Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refund Policy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Refund Policy

Just asking what everyone's refund policy is on eyewear and if the policy is posted in the store?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our Policy: If they want one, we give it to them...cherrfully.
    No matter what.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Our policy - if you want a refund, you get one, but you are then barred from returning. After all, if we've already worked hard to resolve your problem and you won't accept help, who needs you? We give them a refund, tell them since you won't work with us you can't come back, and we refer them to a local OD's office who just might be the most expensive in the state.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our Policy is not posted but, if a patient asks, I assure them that anyone who is not wholly satisfied with their experience and eyewear from us will indeed get a full 100% refund if one wishes. It's very...very rare that we issue a refund.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Funny thing you bring this up today! Monday morning 2 state representatives walked in, looked around a minute, then pulled out some paper work to issue me a fine for not having a refund policy conspiciously posted for customers to see!!! They wound up not giving the fine, me being a gentleman and stating I was unaware of this NEW LAW.

SO ANYONE WORKING IN THE STATE OF NY POST A REFUND POLICY. THEY SAY REPS WILL BE WALKING INTO RETAILERS (THIS MONTH SPECTACLE SHOPS I GUESS) AND ISSUING FINES IF IT IS NOT DISPLAYED

So now we printed one out...

On all NON-RX eyewear: We will gladly give a full refund or an exchange within TWO weeks from date of purchase, after that two week period we will exchange only, NO REFUNDS, for an additional TWO weeks from the date of purchase, for a total of FOUR weeks.

On all RX eyewear: We will gladly give you a full refund, exchange, or an RX-change (at no charge), within THIRTY days from date of purchase. After those thirty days, exchanges and RX-changes will vary upon the type of lenses used. There will be NO REFUNDS after the thirty day perioD.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No refunds. We will restyle in a reasonable amount of time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The official policy is 30 days no questions asked. My policy is if there's a vision problem, I'll refund cheerfully. Vision problem is defined as doctor change.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Refunds we will generally give quite cheerfully once we have exhausted all refit and remake possibilities--or if the patient is just bound and determined to be unhappy.

Canceled orders are our bigger problem. We have highly visible signs in the dispensary:

"Eyeglass lens orders are highly customized and can not be canceled once they have been placed. A restocking fee may be assessed on stopped orders."
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whatever seems honorable under the circumstances.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Whatever seems honorable under the circumstances.

Chip
    Absolutely the best answer as long as both parties are honorable; a situation that doesn't always obtain.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No refunds, cancellations or after the fact order changes.

This is posted, along with our other dispensary policies about POFs, repair charges, etc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Due to the time involved and the custom nature of eyewear; All Sales are Final.

This is posted, on the signed receipt and the store receipt. If there is an optical problem we are better served to solve than anybody else and we do not count buyers remorse as an optical issue.

We are a luxury retailer and all sales are final. I was just in Vegas and bought some shirts at a store called Billionare Couture; if it is good for a Billionare it should be good for my store as well.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thinking back, (and I am in no way a "luxury retailer" of frames), for the half-dozen or so refunds I've given out in 34 years of business, at least 3/4's of those clients subsequently came back for more purchases, and have remained long term clients. Since I don't percieve any real pattern here, therefore no fire that needs dousing, in our store we will continue to entertain and give out a refund to any client who desires one.

Your mileage may vary.

B

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am absolutely a proponent of the idea that we are selling for the future. Most of our refund patients also return. If you consistently sell for the future, keeping customer satisfaction in favor of a few more bucks and/or a hard-sell approach, in several years you'll find your patient base almost maintenance-free.

The only repeat business we should lose is 1) patients who pass away, 2) patients who move away, and 3) patients who are impossible to please and who are gladly allowed to take their complaining/insane/abusive business elsewhere.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We also gave full refunds until just recently. We seemed to have a rash of patients who were unwilling to work with us regarding script or style. The common thread was I just don't have time for this, give me my money back. Upon evaluation they were outside Rx's and most did not live in the area. We have never had difficulty with the patients we had worked with and will continue to give full refunds to those who make an honest attempt to clear up whatever problem they may have. Even after multiple remakes for whatever reason. Our new policy states that prescription lenses are custom made and full refunds are not possible, we will gladly refund on frames returned in good condition with in 60 days. We will still look at a case by case basis and do the best thing for our long term outlook.

This is oprinted on the back of every reciept and we mention it to every patient.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Our Policy: If they want one, we give it to them...cherrfully.
    No matter what.

B
    Thanks Barry, Its good to see someone offer this. I found that the more generous I was the few refunds I had to issue. But by offering a refund, i cannot tell you how much patient and staff stress I reduced. Its often far better to cut your losses early than try to please some impossible patients.

