Thread: Average workload of edgers?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Average workload of edgers?

So i know this number can and will vary greatly from practice to practice. I would like to hear from other privately owned practices that do all edging in house, whats the average number of jobs do you guys cut per day? Is your lab-tech maxing out at 10-15 jobs? I just started doing all the edging again in this practice. The guy we just terminated was pumping out 10-12 a day, we thought he was slow. Now I am edging at least 25+ jobs a day (still keeping an eye on workmanship and cosmetics) . Is this industry standard? I think we are fortunate to have a much larger workload than most practices, but I may be wrong. I have nothing to compare to, any answers from independent practices would help alot. Its just a question I ask myself....

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That would be a good topic for the "Eyecare professionals" section .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kappa CTD
    50% plastic, 40% poly, 10% HI
    30% Metal frames, 30% plastic frames, 10% 3PM, 30% Logo.
    A dedicated optician/tech 35-45 jobs a day and I would not call him super speedy!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have two offices, with a single edger between them. Works out to be about 20-30 jobs a day. The guy who runs it is also the main Optician in his office, so he manages that plus doing most of the dispensing. He does have help for layout/final check etc now though (Only recently, however!).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will never forget this. When I just started in this field I worked for a chain.
    There was one middle age guy working as a tech.
    This was his production:
    8 hours day
    2 edgers Horizon II patern edger for Poly/CR39 and Edgemaster II for Glas/Plastic.
    Plastic 50%, Poly 20%, Glass15%, HI 15%
    40%plastic frames, 50% metal, 5% logo, 5% drill
    No adjustments or dispense but placed all stock orders.
    25% 1 hour jobs!!!!!

50 Jobs A day like clock work!

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyEyes View Post
    So i know this number can and will vary greatly from practice to practice. I would like to hear from other privately owned practices that do all edging in house, whats the average number of jobs do you guys cut per day? Is your lab-tech maxing out at 10-15 jobs? I just started doing all the edging again in this practice. The guy we just terminated was pumping out 10-12 a day, we thought he was slow. Now I am edging at least 25+ jobs a day (still keeping an eye on workmanship and cosmetics) . Is this industry standard? I think we are fortunate to have a much larger workload than most practices, but I may be wrong. I have nothing to compare to, any answers from independent practices would help alot. Its just a question I ask myself....
    We average about 22 a day. The uncuts we receive are processed the same day. The most we have processed in one day is 47. 10-12 jobs is a slow kick back sorta number.
    Pez:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would say 35-45 jobs per day is a lot if the tech has to do his own lensometry before and after, mark, block, edge, drill and assemble, inspect and especially if most of the work is multifocal.

We process more than that, but we have multiple techs at different stations.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    if an office is edging 40+ jobs a day they should really think about purchasing a second edger. With two edgers you should be able to do 10/ hour

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    With a 25% rate of full surface jobs and 75% "edged only" jobs one should be able to do ~60 jobs/day on modern 3 axis surfacing and patternless tracing/edging systems systems in a 8-10hr. day. (you definitely will feel like you have put-in a days work though) 35-45 should be a piece of cake. Reduce this by 10-20% if you are having to do your own final inspetion.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for your information, I was actually just looking for these numbers myself! Now I have a jump point!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our tech does about 25-35/day, but he also surfaces. I think some days he focuses on surfacing and some days edging only. When I run the lab as his backup (vacations etc), I can only get out about 15 jobs a day but I am also answering optical calls and dispensing.. plus, I'm just flat out slow in the lab! I do his final inspection though.

Paula
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    15 jobs per day isn't horrible. If they are easier package single vision jobs, 20 isn't unreachable on a good Santinelli or AIT edger. We cast lenses in house, which does slow things down because of all the multi-tasking with that process. If it were just blocking, edging, & final inspection, I would say 15 to 20 per day is a good benchmark. some techs get flustered & start destroying a lot of good lenses when they are pushed...but most of us are multi-tasking with phone calls, pt needs & doctor requests, so If a tech is left back there to edge exclusively on a good machine, 10 to 12 is pretty weak. 25 plus in a day is pretty sick. Hang a star on that!!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had 3 edgers. Hit 12-15/hr on a good day, finishing about 80-120 total/day. Now, 10/day is a good average on 1 edger.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yeah...there's going to be a spread due to the actual work the tech does. Is he doing layout and blocking as well? Finish inspection?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I would say 35-45 jobs per day is a lot if the tech has to do his own lensometry before and after, mark, block, edge, drill and assemble, inspect and especially if most of the work is multifocal.

We process more than that, but we have multiple techs at different stations.
    I do about max 20, we have 2 offices and one lab, but I also have to mark, block, edge, inspect, etc. and a lot of times, I have to wait for the uncuts to come. We stock single vision, but not multifocal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The other issue is type of material and AR, if your heavy in Trivex the machine can run a lot slower. Slick AR's will require some machines to run slower. Drill mounts, again slower. Metal grooves? A little slower again.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Any experienced Technician worth his salt, should be looking at mounting an average of 50 - 60 jobs per day. Based on 8 hours. Mixture of all frame types. Including marking up, checking and cleaning.

Unless he has a Nidek edger ! Then 40 jobs per day.

I would not employ a technician who could not produce this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyEyes View Post
    You will find this is a very difficult number to pin down, for all of the above stated reasons, including whether tasks include repairs, and setting up inventory for display, or shipping and receiving.

I know that some days, I can barely get anything done, in a timely fashion, due to interruptions, requests, or phone calls. The guy you terminated, may have been slow, but for a reason.......I hope not deliberate.

Sometime, one particular piece of equipment can slow down the whole operation, or another staff member may be placing demands on another staff member to assist.....causing delays in work progress.

I am glad that you have "upped the productivity".
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information