Thread: Where to buy stock Lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Where to buy stock Lenses

Hello Everyone,

I work in a retail store but i don't have my own store. I wanted to know where i can purchase stock uncut lenses, that wont require it going through a business or credit checks and all that. Its mostly for personal use and i only wanted a few pairs (like 4 or 5). Is there any place that will allow such an order ?

Thanks in advance.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

try cl distributors

Contact lens distributors often sell blanks (ABB/concise does).

And most labs sell uncuts also.

but you need to use your store account as most will not sell to an outsider. Best to talk to your manager as you don't want the appearance of doing outside work outside your job.

Harry
    Last edited by harry888; 11-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by illdot View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I work in a retail store but i don't have my own store. I wanted to know where i can purchase stock uncut lenses, that wont require it going through a business or credit checks and all that. Its mostly for personal use and i only wanted a few pairs (like 4 or 5). Is there any place that will allow such an order ?

Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like you want to "backdoor" some work. Not a good plan.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Wish I could help, but we only supply by batch , 25 pair minimum.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    Many labs will sell COD. As suggested, your first step should be to research company policy.
    Last edited by Speed; 11-03-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    Optical Distributor Group

www.opticaldg.com

Upside: Order as many or as few as you want.

Downside: Shipping is high. Selection limited. Vendor ID needed to open an account for tax reasons.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There are lots of lens houses now that vend onesies twosies without an account. Try National Lens or Stormin' Norman (Google them). But if only a couple pair, why not ask your employer if you can get a couple at cost?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you a consumer trying to buy uncut lenses at wholesale prices to bring to a retail store to edge? If you work for a place why not just order them through that account and give your "boss" the money for these lenses you want for personal use? this doesnt sound so "kosher" to me

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    nail on the head me thinks.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Yup, I think so too. I do, however, have some Photgrey stockers I would sell him if I have the right powers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Yup, I think so too. I do, however, have some Photgrey stockers I would sell him if I have the right powers.
    What kind of photo Greys do you stock? Sunsensors? Or some small stock labs house brand? I do a hell of a lot of trans I was looking to place a small stock order

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyEyes View Post
    What kind of photo Greys do you stock? Sunsensors? Or some small stock labs house brand? I do a hell of a lot of trans I was looking to place a small stock order
    These are not cheap plastic imitations, they are real optically superior GLASS made by Coburn. These are the real Photogrey from Corning.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ohh glass. It's a nice product, but glass we hardly do at all. I got a nice price from Hoya on a bank of 130 pr of stock trivex transitions -no ar. If your looking to stock other materials give em a call, they're great.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am proud of you!

Trivex in Brooklyn!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I am proud of you!

Trivex in Brooklyn!!!!
    Lol thanks Lenny, I've been trying to convince my employer to stop selling poly all together

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for advice guys, and no I am not just a consumer trying to get lenses.. if i was how would i get them edged? lol. but my company is very strict about at cost purchases (meaning it doesn't happen), and i would never just do it without authorization. And to answer the other speculation, no i am not trying to do back door sales; that only leads to problems and headaches. I just own a lot of opt frames and I wanted a way to order for lenses for myself (and an occasional favor for a family member) at wholesale instead of retail... and my comp also restricts employee purchases to 2 a year, with over a dozen frames, I'm sure you can all understand why i am trying to find a way around this... lol

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spuds like your company sucks! That really is a little over the top with the strict discount policies for employees. Well in any case there's many small labs that sell finished lenses for good prices, in flushing queens there's a place called "crystal-lite optical" it's a small one man run operation, don't think he'll check credit and you may be able to order some small things with proof of working in the field.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    thanks phillyeyes, i actually travel to NY like 4 times a year, so that might work out.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    They actually treat everyone pretty darn good, and pay well. (which again is why i would never back door the sales) but employee purchases is the one thing they do suck at. I'm still used to my old companies policies where we could order as much as we liked as long as we weren't selling it to others.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell me what you want and I will do it for you at cost + a few $$; I can get what ever you need and will edge them to perfection.
    Let me know.

Craig

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am looking for a bunch (something like between 10 and 50) lenses with 0.50D power. Other powers are of no interest. They are not for glasses, so size (or even shape) does not matter, even lenses which were edged improperly are fine- this is for a sun telescope, and we are only using the central 5MM to 8mm of the lens. also, if you are interested in plans- they are free for the asking, but will not be mailed after 8/12/17 as I am headed for Oregon to view the eclipse. The reason I want these lenses is because I give any interested patient a copy of the plans for the sun telescope, but most have no idea what a 0.50D lens IS, let alone how to get one. So my idea is to get a bunch and sell them to interested patients at cost any help will be appreciated. To contact me outside of the board, email eyesguymodesto@gmail.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thread Information