Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you used radio's in your office for group communication?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Have you used radio's in your office for group communication?

The Motorola kind that everyone retailer seems to use, with headsets. How was you experience? Did it work well? Was interference from other stores a problem?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    The Motorola kind that everyone retailer seems to use, with headsets. How was you experience? Did it work well? Was interference from other stores a problem?
    Last edited by Diopterman; 11-04-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Wrong radio!

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know of any optical shop big enough to need those....
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    " Optician down by Rayban rack! Send back-up, stat!"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We need a cleanup in aisle Discontinued!!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You guys are hilarious. We're thinking about using it from a doctor/patient focused point of view, I'm probably asking the wrong crowd, probably should be asking technician oriented crews rather than a bunch of prankster opticians

Sometimes the doctor comes crawling out of the darkness of the secluded exam room and when patient is ready, has no idea where anyone is at. Rather than wandering around from room to room looking for someone and leaving the patient hanging, we can communicate using this. This time saver allows doc to be finishing charts rather than walking around uselessly. Sometimes someone is busy with a walk-in and doc doesn't know that either. there are lots of reasons why a tech or optician can't be available when the patient is ready and this allows available person to realize it and be at the patient's service...... looking for ever more smooooother and efficient flow....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I can see how that might be helpful in a larger practice like yours apparently is. But you could probably interface everyone's smart phone with bluetooth earpieces and do OK too.
    Around here, when the DR comes out of the indoor outhouse we use for exams, there's a trail of toilet paper for the patients to follow.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're thinking about using it from a doctor/patient focused point of view.
    I could definitely see the case for such an application. I once worked with an MD that suffered from late onset halitosis (actually we suffered more than he did). If the doctor had communicated with the patient via a radio headset, we probably would have had a higher patient retention rate.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use an in-house pager system. The program is on every computer, and you highlight the person (or people) you want to text, and you can type in your message or choose a default message. You can also send a group of texts to a designated list of people. For example, the doc needs pressures taken on a patient, so a page is sent out saying "Tonos in room 2, then to checkout" or "Tonos room 4, then dilate OU." Only the employees that perform Tonos will get that page. It works really well for us.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office is so small you can't even go to the bathroom in peace but my dentist's office uses what looks like a Bluetooth device for their staff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    We use an in-house pager system. The program is on every computer, and you highlight the person (or people) you want to text, and you can type in your message or choose a default message. You can also send a group of texts to a designated list of people. For example, the doc needs pressures taken on a patient, so a page is sent out saying "Tonos in room 2, then to checkout" or "Tonos room 4, then dilate OU." Only the employees that perform Tonos will get that page. It works really well for us.
    Sounds effective. Are you talking about the old fashion pagers or text to cell phones?

How do people coordinate who is going to respond to the page/text?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds effective. Are you talking about the old fashion pagers or text to cell phones?

How do people coordinate who is going to respond to the page/text?
    Yeah, these are actual pagers. It doesn't have text-back capabilities. You have to answer back from a computer. As long as everyone puts their initials after their outgoing message (typed up at a computer), the recipient can respond to the original sender.

In the case of multiple recipients, whoever isn't with a patient at the time basically drops what she is doing to answer the call. The first one there does whatever is needed, and the rest go back to work. We've been using it for a few years now, and we've gotten really used to it. Occasionally, I'll have a texting conversation with another gal about whatever nonsense is going on, but we really don't abuse it. Nobody wants to be interrupted with chatting while she's working. :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HIPPA violation or embarrassment to the practice waiting to happen. Most of those radios are not encrypted digital and operate in the 150mHz high band range. They can be monitored by any inexpensive radio scanner. When I used to do ambulance calls you would not believe how often we would be about to transport the little old lady and hear our own radio transmissions over her scanner running in the next room. Be very careful of what you say. More people than you realize are listening.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's the frequency Kenneth?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.comppage.com/index.html

This is the company where we got our paging system. I'm sure there are others out there, and I imagine they all pretty much do the same thing.

Side note: I'd always wondered how on, say "House," how the docs all knew "the patient's crashing!" just by looking at their pagers (and why they all went off at once. Some nurse/receptionist was dialing thier pagers fast). I was thinking of the old-fashioned kind that just display a phone number. Little did I know I'd be using the same technology. . .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the link. Looking around over there, I'm getting the impression these are self contained units, no need to pay a service provider a monthly fee to have paging service, its all done right in the office? Is that correct?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep. We have a "server" that is kind of the brains for transmitting. The pagers can receive a page up to almost a mile away, but it's totally independant. We don't receive phantom pages from the hospital across the street or anything wierd like that. The only bug we've come across is when the battery (AAA) in the pager is way totally low, sometimes random characters come across. But it gives you warning about low battery.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do use these at our office. Pretty much everyone up front is wired. This includes: Reception desks and all Opticians, Techs, MDs and ODs. When a Dr is just about finishing up with a Pt they call for an Optician and pass them off to us in optical. This allows us to look at their INS and print out an RX and discuss possible purchases. Then Optical hands them off to the reception to check out for their exam.

