Thread: Ohio Eyeglass Expiration ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ohio Eyeglass Expiration ?

I have read through the Ohio revised code looking for an expiration date for an eyeglass Rx and was surprised to find I can't even find an expiration date for contact lenses. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do you want one?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Why do you want one?
    It's always good to know the applicable state and federal laws governing your profession.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My point is that I hear so many opticians say it's illegal to fill a contact lens Rx after a year and a spectacle Rx after 2 years and yet there is no mention of an expiration in the law. In fact state law specifically allows a licensed optician to duplicate a patients old Rx. Just wondered where they are getting their idea on Rx expiration. I know every OD has always required yearly exams to re-fill a contact Rx but must OMD's would like 2 years. Neither of these is a law but office policy.Most of the chains have a policy of 2 years requires a new exam before making glasses but that is not a law but policy.

I think I found where most of this is coming from. It's the Fairness to contact len consumer's Act.
    http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...rs-and-sellers

This says nothing about spectacles, however. The contact lens federal law says DR's cannot put an expiration date of "less" than 1 year without medical reason to pt's health.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 11-16-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Wes;403152]It's always good to know the applicable state and federal laws governing your profession.[/QUOTE

I will add to that also your, (whatever profession you are) BOARD RULES.

UNDERSTAND THE DIFFRENCE IN

1. FEDERAL STATUES aka laws

2. STATE STATUES aka laws

3. Professional BOARD RULES

4. And how the company/office/Dr you work for/with wants a Rx treated.

Once you take it upon yourself to look at these items on the federal, state, and board web sites, understand them compleatly, you will no longer rely on hersay. Then others will come to you for the answer.

Occupation
    [QUOTE=CCGREEN;403173]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    It's always good to know the applicable state and federal laws governing your profession.[/QUOTE

I will add to that also your, (whatever profession you are) BOARD RULES.

UNDERSTAND THE DIFFRENCE IN

1. FEDERAL STATUES aka laws

2. STATE STATUES aka laws

3. Professional BOARD RULES

4. And how the company/office/Dr you work for/with wants a Rx treated.

Once you take it upon yourself to look at these items on the federal, state, and board web sites, understand them compleatly, you will no longer rely on hersay. Then others will come to you for the answer.
    Good points.

Know what's annoying? When someone asks a specific question about a specific state law, e.g: Ohio, New York, North Carolina; and a responder will reply with the answer that applies to Mississippi or Canada or some other locality not in question. What's more annoying is when they respond with their opinion of what the law OUGHT to be or just state their opinion as FACT. Worse still, is when OBers give advice that's quasi-legal in their own state that would cause the person being advised to lose her license in her own state.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    My point is that I hear so many opticians say it's illegal to fill a contact lens Rx after a year and a spectacle Rx after 2 years and yet there is no mention of an expiration in the law. In fact state law specifically allows a licensed optician to duplicate a patients old Rx. Just wondered where they are getting their idea on Rx expiration. I know every OD has always required yearly exams to re-fill a contact Rx but must OMD's would like 2 years. Neither of these is a law but office policy.Most of the chains have a policy of 2 years requires a new exam before making glasses but that is not a law but policy.

I think I found where most of this is coming from. It's the Fairness to contact len consumer's Act.
    http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...rs-and-sellers

This says nothing about spectacles, however. The contact lens federal law says DR's cannot put an expiration date of "less" than 1 year without medical reason to pt's health.
    We are perfectly capable of filling an old Rx in Texas that doesn't have a expiration date on it. We are also perfectly capable of handling a refraction or full exam. However, it if the Rx is old, and at the risk of the pt. walking and losing the business, we advise pt to at least get a refraction. Anything else would be a dis-service to that individual - what if it turns out their Rx has changed ? They just spent a ton of money on lenses when they could have insured them self with an inexpensive refraction. Now that I think about it, pushing ahead with filling an old Rx is somewhat analogous to trying to not give a Pt their Rx upon exam payment. Which one is really doing the pt. the most disservice? Pt can always call to get Rx, but if their newly purchased lenses don't work because their Rx has changed, then pt is hosed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The premise is that they are "happy" with their present Rx, aka "good enough". We suggest it doesn't pay to settle for good enough, when a $55 refraction is a simple appointment away. Rarely do they squawk from advice meant as best for them. If they charge ahead as present Rx, and it isn't working as they expected, we can always refract after and fix. Simple. And gives us an opportunity to have them see the wisdom hidden in our advice. Either way, its a win-win for our credulity and emphasis on only wanting the best for them. I tell them that's why they come to us in the first place. At times when they don'y want to, or feel they can't afford "the best" and go elswhere, that's OK too. My job, as I communicate to them, is to ALWAYS deliver the best. They can count on that!

