Thread: Silicone pads turning green

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Silicone pads turning green

Does any one know what actually causes silicone pads to turn green? I notice that the pads on titanium frames do not turn green, but, the area around the plastic core turns black. So, I assume that nickel or copper has something to do with them turning green. Some pads last for a long time while others discolor quite rapidly. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks, Terry Agin

Rising Star
    Green is the color of copper oxide (rust).
    Wes Trayner

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since I didn't get much response to this, I'll ask this. What do you tell someone that comes in and has green pads on a frame they bought from you a 6 months ago, that they paid $200 for? I'm sure you don't tell them it is rusting.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Good question from CME4SPECS, and Wes is right. Copper causes the green.

I would charge $20 more to "upgrade" my customer's nose pad with "non-oxidized" nose pad stud, such as all rubber pads, or the one with titanium stud.

There are two companies in Japan offer superior nose pads, pad arms. Please allow me to search around my brief case and I will post their information later.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Please check the web:

www2.interbroad.or.jp/taketana ------Tanaka Production Co.

and

www.sun-rayosa.co.jp ----------------SASAMATA CO.

They both offer execellent titanium pad arms, studs, and nose pads. All rust-free!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell the customer its the Face Cheese!!!:D

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bad news, I'm afraid. You see this in pads with no metalic parts. Appearently the metals of the frame combined with chemicals in sweat. facial oils, and salts can give this effect and it will imbibe into all synthetic pads, at least of the soft variety.

Solution: Just clean the frame and replace the pad. And yeah, you will have to do it again some day for the same patient.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I believe that the green is actually a type of mold growing on the pads.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile nosepads

Actually all of you are right under different circumstances. Depending on what the nose pad is made of and what the post is made of and then also the screw itself.
    .....Silicone pads themselves being pourous in there nature, will cause the effect of the various chemicals leaching into the pad itself, plus as Darryl stated mold growing on the outside also.
    .....Hard nose pads with regular metal backs will turn because of the copper in them, as will the screw also. A hard nose pad with a polycarbonate back will not usually turn , but the screw will.
    .....Also coming into play is the pad arm material itself, so if you had the non-pourous pad with the poly back and a titanium screw, the pad arm holder might cause the problem.
    .....However when all is said and done, you will notice that a lot of this problem is caused by people who just do not clean thier glasses properly, and these are the ones that come in with so much stuff on the pad and pad arm that no matter what you sold them, the buildup will be there.
    .....In answer to your question, as Chip stated figure your going to have to replace them once in awhile and set up a schedule for the patient to come back in. Nose pads are cheap and it is probably one of the cheapest ways of advertising your services. It gets them back in the store, they think you are wonderful and you now have a chance to sell them or show them new products that have come in. Ever sold a pair of glasses later on because you changed someones nose pads and they came back in appreciation, i have, many , many times.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

According to my friend, Bernie, the chemist . . .

Bernie says:
    "We all have copper and acid and stuff in our chemistry. It doesn't take much for copper oxide and sulphates to form with oxygen hanging around and a little of this and a little of that."
    Throw in a little fungus among us and ....wallah!"

He also said: "You oughta see what goes on in the casket!"

Bernie's really weird!

Green is a nice color...if your Irish

OK, here's the deal. They frame is corroding! It is a result of a chemical reaction between the patient, and the frame itself. Most frames have a finish or plating on them wich is over the frame alloy itself. Alot of these metal's are reactive to certain peoples body chemistry. That is why some people can only wear gold or platinum jewlery, (low reactivity). As the plating can tend to be rather thin in the recessed hole that the nose pad mounts into. It wears away sooner in some cases. So it sounds like you have an inexpensive frame and a person with high acidity together. A European made frame in a monel will be much slower in developing this problem. However, the best solution is a "true" titanium frame, (beta-ti, pure ti) of European manufacture.

Good luck,

Mark

ps......keep a good ultrasonic cleaner on hand!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My answer to my patients is usually thus:

Nose pads are like tires on a car. It doesn't matter if you by a $90,000. Viper or a $1.95 Yugo....you still have to change the tires from time to time.:bbg:

I specialize in pediatrics. We teach kids, at the time of puberty, to start CLEANING the nose pads with an old toothbrush (not a sibling's!).
    Years ago, I saw a three-piece mounting where the bridge looked like a unifit! Cleaned all the guck off and had a perfectly preserved, very ornate, bridge piece. Put it back on the guy. . .and he didn't even notice. Swore none of "my kids" would be so remiss.
    The analogy to tires previously posted was great. . . just something that periodically needs rotation!

Thread Information