Thread: Telus Health Solutions?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Telus Health Solutions?

Anyone recently recieved a letter from telus about Online Claims Submission, apparently they allow great west life at the moment, anyone using this service at the moment?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    me, I threw it in the garbage.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    me, I threw it in the garbage.
    Tried signing up, have never been able to log on, apparently they only support IE, and gave up on them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I signed up and have done a few claims.The whole claim process is inefficient and complicated, especially when compared to the Alberta Blue Cross system.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have it set up for both our offices. It works... but it's not simple. Especially compared to Green Shield and Blue Cross' online submission sites. Very fast payment though, which you don't see too often with these things.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    I signed up and have done a few claims.The whole claim process is inefficient and complicated, especially when compared to the Alberta Blue Cross system.
    This....
    I was absolutely floored that their system is so complicated and awkward to use. In this day and age? really?

Also, we found that often, the cheque would be sent to the customer after taking their new eye-glasses home. Not one of them came back saying "gee, this $700 cheque showed up, it must be for you." We've since quit billing through them and just print an extra receipt so that the customer can deal with them their selves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    This....
    I was absolutely floored that their system is so complicated and awkward to use. In this day and age? really?

Also, we found that often, the cheque would be sent to the customer after taking their new eye-glasses home. Not one of them came back saying "gee, this $700 cheque showed up, it must be for you." We've since quit billing through them and just print an extra receipt so that the customer can deal with them their selves.
    Another stupid idea..........brought to you by the incompetents that make up the Canadian optical insurer industry!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This....
    Also, we found that often, the cheque would be sent to the customer after taking their new eye-glasses home.
    I can vouch for this. It's happened more than once to us as well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    This....

$700.00 chq??!! That's outstanding coverage. Most benefit plans for vision cover $200. max.
    But really, "assigned benefits" is a chump game. The insurers have a lot of ways of reducing benefits after the initial submission, including "spontaneous re-adjudication". Good luck chasing down your patient to recoup that.
    Even most dentists (+60%) now require payment at time of service. You are doing enough by submitting the claim for the client, but you shouldn't assume any third party liability.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know of at least one family that received about $700 in beniffits, and I have a feeling it was more. I don't really care; it's not my business, they weren't my claims, the cheques weren't sent to me, i've seen coverage up to $600 year (can you say Teacher's Union?), lots of people have "health spending accounts" in the hundreds of dollars amount, and there was a bit of hyperbole there.... so, whatever, the point was that even though we were trying to provide an additional service to our clients, it kinda back fired and our dispensary lost thousands of dollars over the summer. Probably close to $2000 or $3000 before we figured out what was going on.
    Now I tell our clients that we "no longer accept direct billing for certain plans, we weren't getting paid, there were too many problems with it and if they don't like it, they should complain to their insurance provider.... sorry."

What really astounded me was that the system was so complicated to use. There is absolutely no excuse or reason for that type of thing to be so difficult. It's flat out ridiculous.

Billing for Alberta Blue Cross is dead easy. Takes about five minutes and there are never any problems.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Somtimes when you bill it will state: submitted for further processing. You will have no idea what the persons coverage is, but it will be submitted. There is no way of telling what the person's balance is unless you call GWL and that is time consuming.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I even didn't read it. I threw it away. What is this letter about?

Last edited by Resojus4; 07-12-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Thread Information