B

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry: That's cool but there are a lot of people that concider a 15 min wait in the doctors "waiting room" to be a horrible inconvienence. A whole bunch more that feel a hour or more is insufferable. (Of course I used to know an OMD who felt he should charge for two hours of his time because they spent an hour in the "waiting room" and 20 at check out. There are many hypertensive types who "just can't understand why the doctor thinks his time is more valuable than thiers. Hense a lot of people that " Were seeing well enough, and just want some new ones."
    Who are we to be stuards of thier convictions?

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you email the Ohio Optical Board and ask them directly? Their email is: odb@odb.ohio.gov

You can also email/contact the Ohio Optometry Board: Optometry.Board@exchange.state.oh.us

Why not get the word from the horses mouth, rather than asking people worldwide that have no real idea?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    Why don't you email the Ohio Optical Board and ask them directly? Their email is: odb@odb.ohio.gov

You can also email/contact the Ohio Optometry Board: Optometry.Board@exchange.state.oh.us

Why not get the word from the horses mouth, rather than asking people worldwide that have no real idea?
    I've said the same thing on similar threads numerous times. I still have no idea why people get on an international forum and ask locality-specific questions. The answers rarely apply to the jurisdiction in question. For that matter, the answers are often just opinions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Barry: That's cool but there are a lot of people that concider a 15 min wait in the doctors "waiting room" to be a horrible inconvienence. A whole bunch more that feel a hour or more is insufferable. (Of course I used to know an OMD who felt he should charge for two hours of his time because they spent an hour in the "waiting room" and 20 at check out. There are many hypertensive types who "just can't understand why the doctor thinks his time is more valuable than thiers. Hense a lot of people that " Were seeing well enough, and just want some new ones."
    Who are we to be stuards of thier convictions?

Chip
    ha ha, I hope you at least offer the refraction to them. Because these are the same people that hate even worse, to come back, get an exam and wait even longer for the next Rx to get made, because their old, ancient Rx is no longer good for them. Talking about a waste of time and a ****** off client. And when the old Rx doesn't work, please don't waste time calling the doc who originally wrote the Rx that is now old as the hills, or let the patient make that phone call - we get these calls from time to time and it is, well.... purty sad.... In some cases, now this same person makes the drive over to the doctors office, and we have to neutralize the glasses, yep, they right, lets get you in the exam chair, oooops, your vision has changed, oh darn. You better drive on over there and get a new Rx put in these glasses. But that is after the client and dispensing office has already blamed us for a bad Rx and we have to rationalize with the pt the Rx is old and their vision probably has changed - didn't the person who filled this tell you this might occur? Its all just such a huge dis-service to all involved.

BTW Chip - it seems that many of our pts think their time is more valuable than the docs, answering cell phones in exam room, ect I guess we just make them feel at ease. Maybe your going to the wrong doctor??? We don't have that attitude in our office, its old school, so yesterday. You're welcome to come see us next time you need an eye exam if you can't seem to find a doc w/o this attitude. But please, don't bring your old ancient Rx

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To Navychief and Wes, thanks for suggesting some web-sites but i had already been there and searching their site for Expiration date of spectacle or contact lens Rx came up with no results. After reading through the ohio revised code, it is apparent that there is NO Ohio law that the Rx expires , EVER. But, it does reference the Federal Fairness to contact lens consumer's act that mandates contact lens Rx's to expire no LESS than a year unless a medically documented reason exists. Thanks to all your replies.

Thread Information