Works pretty well for us. Of course we all work on the same channel so when others are talking you get to hear that conversation in your ear. So when we are sitting and selling to patients I take my ear piece out so I don't become distracted by the noise ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    We do use these at our office. Pretty much everyone up front is wired. This includes: Reception desks and all Opticians, Techs, MDs and ODs. When a Dr is just about finishing up with a Pt they call for an Optician and pass them off to us in optical. This allows us to look at their INS and print out an RX and discuss possible purchases. Then Optical hands them off to the reception to check out for their exam.

Works pretty well for us. Of course we all work on the same channel so when others are talking you get to hear that conversation in your ear. So when we are sitting and selling to patients I take my ear piece out so I don't become distracted by the noise ;)
    Thanks for your reply! If you don't mind a few questions

Are you picking up radio chatter from nearby businesses?
    Do you like hearing your own office chatter when your not with a pt?
    Do you have a nice way to wear it?
    What model are you using?

Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No problem:

1) No, none of the business around us, that I know of, are using radios, and we have a Chiro and Plastic surgeon in the same building, so no other chatter. **Though I forgot to take mine out one time and went out to the garage, about 100 feet away and suddenly heard voices in my head!!! And of course I started laughing out loud ;-)

2) The chatter almost becomes like background noise. It is not constant by any means, as we all know that what we say, everyone, including the Dr who owns the practice, can hear what we say. So we try to keep it to a minimum as a courtesy. **Also there are a few people like the reception mgr, HR people, billing people, basically "back office" people who are not wired, and if someone is looking for them they can say "hey is anyone around "Joe", if so have him call ext 1234" etc. So its an easy way to track people instead of searching the whole office, which isn't always fun.

3) I try to camouflage it as much as possible. the radio I keep in my pocket and I run the wire under and up my shirt. We have a clip with on the microphone/talk piece that I clip to my collar or where my buttons are on my polo (if that makes sense) then I run the rest of the wire to my shoulder (Where we have another clip, you can run yours to the back of your shirt/collar) and then the ear piece goes up and around into my ear. Basically kind of the same way the CIA etc use these.

Others in my office use the clip that comes with it to hold the radio and clip it to their belt and then a clip to their collar then the ear piece in so everything is visible.

4) I believe we are using Mototola, I will check at work tomorrow and post when i get back.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No problem:

4) I believe we are using Mototola, I will check at work tomorrow and post when i get back.
    Thank you! I think Motorola is pretty much the standard - if you could let us know the specific model that would be great! Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No problem:

1) No, none of the business around us, that I know of, are using radios, and we have a Chiro and Plastic surgeon in the same building, so no other chatter. **Though I forgot to take mine out one time and went out to the garage, about 100 feet away and suddenly heard voices in my head!!! And of course I started laughing out loud ;-)

2) The chatter almost becomes like background noise. It is not constant by any means, as we all know that what we say, everyone, including the Dr who owns the practice, can hear what we say. So we try to keep it to a minimum as a courtesy. **Also there are a few people like the reception mgr, HR people, billing people, basically "back office" people who are not wired, and if someone is looking for them they can say "hey is anyone around "Joe", if so have him call ext 1234" etc. So its an easy way to track people instead of searching the whole office, which isn't always fun.

3) I try to camouflage it as much as possible. the radio I keep in my pocket and I run the wire under and up my shirt. We have a clip with on the microphone/talk piece that I clip to my collar or where my buttons are on my polo (if that makes sense) then I run the rest of the wire to my shoulder (Where we have another clip, you can run yours to the back of your shirt/collar) and then the ear piece goes up and around into my ear. Basically kind of the same way the CIA etc use these.

Others in my office use the clip that comes with it to hold the radio and clip it to their belt and then a clip to their collar then the ear piece in so everything is visible.

So, completely not important, but has anyone forgot to turn off and gone to the bathroom while wearing them? This would be my greatest fear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    So, completely not important, but has anyone forgot to turn off and gone to the bathroom while wearing them? This would be my greatest fear.
    LOL!!!

Now that is funny stuff right there!

{What happened to the cheers thingyies?}

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    While we don't use these at my current job I have had both jobs (retail) and hobbies (theatre) that have communicated via headset and it works well as long as everyone is prepared to use them professionally. Make sure the ones you get are PTT (push to talk) not VOX (voice activated) and have at least 10-15 channels available so that you can find a clear channel. For finding someone when you can't find them they're great. For brief instructions very good... for longer instructions not so good...

I've been considering investing in them at my shop to check lab inventory without leaving the floor or to communicate with the staff working with patients when one will be coming over to the dispensary (there's a wall in our way).

If you do it let us know how it worked for you!

Rachel

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office has an intercomm system in every room. It was interesting one time when a patient fainted after getting eyedrops and our OD called the help message while holding the patient in the other hand. ROOM 11 STAT !

WELCOME BACK FEZZ !!!
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 11-11-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to welcome back Fezz

Thread Information