses. They dictate pricing for our goods and services in exchange for what?? If I was 20 years younger I would advertise to the people without insurence. There are certainly many , many of them out there. I would inform them that they are paying for someone elses eyeglasses. They are the only people paying full price. Let the chains have all the insurence plans. I'd lower my prices toi a realistic level and advertise it. Why go to a chain and pay $300.00 for a Varilux Comfort2 when you can come to me and pay $225.00. We as independant practitioners need to join forces in order to force the changes we need and want. TonyD

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I have been in this industry for over 40 years and can't understand how we allowed non optical companies into our businesses.
    It was pure greed; and (mostly)not by opticians, but those that feared opticians taking their markets. In trying to corner the market, they handed their livelihood over to outsiders.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They made a deal with the devil and the rest of the industry suffers. Thanks Guys!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the Davis lab unionized?

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Davis Union

Yes Davis Vision labs are union local 408 in tne Philadelphia lab. The problem with Davis vision is there is no training in thier labs what so ever. Associates there were working at Wawa last week and making your eyeglasses this week nice huh? Furhtermore they seem to resist all efforts (management that is) to offer any training. The cycle is the person who has been there for 4 or 5 months begins to train the new associates comming in unfortunately the person training the new associate has never been trained and on and on it goes. They use 5 man teams in finish to make the glasses and are given 73 jobs an hour to complete before getting the next hours work. They get 8 pulls of 73 per day at Davis quality is job none and the ONLY thing they care about is the number of jobs shipped period.They associates start at 6 am and typically get out around 330. They work mandatory saturdays from January thru May. Its a grueling pace. Davis does not want quality how else could anyone explain how they would like someone to check 73 jobs an hour plus scope all the single vision lenses at the beginning of the pull plus help open jobs and various other task. This is why Davis jobs come into provider the way they do management is forcing associates to hurry hurry hurry!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Is the Davis lab unionized?

Thread Information