I bet you have to issue very few refunds, and when you do, you still get referals from those patients.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have had people I actually had to force a refund on them. They were wanting me to restyle them every month, and always complaining about everything (the frame I looked at didn't have this clear spot[demi-amber] in the same place as the one I looked at!) even though it was the exact sample they looked at. When they came back in again wanting it done for the fourth time, I quickly wrote out a check and when they gave me the glasses to take in the back, I brought them out a check and gave it to them. I used the immortal line by one of our Optiboarders , "I'm declining the opportunity to disappoint you again." Then I put the glasses into a zip lock frame bag and pounded them into rubble with a hammer in front of her. "Hey! Those are my glasses!" To which I replied, "No, I just gave you your money back - they're MY glasses."
    Really glad to see her go.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hahahaha thats great. How about the customers that come back after all is ready and ask to see the "floor model" of the frame they chose?? They were under the impression we ordered a brand new frame for them, for every person, every job

errr...ummm....ma'am i'm sorry the floor model is not here anymore, it just so happens to be that yesterday someone purchased that model right off the shelf.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "You're using the floor model?"
    Not until it undergoes a thorough 10 point inspection and cleaning.
    "Oh good, cuz that would be just gross..."
    -says the customer with a cheese crusted frame and green notepads.

Policy:
    Money back if they deserve it

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hard to believe that those who give "no refunds under any circumstances" never made a mistake, never found it advisable to have a good customer happy even if he was un-happy with the present job. My, my I wish I was one of these perfect people.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post
    "Oh good, cuz that would be just gross..."
    No grosser than when they buy their shoes

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Thanks Barry, Its good to see someone offer this. I found that the more generous I was the few refunds I had to issue. But by offering a refund, i cannot tell you how much patient and staff stress I reduced. Its often far better to cut your losses early than try to please some impossible patients.

I bet you have to issue very few refunds, and when you do, you still get referals from those patients.
    Yes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Hard to believe that those who give "no refunds under any circumstances" never made a mistake, never found it advisable to have a good customer happy even if he was un-happy with the present job. My, my I wish I was one of these perfect people.

Chip
    If it is our fault we fix it; but how does a refund solve the issue? If we sell a product that we cannot deliver, it is the customers choice and normally they just want glasses. So we restyle and life is good.
    I get about 1-2 per year that want a refund and just because you get nasty or are crazy; that does not give them the right to be treated special. The only returns we get are some plano frames that they try to bring elsewhere and they will not do the lenses for them. These folks were told about the policy and that we can do the RX lenses if their place cannot; most of the time they just stay with us, but it is not my fault they are too cheap to do it right. I will exchange the fraame for them, but that does not appeaze them usually and there is nothing else we will do for them. They usually came in 5 times and shopped us everywhere before they realized we are the only ones who carry the frame they want.

If it is a lens change, frame change or rx change we normally do it at n/c; but if they yell at us and blame us we charge them 1/2 for the lenses. After number 2 they all pay for the lenses at 1/2 off. This can happen with outside Rx's and the person is very happy to pay 1/2 at this point.

So if it is our fault we pay; if it is not our fault we may charge 1/2 depending on the situation and the attitude of the client.

It needs to be win/win or why bother!

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sort of agree with you Craig, Although... If we have to change an RX that was from an outside doctor I tell the patient....

"given the circumstances im going to call the lab whom fabricated your lenses and really try to get a significantly discount set. I'ts just not fair that a doctor makes a mistake and you have to pay for it!" (shaking my head in disgust while saying this)

Then....3 days later I call them to pickup there new re-made glasses and say...

"Guess what! Sorry for the wait, but I had to jump through a few hoops and was able to speak to a lab manager whom i've known for years and he offered to send us these lenses for free! He's doing a really huge favor! They are just charging shipping which is about $10 bucks"

I found by using these simple lines the customer realizes that I went above and beyond my call of duty to the fullest just to save them money. Me making money was not my goal here, satisfying them was. The customer understands that I could of easaily charged them full price, but was really sincere and worked hard for them. They are always so grateful and thankful and say they will send all there friends here, they've never seen service like that...etc....

The truth of the matter is they really do tell everyone. So many customers say they were referred by those clients.

***DISCLAIMER*** This is only beneficial on stock sv products in which the "shipping" charge from the patient will cover the lens, with pal's and other lenses these statements may vary ***

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyEyes View Post
    I sort of agree with you Craig, Although... If we have to change an RX that was from an outside doctor I tell the patient....

"given the circumstances im going to call the lab whom fabricated your lenses and really try to get a significantly discount set. I'ts just not fair that a doctor makes a mistake and you have to pay for it!" (shaking my head in disgust while saying this)

Then....3 days later I call them to pickup there new re-made glasses and say...

"Guess what! Sorry for the wait, but I had to jump through a few hoops and was able to speak to a lab manager whom i've known for years and he offered to send us these lenses for free! He's doing a really huge favor! They are just charging shipping which is about $10 bucks"

I found by using these simple lines the customer realizes that I went above and beyond my call of duty to the fullest just to save them money. Me making money was not my goal here, satisfying them was. The customer understands that I could of easaily charged them full price, but was really sincere and worked hard for them. They are always so grateful and thankful and say they will send all there friends here, they've never seen service like that...etc....

The truth of the matter is they really do tell everyone. So many customers say they were referred by those clients.

***DISCLAIMER*** This is only beneficial on stock sv products in which the "shipping" charge from the patient will cover the lens, with pal's and other lenses these statements may vary ***
    so you only gouged them once on stock SV product, how noble!

Thread Information